What has your first loyalty?

I lived at 316 Fry Street (1 block from campus) much of my time as a student at NT and I felt like I lived in Animal House much of the time.

Keep in mind an era when Viet Nam was winding down very quickly because of Nixon busting his butt to get us out of there. But what an eye-opening experience for one who came from Small Town, Texas, with all those Fry Street hippies, music majors from up North and Texas red necks--quite a melting pot you might say. rolleyes.gif

It was the best of times, though, and a time/experience I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Those years really made me appreciate Denton, Texas, America, because it was a college town that had it all (as far as college towns go).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I know at NT, there is a strong presence of Residence Hall Association members that are active in Student Government. NT is lucky in that RHA is run by excellent people with support from NT Housing personnel. There are other ways to groom leaders other then the Greek system.

I know at NT, there is a strong presence of Residence Hall Association members that are active in Student Government.  NT is lucky in that RHA is run by excellent people with support from NT Housing personnel.  There are other ways to groom leaders other then the Greek system.

I would totally agree with both Debbie and Sean... Whether your greek group is the "Mean Green Brigade" or RHA; it is all very much the same to me. It is another component that gets you involved with the University social life and gives you ties that bring you (and your dollars) back to the University for the rest of your lives. As far as my personal situation, I actually did come to North Texas because of the strong Greek system. I pledged at SE Okl State while earning my pilot's license/certificate and when I decided to come back to Texas for school, I looked at the Universities that had Sig Tau at them. North Texas had really never been an option for me when i was growing up and leaving high school - I grew up in Trophy Club and wanted to go "away" to college, not just be up the road from my parents. While deciding which chapter to transfer to, I looked at a lot of the Southland schools and North Texas (a school I had never even remotely considered in the past) was the absolute best fit for me.

Now I have ill feelings about some things from North Texas. I had terrible counselors that gave me flat out incorrect information regarding my credits needed to graduate; thus postponing my graduation by a year and a half (I was running a start-from-scratch business on a shoe-string budget at the time). I also had several problems with the administrations' treatment of the Greek system; despite the Greeks providing 99% of the much needed "traditional college atmosphere" that North Texas badly need at the time. Since graduation there have been events such as Lupe/Murchison-gate, Kids Kornergate and Logo-gate (just to name a few) that have me convinced that the school could never make it as a true business enterprise; they just do things back asswords in many aspects. So in all, I do not have fond memories of the "University" as an organization - but I do have very fond memories of my time in Denton with my fraternity, running my first business, and following North Texas football.

Now, if the poll was - which has my first loyalty - The Mean Green Football Team OR my fraternity? Then I would probably say the Mean Green Football Machine. But the poll was if my allegiance would be ranked higher for my fraternity or for North Texas (the university)... and I am sorry to say that my fraternity has always treated me with integrity, honesty, and respect while the University continues to ignore the opinions of the alumni AND the students and goes about business as usual doing things THEIR way (reagrless of our opinions); seemingly trudging forward without our blessings or concerns.

Case in point - the whole logo situation. If you really read the papers and researched the topic (along with the amount of pointless dollars spent on that whole process); you will see that the University (as an entity) is not an organization that should be trusted. I will continue to support many of the organizations underneath the University umbrella such as the football team, certain admistrators, many on the BOR, and the student/alumni groups that give North Texas a traditional/unique college atmosphere. The NT Exes also seem to be moving forward again after several stalled efforts over the past decade.

All that being said, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the individuals that put up with all of the BS assoicated with the beuracracy of North Texas and fight for our causes. Those like Deborah Leinart; the types that feel that they are "not accountable to 'these' people" just don't get it and can kiss my ass. laugh.gif

I put North Texas.  You don't go to North Texas (or any university for that matter) to just be in a fraternity.  (If you do, something is wrong)  You go to North Texas for the North Texas atmosphere with only a part being Greek Life.

But Greek Life can be intertwined with the tradition and history and culture/atomsphere of the school. Could you go to UNT and have the same experience if you had gone or not gone Greek? I don't know the answer to that question, but y'all would. But I do know that had I not gone Greek at SMU, I would've missed out on nearly everything that goes along with the traditions of my school -- much the same had I gone to Vandy (Oh wait- didn't get in cool.gif),Ole Miss, or Bama, UGA, Auburn, etc.

I just think it varies from school to school. Now, at A&M, the Greek system is pretty bad- and the history and traditions don't revolve around it- and I'd say you'd get the same or better experience by not going Greek there.

Greeks make good leaders b/c -- while you're "rushed" b/c of your family, high school, where you're from geographically, basic interests -- people don't always have the same opinions or share the same values. You have to make decisions for people you are close to, and risk having them get upset at you, etc. It's a lot harder to make a decision where you p!ss off your friends. Being President or a leader in a position over your peers tests your ability to manage so many more things than just overseeing a budget for the Student Senate. Not discounting those types of org's at all, but you don't get the same type of leadership b/c you're dealing with a group that has one specific goal and purpose.