NT's future

El Paso Eagle

I know the first response is win both.

I know everyone is focused on the conference winning streak and winning another conference championship, however for the future of our program is it more important for UNT to have success in our out of conference games against schools like Tulsa and LaTech? While winning the Belt is great, winning the belt withour OOC wins against D1 teams will hurt us.

While winning the Belt is great, winning the belt withour OOC wins against D1 teams will hurt us.

How will getting the leagues only guaranteed Bowl spot hurt the team. I want NT to win every game that it plays, but winning the Belt guarantees a Bowl game, and more revenue and exposure for the school. That is what athletics is about, exposure for the school, which increases enrollment.

Do I want to win against Tulsa and La. Tech? You Bet I do, but a bowl berth will get the program more press than a win in any of those games.

Now when we get to the point where we upset Miami or Texas then I'd debate on that for publicity.

We've won conference championships and continue to dominate the conference. But we haven't done squat outside the SBC except Baylor 2 years ago. We've gained as much respect as we will until we start winning outside the SBC on a continual basis also.

North Texas should concentrate on winning wvery game played. Non-conference wins get more exposure for the school though. It would be nice if we could upset K-State this season (Dickey's old school) but it won't likely happen. A new stadium sure would look nice, sitting right next to I-35, and even nicer if it were filled to capacity.

They are all VERY important... In order of Priority:

1. Win OOC Games (As in THIS WEEKEND)

2. Win the 'Belt (As in this year)

3. Build a New Stadium (As in This Decade)

In otherwords, the most important thing for this team is what is NEXT. In this case, it's an OCC game. Ask this question to me the week we play our last 'Belt opponent to clinch the 'Belt, and I'll vote for Win the Belt first.

At this point, I think we have a self-feeding system, where winning the 'Belt means we attract good recruits, and therefore we'll keep winning the 'Belt. Of course, we need to start winning OOC games, but that will start happening as long as we continue scheduling "mid-majors" such as Tulsa, La Tech and lesser "BCS" schools rather than top 5 schools like UT, LSU, & OU.

But I voted for the stadium, since I believe that getting the stadium built will show that there is continued support from the administration and the BOR. If that support disappears, then not only will the stadium not get built, but RV and DD might decide to go elsewhere (not that I expect either to be here forever). And what kind of AD and/or coach would take over after that, with no BOR/Admin support? Instead of being on the way up, we'd be on the way down.

In other words, the selection of a new president and the appointment of new regents are most important.

I also think a new stadium likely will help with recruiting, improve attendance, and could make the difference in making the next step up to a new conference.