CFN's 2005 C-USA Preview

Eagle1855

C-USA West--- UTEP, 9-2 (7-1)

In the East the winner is projected to be Southern Miss 7-4 (6-2)

Also of interest, SMU is projected to put up a whopping a dead a$$ last record of 1-10 (1-7)... how demoralizing.

UH-  5-6 (4-4)

Rice- 4-7 (4-4)

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Confere...USA_Preview.htm

---If they can't improve attendence this year they should just give up. They have six (6) Texas teams on their schedule and four of them are home games. If they can't put fans in the stands perhaps their opponent can.

---I expect they will win more than the predicted one....but it would hurt my feelings any to see a fat zero in their win column....since they have always been so nice and supportive of us.

---SouthernStang who posts here seems ok but he is the exception to most SMU alums I have known. Maybe the new breed of pony is better than the old ones, most of the older ones are kin to "mules*" not horses.

*polite term

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Let's take a quick look at UTEP's schedule:

09/03 at New Mexico St 8:00 PM - Big win as NMSU is changing systems

09/16 Houston TBD - tough game - but they have them at home. Kolb is a good QB and Houston has athletes. I'll go with UofH.

09/24 New Mexico TBD - this will be a tough game, New Mexico is pretty stout this year. I'll lean towards UNM although UTEP gets them at home.

10/01 at Memphis TBD - welcome to CUSA UTEP. Memphis should win this big

10/14 at Tulane TBD - Tulane can be tough at home but this is a winnable game.

10/22 Marshall TBD - seems like Marshall is down this year after losing Pruett

10/29 at Rice TBD - UTEP will beat poor Rice

11/05 Tulsa TBD - UTEP should win this game although Tulsa has some talent

11/12 Tex South TBD ? Texas Southern? Wow talk about dumbing down the schedule.

11/19 UAB TBD - UAB has Hackney and will be VERY tough this year.

11/26 at SMU 3:00 PM - should beat SMU.

record: 7-4. Interesting because based on my projections the Texas Southern game gets them a winning record. But look at this - there are NO BCS programs on this schedule. We have 2. Every game on their schedule is winnable with the possible exception of Memphis. They are playing tougher conference competition although getting Rice, SMU and Tulane make it more managable. It is very clear however that their attendance is allowing them to schedule for success. Their non-conference games include a rebuilding NMSU, D II Texas Southern, and Mountain West rival New Mexico all three winnable games. We get LSU, K-State, La Tech and Tulsa. Even the most ardent of Mean Green fans would say we are lucky to go 2-2 in those games. UTEP opens with NMSU which will give them confidence. We open with LSU which will, we'll um..g'day.

If we only win 1 game this year -- Bennett better be gone, and they better bring in a big-name coach that will at least draw fans b/c of his name alone, I don't care how much its costs. Raise tutition another $5k a year, hell-it's already $36,692 per year for everything now! Another $5g's is chump change! Besides, I just graduated haha. They have to win 4-5 games MINIMUM this year to show improvement and that things are on the right track.

If we don't average over 20k with Baylor, TCU, Tulane, Rice, ECU, and UTEP -- then our marketing department people should be unemployed at the season's end.

Oh, we need a new Athletic Director, too. Copeland has successfully kept our program afloat in country-club sports ... which as you know is a MAJOR feat and very DIFFICULT to do at SMU. Too bad the only sports that bring in $$$ he's been about as helpful as a square wheel...

If we don't average over 20k with Baylor, TCU, Tulane, Rice, ECU, and UTEP -- then our marketing department people should be unemployed at the season's end.

If we average over 20K plus this Fall our marketing people would become folk heros for many of us on this board, especially with the off-beat home schedule, ie, a Tuesday night game and a Saturday-after-Thanksgiving game. Some might even want to start building statues in their honor. rolleyes.gif