MUTS will defeat NT this season

Bulletin board material ?

Here's what they're sayin' about the article on the Muts board.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/mtraiders/m...es/?msg=32612.1

Blue Raiders will defeat North Texas this season

Sports Commentary

By Jonathan Hutton

Published: Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

It's coming. The Blue Raider Football season will kick off before you know it, and this season, the fans should prepare for a winning season. "Why?" you ask. The question should rather be why not.

Everything seems to be playing into our favor this year. I know it's early, but our schedule, returning players, coaching staff and athletics department easily give MT a pre-season edge, even with the loss of Rogers and Fiveash.

Even though you'll find me in Tuscaloosa Sept. 3, what I am looking forward to is the home opener against North Texas a week later.

The Blue Raiders will more than likely catch North Texas coming off a beating by the hands of Louisiana State in week one before traveling to the 'Boro to open up Sun Belt Conference play.

They are still competitive with running backs Jamario Thomas and Patrick Cobbs returning, and with head coach Darrell Dickey, but losing 2004 starting quarterback Scott Hall will prove crucial.

They bring in sophomore quarterback Joey Byerly, who looks decent on paper, but has little experience when it comes to real game-time situations.

North Texas may be the super power in the Sun Belt, as far as national recognition is concerned, but even Rome fell.

Middle Tennessee has improved on defense and hasn't faltered by any means on the offensive side of the football.

The Blue Raiders are very deep at linebacker, have a solid defensive line and have more experience in a secondary that improved as the season went along last year.

Cleannard Saintil, Chris Henry and Stephen Chicola will replace Kerry Wright and will all be key options for quarterback Clint Marks this season. Look for a big highlight reel in the passing offense again this season as long as MT gets the run established.

The main reason why this will be the year that North Texas is dethroned is because so much is on the line for MT.

Let it be known - the pressure is on MT and its coaching staff to post a win against the Mean Green.

I didn't say the pressure was to "perform" because the team has played well in every contest but just hasn't gotten over the hump. This game alone will be a testimony to a successful Blue Raider season or another let down.

If MT wins the home opener under the lights at Floyd Stadium, the bleachers will see a boost for the rest of the season, and McCollum will get a monkey off his back that has been riding him since the SBC began.

The boost that a victory over North Texas would give these players is enormous. MT needs this win.

The SBC championship goes through North Texas and ends with a victory over Troy in the season finale. The fall of North Texas is coming in just two short months.

Jonathan Hutton is a junior mass communication major and can be reached via e-mail at jdh3x@mtsu.edu.

Edited by MeanGreen61

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

college newspaper journalist

although I agree that Middle will defeat UNT this year. Just too many holes to fill and unknown factors at QB for UNT to deal with by the second game of the year.

Edited by pUNT

I like his logic of stating that Byerly looks good on paper but doesn't have the game experience to replace Hall, yet he lists three receivers that will replace Kerry Wright and none have much in game experience. Plus, did Wright really hurt us with his 8 catches for 70 some odd yards?

He also mentions we will be coming off a "beating at the hands of Louisiana State" but doesn't mention the same in regards to the MUTS returning from Alabama.

His one truth is that the MUTS and Coach Andy are the ones that must live with the pressure to win, something they have shown the ability to do in the last 4 years.

One of the things coming from the media that I have always found to be funny goes something like this many times:

"And last seasons 3 & 8 Aspiring State U team returns everyone from that 3 & 8 team for this next Fall's campaign. rolleyes.gif

I know MT won more than 3 last year, but who is to say that they don't keep getting the same results from the same players who gave them a sub .500 season last Fall?

Always the missing ingrediant in all this is how the SBC recruiting gurus "NEVER" quite have a handle on the Texas and Oklahoma recruiting Darrell Dickey and staff seem to have success with once they get them off the recruiting experts paper polls onto the field of battle.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

["although I agree that Middle will defeat UNT this year. Just too many holes to fill and unknown factors at QB for UNT to deal with by the second game of the year. "]...posted by pUNT

Uh...ok?

I am trying really hard to find a scheme that works for MTSU to contain the last two nations leading rushers? Marcel Horne is there, and is a good LB, but he can only play one side of the defense? They have a good front four (Erik Walden being the best of those at DE..6 sacks last year, and an offensive guard learning to play defensive tackle - Quinton Stanton?) There is some ability there, but they are facing Cobbs and Thomas every down? Those guys need to time to learn the positions and schemes, and we get them in week 2. I just dont see how they pull this one out. Last year Colorado had a far better defense than MTSU, and J-Mo smoked them for over 200 yards? Forget what MTSU has to do on defense.. Say they stop Cobbs...AND J-Mo.....AND Quinn..(with the worst pass defense in the conference...definitely the MTSU weakness) What happens on offense?

How does that offense score points? Clint Marks is still there at QB, and I like the way he plays... but he needs help? Their best RB is the fullback? Last year their starting tailback (Gross) ran for a whopping 412 yards, and that guy is the starter again this year. Marks may want to start throwing the ball more...but who catches it? Kerry Wright is gone, and he had all the catches last year? They only had 15 TD passes all year, and Kerry Wright caught 11 of them. www.collegefootballnews.com/sun_belt/2005_Previews/MTSU_offense.htm

I just dont see it. If I had to pick an in-conference loss, it would be ULM. They have improved big time this year (they are the ones who recruited and signed Aaron Schutz (OL: 6-3/305) from right here in Fort Worth) and have the offense to score points. If Jyles gets over his off-season legal issues, he makes that team scary. He reminds me of Kordell Stewart.

That is all... GMG!!!

(1)  ["although I agree that Middle will defeat UNT this year. Just too many holes to fill and unknown factors at QB for UNT to deal with by the second game of the year. "]...posted by pUNT

(2) I just dont see it. If I had to pick an in-conference loss, it would be ULM.

(1) Last time our QB situation was even more unsettled, we went to a bowl game and beat the CUSA champion with a freshman QB, ie, the great Andrew Smith.

(2). ULM is back in our House again this season. Don't we always like our chances in our House? Of course, there have been a few exceptions thru the years, but we do win most of our games at Fouts Field.

I officially give DD permission to completely ignore the LSU game - treat it as a scrimmage and act like that team is the Raiders. We don't have time to prepare for both, so we start off Fall preparing for MTSU - play our canned hunt game in Baton Rouge for the check and stay healthy - so that we can watch their film against Bama and beat them down like little bitches.

I officially give DD permission to completely ignore the LSU game - treat it as a scrimmage and act like that team is the Raiders.  We don't have time to prepare for both, so we start off Fall preparing for MTSU - play our canned hunt game in Baton Rouge for the check and stay healthy - so that we can watch their film against Bama and beat them down like little bitches.

I second the motion on that, stebo. That is a good game plan for the LSU game.

Give all our newbies (RS frosh and transfers) some experience in

PS: Any takers that MUTS does the same for us?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

["although I agree that Middle will defeat UNT this year. Just too many holes to fill and unknown factors at QB for UNT to deal with by the second game of the year. "]...posted by pUNT

Uh...ok? 

I am trying really hard to find a scheme that works for MTSU to contain the last two nations leading rushers? Marcel Horne is there, and is a good LB, but he can only play one side of the defense? They have a good front four (Erik Walden being the best of those at DE..6 sacks last year, and an offensive guard learning to play defensive tackle - Quinton Stanton?) There is some ability there, but they are facing Cobbs and Thomas every down? Those guys need to time to learn the positions and schemes, and we get them in week 2. I just dont see how they pull this one out. Last year Colorado had a far better defense than MTSU, and J-Mo smoked them for over 200 yards? Forget what MTSU has to do on defense.. Say they stop Cobbs...AND J-Mo.....AND Quinn..(with the worst pass defense in the conference...definitely the MTSU weakness) What happens on offense?

How does that offense score points? Clint Marks is still there at QB, and I like the way he plays... but he needs help? Their best RB is the fullback? Last year their starting tailback (Gross) ran for a whopping 412 yards, and that guy is the starter again this year. Marks may want to start throwing the ball more...but who catches it? Kerry Wright is gone, and he had all the catches last year? They only had 15 TD passes all year, and Kerry Wright caught 11 of them. www.collegefootballnews.com/sun_belt/2005_Previews/MTSU_offense.htm

I just dont see it. If I had to pick an in-conference loss, it would be ULM. They have improved big time this year (they are the ones who recruited and signed Aaron Schutz (OL: 6-3/305) from right here in Fort Worth) and have the offense to score points. If Jyles gets over his off-season legal issues, he makes that team scary. He reminds me of Kordell Stewart.

That is all...  GMG!!!

I think it is difficult, at this point, for any of us to even appreciate the affect Cobbs spelling Thomas, or Thomas spelling Cobbs will have on our gameplan and on opposing defenses. I like the prospect of either a fresh JT or PC out on the field at all times.

Oh, BTW, hopefully they both can spell V-I-C-T-O-R-Y often this year!!! biggrin.gif

Forget about wanting to see one replace the other for a change of pace or fresher legs. I cant wait to see both Cobbs and Thomas in the backfield together. I have a feeling that our offense will be putting up some big numbers this year. MUTS wants to talk about their receivers, well how about ours. With J-Quin, Muzzy, Stickler, Covington, and my breakout player Brandon Jackson. We have a lot of both talent and depth at the WR postion. To go along with the best O-line in the league. But once again it all points to the QB postion. And to tell you the truth with all that talent around him I think that Byerly will be just fine with more reps during August and then a big game against LSU. After playing in Death Valley in front of 85,000+ playing in the 'boro the next week in front of 20,000 will be nothing. And then on D, once again we are going to be stronger than most expect. We have a very solid and deep LB postion. I personally believe that our D-line will actually be stronger than last year with a lot of talent filling in those spots. And the same goes for the backfield, hopefully Branch will be able to maintain the level from spring ball. Then we have a pretty good juco transfer in Weathers? to fill out the only other spot left. The only reason people want to knock us, is our inexperience in certain areas but I believe that out talent is a better than anybody in the belt including MUTS.

We better play LSU to win.... none of this prepare for the game after bullcrap. Winners don't do that. We can't afford to lose another game like we did at Texas last yr.... losing big at LSU will lose more fans in comparison to a win against MTSU that would create very little excitement. Playing LSU close would open a lot of eyes around the nation.

Edited by ipEAGLE

We better play LSU to win.... none of this prepare for the game after bullcrap.  Winners don't do that.  We can't afford to lose another game like we did at Texas last yr.... losing big at LSU will lose more fans than a win against MTSU.

You can't be serious. You think losing to LSU will ose more fans then losing to the MUTS???? If we lose to LSU, we move on. If we lose to the MUTS, there are riots on this board and calling for the coach's head the second game of the season. I don't want to see us "tank it" in Baton Rouge like we did in Austin last year but I am prepared for it. DD is (and always has been) about the big picture. You celebrate at the END of the season, not the beggining.

You can't be serious. You think losing to LSU will ose more fans then losing to the MUTS???? If we lose to LSU, we move on. If we lose to the MUTS, there are riots on this board and calling for the coach's head the second game of the season. I don't want to see us "tank it" in Baton Rouge like we did in Austin last year but I am prepared for it. DD is (and always has been) about the big picture. You celebrate at the END of the season, not the beggining.

have to agree with this.

That LSU game is not even on TV. It is the first game of the season. They are picked to win the National Freakin Championship by about 3 dozen magazines. I would say that losing to them is a GIVEN. If we lose to the MUTS, we will lose FANS for the home opener against the Tulsa Hurricane.

We all want to win against MTSU (and most likely will)... but we should not just lay down to the LSU Tigers. A close game or a win against LSU could propel this program to something amazing... our players will not give in to the Tigers, and I sure hope the coaching staff won't.

Remember how much national publicity Troy got last yr for beating Mizzou.... and how about that near upset against LSU? THE MEAN GREEN HAVE A SHOT!!!!

Edited by ipEAGLE

Speaking of.... Is there by chance that the LSU game could be picked up by ESPN plus?!?!

I definitely don't want a beating that Texas gave us last year. A nice showing and a good performance will be just fine in my eyes for the LSU game. For me, i really care about the Tulsa and la tech games more than the other two OOC.

That second week is definitely more important... but hey, why dont we go out there and win both of 'em eh?

I'd also like to point out that LSU is on most people's short list for national title contender this year. They are overflowing with talent, playing at home against a relatively inexperienced team. Is it possible that we could win? Certainly. But I wouldn't count on it, nor do I believe it is likely.

And I don't think anyone is suggesting that we "lay down" for the Tigers. But my realistic hope is that we take as much from this game as possible, so that we can extend this great conference winning streak. Agreed with Stebo.

Not much into arguing, but Stebo is right on the money. We go into LSU with the notion of hanging in there and giving it our best shot, but we dont take undue risk. I would love to beat them, but that fact is we dont match up at all. Take the check, get some guys big-game experience who may not see the field for the rest of the season, and prepare for MTSU. We have our shots at Tulsa and LA-Tech for OOC wins. You dont risk your star players against Godzilla... you risk them in games where they can use their stregths to win. Injuries are likely in Baton Rouge, and I would absolutely play that game to walk away healthy....

GMG!!!

Lets not even play the LSU game... I'm going to mark an 'L' on the schedule right now. Wish we had the same attitude Troy did last yr coming into big out of conference games. Did anyone expect Troy to beat Mizzou? Did anyone expect Troy to play LSU so damn close that they almost pulled out a win?

Edited by ipEAGLE

Lets not even play the LSU game... I'm going to mark an 'L' on the schedule right now.  Wish we had the same attitude Troy did last yr coming into big out of conference games.  Did anyone expect Troy to beat Mizzou?  Did anyone expect Troy to play LSU so damn close that they almost pulled out a win?

Great logic and don't forget about all the publicity Troy got at the end of the year for winning the SBC! What, they didn't win conference and get the automatic bowl invite to New Orleans? What happened? They got in to another bowl because two teams got in fights at the end of the year and skipped the bowl games as punishment? blink.gif

Lets not even play the LSU game... I'm going to mark an 'L' on the schedule right now.  Wish we had the same attitude Troy did last yr coming into big out of conference games.  Did anyone expect Troy to beat Mizzou?  Did anyone expect Troy to play LSU so damn close that they almost pulled out a win?

I don't think anyone is saying we lay down and dog it, ipEagle, lets just focus on the 2'nd game of the season which only happens to be our SBC opener (on the road). The MUTS game has national ramifications for our program (not that the LSU game wouldn't), but the down the road ramifications for NT would be another nationally televised bowl game appearance at a time of year recruits really start getting serious about their future collegiate homes. It would be our 2'nd nationally televised game for the 2005 season if we get back to the Big Easy.

This funky SBC schedule was put together by the SBC office in their (not so subtle) attempt to dethrone NT from being this December's New Orelans Bowl host. Let's hope it simply backfires in their face. blink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen