TSU new possible in-state rivalry game

Mean'n'Green07

My girlfriends a senator for the SGA, today she told me something interesting about her meeting. Apparently our student government is 'declaring war' on southwest texas state in order to create a texas rival. The rivarly if it exists will be called 'the texas showdown'

From my knowledge they are talking to the athletic department about possibly scheduling the last game each year for TSU and perhaps get a corporate sponser and trophy for it.

A couple of interesting points made in the 'decleration' (which we are sending to their student body) were:

-anytime a student hears the words 'texas state' they will shout 'Southwest sucks!'

-Lyndon B. Johnson, TSU's most famous Alum was one of the worst U.S. presidents

-Bobcat is a lame mascot and scrappy could kick his butt; beating a D-II team will boost our confidence

At first I thought TSU would make a crappy rival, but if both universities continue to grow I think it could draw up some interest for both sides.

SMU is the only school we should be doing this with. They are next door to us...........anything else would be crazy.

Also: I can see someone who is just on the SGA and not much of a football fan thinking this would be a great idea. Someone who thinks we can just tack on a game at the end of the season no problem. Those same type of people will ask me "Why is it UT never comes to Fouts?"

Edited by Zeke

A fantastic idea..................if we were still in the SLC and 1-AA. Did they or did they not consult with our AD before all this with Texas State began from their part?

Does our NT SGA know the difference "A" letter in "NCAA" makes even for their future professions in the the DFW Metroplex work-place if they graduate and stay in DFW? One "A" letter too many can get NT back on the statewide "poor perception of our school" bandwagon that many of us who have worked in DFW the last umpteen years can tell our young SGA'ers all about (if they would only ask, that is). Those of us who remember 12 long years in NCAA 1-AA may still wonder how long it will still take our school to recover from that era.

But keep those ideas that concerns NT Athletics a-comin' in SGA'ers, just don't forget what division of the NCAA we are in (and plan to stay in), though. cool.gif

TSU has never come close to a 15K per game average at any time in their history last I checked (not that we are setting the woods on fire in that department, either.....yet).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

ok, i thought the same thing at first.

Realistically speaking now: SMU won't acknowledge us let alone be rivals, TCU-not a shot, Baylor-do i really need to say anything, UH-Good pick, I'm not sure why they're left out

After being outscored 100+ points to 9 by two mediocre teams im the past two weeks, you really think any half decent team would want to start a real yearly rival with us?

Realistically speaking now: SMU won't acknowledge us let alone be rivals, TCU-not a shot, Baylor-do i really need to say anything, UH-Good pick, I'm not sure why they're left out

After being outscored 100+ points to 9 by two mediocre teams im the past two weeks,  you really think any half decent team would want to start a real yearly rival with us?

SMU has been in talks with us in keeping the series going (per RV statement this year). Rivalies are longstanding...............a 100+ point differential in 2 games in 2005 means nothing in 2050. Rivalries are regional. The closer the better.

I am not sure why you think SMU won't acknowledge us. We have a home and home set up with them and I think they are finally understanding the importance of regional opponents and attendance.

After being outscored 100+ points to 9 by two mediocre teams im the past two weeks,  you really think any half decent team would want to start a real yearly rival with us?

No disrespect to anyone about all these threads, posts and comments concerning our last 2 games that we (in deed) lost, but why have those 2 games suddenly become the bell cow for our entire Mean Green athletic program's past, present and future?

And all this with a Mean Green football program that has given us many televised (& most satisfying) wins the last 5 years, 4 bowl games in a row and with a bowl victory over the CUSA football co-champion which even a few on this board are now pooh-poohin'?

So some of you want to play (and beat) a Top 5 ranked Texas Longhorn's football program you say? Well, then go blow up Fouts Field, give those Big Bucks so we can turn dirt next week for our new stadium and then go out and raise enough money to quadruple our present football budget. (We are not even in the athletic budget ball parks of those last 2 teams who beat our team the last 2 weeks).

I often wonder now how many Texas/Oklahoma blue chip athletes (you know, the kind that can help us win those OOC games) read this board and immediatley X us off their list of schools they'd be interested because of the kind of posts that get posted on this board on a regular basis after merely a loss or 2? Anyone think those blue chips might moreso want to attend a school who has alums/fans that have that "12'th Man" type attitude and spirit, and that over some NT alums who want to burn the barn down after almost every Mean Green loss claiming all is lost and beyond repair (which is tantamount to having your arm amputated because you discovered a seed wart on your index finger)? sad.gif

GMG!

PS Some schools have had their own worse home loss in school history (UCLA 67**UT 7 @ DKR) and have come back (very) strong with their football program. With Texas, that loss even after all those great recruiting classes they annually bring in down in Austin. ohmy.gif Hmmm? UT Coach Mack Brown must have been playing a whole bunch of first year & inexperienced UT football players during that UCLA loss, eh? unsure.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think TCU will always be SMU's main rival -- but I can see an SMU/UNT series having some intensity a la Texas/Texas Tech (not saying either team is nearly as good as those -- just how it's kind of a second rivalry game for the teams).

UNT and UH seem to be "natural" rivals... large state schools, etc. But I still think that a UNT/UH game would draw around 16-17k either place. I think a UNT/SMU game would probably draw 20-22k in bad years, and close to 30k if towards the beginning of the season or in a year where both were good. UNT/UH is a great rivalry on paper -- kind of like SMU/Tulane ... and that "rivalry" game brought in around 16k for us. Not that we should expect any better given the results this year, but still ... I would think a SMU/UNT match-up would draw much better.

SMU-TCU/Baylor

Texas-Oklahoma/Texas A&M

Houston-Rice

Texas A&M-Texas Tech (this has developed into a huge rivalry.. .they are going to start playing one another in the new stadium in arlington a la Red River Shootout)

I think its fine IF Texas State becomes D1A and joins the belt, in that case it would probably occur naturally... but I dont know that I want to be associated with TSU. I would prefer a school like Houston, as we are on similar playing fields ACADEMICALLY, of similar size, etc...

Edited by Eagle1855

My girlfriends a senator for the SGA, today she told me something interesting about her meeting. Apparently our student government is 'declaring war' on southwest texas state in order to create a texas rival. The rivarly if it exists will be called 'the texas showdown'

From my knowledge they are talking to the athletic department about possibly scheduling the last game each year for TSU and perhaps get a corporate sponser and trophy for it.

A couple of interesting points made in the 'decleration' (which we are sending to their student body) were:

-anytime a student hears the words 'texas state' they will shout 'Southwest sucks!'

-Lyndon B. Johnson, TSU's most famous Alum was one of the worst U.S. presidents

-Bobcat is a lame mascot and scrappy could kick his butt; beating a D-II team will boost our confidence

At first I thought TSU would make a crappy rival, but if both universities continue to grow I think it could draw up some interest for both sides.

See, this is what I mean by student apathy. These student council geeks probably don't even know there's a distinction between I-A and I-AA. Dumb.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

See, this is what I mean by student apathy.  These student council geeks probably don't even know there's a distinction between I-A and I-AA.  Dumb.

....or they are being proactive and anticipating that TSU will soon become I-A. Why jump to a negative conclusion about students at your own school??

It seems to me that this rivalry would work better on the basketball court for now. If the SGA approaches it from that angle, then you wouldn't have to worry about scheduling a I-AA football team every year and worry about the perception problems if we were to lose that game. TSU plays I-A basketball, last time I checked, and scheduling them wouldn't bring a big perception problem upon us. Then, if down the road TSU upgrades their football to I-A then we are already half way down the rivalry road....

Edited by TIgreen01

....or they are being proactive and anticipating that TSU will soon become I-A.  Why jump to a negative conclusion about students at your own school??

Attendance figures. And the fact that we're I-A and they're I-AA.

The point of moving the program forward is, strangely enough, to move it forward. Reaching back to monkey with I-AA schools to the extent of "creating" a rivalry is moving backward.

Texas Tech, Houston, UTEP, Tulsa, La. Tech...any other regional I-A school will do.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

TSU

Texas Southern University ?

Tarleton State University ?

Texas State University ?

On a serious note Jim Wacker tried to persude TSU ( then SWTSU ) to try to move to DI when he was AD shortly before his death.

There was no interest in that Universitie's community , lack of a fan base made this quest only a pipe dream. What is their avg. attendance ? The games I have attended there may have drawn 6,000. cool.gif

....or they are being proactive and anticipating that TSU will soon become I-A.  Why jump to a negative conclusion about students at your own school??

This is the same board who three weeks ago pretty much said Dickey was the best coach of all time after one victory. Two losses later there are topics about buying out his contract and basically running him out of town with an angry mob wink.gif so what did I expect posting something possible that the sga is doing to improve attendance. Maybe they are on the wrong track which probably is right, but at least they are active and care.

By the way, LBJ was a great president beside the fact he failed miserably in the Vietnam War and had some of the lowest approval rates of all time.