Facilities Update

DeepGreen

Are they building a new soccer stadium or just re-sodding the old one?  I don't remember that being in the Liberty Christian plan.

They're leveling and re-sodding the existing football field to make the new women's soccer field. I've also heard of plans to add a press box and rennovate the stands at some point. ph34r.gif

New facilities pictures.  Tennis complex, Fouts, soccer, offices, etc.  Be sure to click on the photo album link.

Athletic Facilities

:)

This is really nice that the athletic department is now doing this weekly update and providing all the photographs. We renewed our Mean Green Club membership this week and I was able to show my wife a few of the outstanding improvements that are being made at the university. The new soccer facility is going to be incredible compared to where most colleges play.

I can't think of any college that has built so many facilities in such a short period of time.

Kudos to Dr Pohl, Rick V and our whole North Texas Athletic Department.

I can't think of any college that has built so many facilities in such a short period of time.

.....or needed to! Seriously, for those that have been around for a while, did you ever think we would see this much progress in the athletic department and facilities? Simply outstanding!

Keith

They're leveling and re-sodding the existing football field to make the new women's soccer field. I've also heard of plans to add a press box and rennovate the stands at some point. ph34r.gif

I've heard form RV that the plan is to level and sod the field, add a stone and iron fence like what surrounds the new football practice fields. They also plan to build a new pressbox and elevator (elevator is required to comply with the ADA act, any new construction to public facilities has to be ADA compliant).

This is really nice that the athletic department is now doing this weekly update and providing all the photographs. We renewed our Mean Green Club membership this week and I was able to show my wife a few of the outstanding improvements that are being made at the university. The new soccer facility is going to be incredible compared to where most colleges play.

Kudos to Dr Pohl, Rick V and our whole North Texas Athletic Department.

ADLER, the only thing I can compare all this construction of numerous athletic's venues to is when a city is preparing for the Olympics for heaven's sake! biggrin.gif Of course, NT's is on a smaller scale than that, but I can't think of any other comparisons on a collegiate level.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I shudder to think what this all would have meant to our University had it taken place 25+ years ago. ph34r.gif

Can we say, "conference of our choosing" without any kind of petty politics preventing it whatsoever?

IMO, Texas Stadium actually proved to be a stumbling-block to NORTH TEXAS for the new stadium part of all this because Hayden Fry thought we could play the Big Boys in the home of the Cowboys and play the rest in Denton.

If Texas Stadium back in the day had never been a consideration as a place for us to play, I really feel AD and Head FB Coach Fry would have been out raising funds to build a new stadium when it would have been a helluva' lot cheaper back then; OR just do a dramatic make-over of Fouts Field (without a track).

DG, it was 25 or so years ago when many of us thought we should have been doing every bit of this; but I am glad that it is happening now because I think we'd all agree--better late than never?

Betcha never thought Fouts would outlive Texas Stadium blink.gif

You know, UNTLifer, I can remember driving up from Houston to Denton to visit my (then) girl friend (a TWU music major) and watching Texas Stadium rise from the Texas prairie. It seemed funny to me that Clint and John (Lupe's husband) Murchison were having a stadum built by the City of Irving that would have a hole right in the center of the roof.

With gobal warming heating up, I think if they'd had it to do all over again they might have had a retractable roof put in on Texas Stadium..... JUST LIKE THE CITY OF ARLINGTON AND THE TEXAS RANGERS FOOLISHLY DID NOT DO.sad.gif

I followed with interest the construction of Texas Stadium, drove by it one day as it was about half built. I recall that the first official event at Texas Stadium was not a Cowboy game but rather a Billy Graham Crusade. So I guess in that regard, God from the git-go had more reasons to look down into the hole of that roof rather than just watching His favorite team, eh? smile.gif

Yes, UNTLifer, it does sorta' bother some of us that while the Dallas Cowboys will soon be playing in their 3'rd football stadium since 1960, NT will still be in its 1951 built on-campus football stadium, but not for long from all accounts.

BUILD IT!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Fouts may outlive us. sad.gif

And we'll be back to TX stadium before we ever fill Fouts!! No top 50 team will EVER come to Denton and we'll either play at a Dallas venue or watch SMU bring the big draws to town. Denton will once again prove for the umpteenth time that it cares nothing about big time college football. I see Fouts being here for my lifetime as the $$ just aren't there and may not ever be. The students had a vote to show their lack of interest and close the door on the best chance for a new stadium. Dream on " just build it Boys" but it ain't gonna happen without a huge donor who sees a valid business purpose to make such a sizeable investment. laugh.gif

SMU had 4 Big Donors who built their $40 something million football stadium YET I still say this....

If a small college........located in a small town........... in a part of the USA that has hardly ever been known to be a garden spot of thriving American economy; anyway, if Troy U of Troy, Alabama (pop. 10,000?) can do what they did with their very nice, modern college football stadium, in my heart of hearts I just have to feel even little ol' NORTH TEXAS can just struggle right along with our "we po' but proud" attitude and (miracle of miracles) still build a new football stadium at Eagle Point. NT can even use, uh, "TROY U" as a model to build that a new football stadium. Any of you think it strange that NT would use Troy U (a fine school BTW) as a model?sad.gif

You know, when Bill Yeoman of UH retired, their administration hired their ex football coach as a fund-raiser extraordinaire for the University of Houston athletic program. It can be done just like that and even at North Texas

We have an ex football coach who was at one time AD and Head FB Coach at SMU & had that job for well over 10 years. In those 10 plus years in Dallas, Texas, Hayden Fry developed more contact$ in Big D than the last 5 North Texas AD's combined AND yet we don't hire this ex "NT" head football coach at least as a consultant (a la Gene Stallings who received a pretty nice pay check from NT as a short term consultant)?

Stallings couldn't have served more than 6-8 months as a consultant at NT, but 1-2 years would probably be all that we would need with Hayden Fry because of who he knows and because of who knows him. Coach Fry didn't spend over 10 years as SMU's AD and head football coach without getting to know some of Dallas' wealthiest and elite.

" If a small college........located in a small town........... in a part of the USA that has hardly ever been known to be a garden spot of thriving American economy; anyway, if Troy U of Troy, Alabama (pop. 10,000?) can do what they did with their very nice, modern college football stadium, in my heart of hearts I just have to feel even little ol' NORTH TEXAS can just struggle right along with our "we po' but proud" attitude and (miracle of miracles) still build a new football stadium at Eagle Point. NT can even use, uh, "TROY U" as a model to build that a new football stadium. Any of you think it strange that NT would use Troy U (a fine school BTW) as a model?"

I totally agree with you on this. If troy can build movie gallery stadium, we can build a 45,000 or more seat natural grass stadium. Im not exactly sure where we would put it, but i think if they tried to get the money they could. Hopefully in the next 5 years somethings happens.