What's Next?

The men add Justin Howerton, a 6'9 post from Howe and Harold Stewart, a 6-8 forward from Crowely.

They also gain the services of Kendrick Davis, a 6-4 guard transfer from Arkansas, originally from Houston and Jared Ruffin, a 6-0 guard transfer from Troy (RS one year on the football team).

The schedule won't be released any time soon, but I doubt it will have as many home games. Some others may have information on deals signed with schools that will be on the schedule next season.

Grand Green had a very in-depth post about the women on a thread further down the board, you might check that out.

The schedule won't be released any time soon, but I doubt it will have as many home games.  Some others may have information on deals signed with schools that will be on the schedule next season.

I have heard rumors swirling that Texas Tech might be making a trip to the Super Pit next year for a game, if so that would be pretty big for the program. I would also bet that we will make a trip down to Fort Worth to play TCU. I wouldn't mind also playing SMU next season as well.

NT basketball staff is out recruiting hot and heavy. It's my understanding that JJ was

really down about the way the team played at the end of the season starting with

the 2 losses at home the same week with Ark state and Ark LR. This appeared to

be the turning point and the final nail in the confidence of our kids.

I have been told that the coaches have not been happy with 3 or 4 of the players

that play to not lose as opposed to trying to win. They feel that a more aggressive

attitude will be evident next year.

Also, they are high on a high school point guard from out of state that is leaning

toward us. This kid is supposed to be a "player" and some big name schools would

like to have him but he likes the idea of coming to NT and playing with Hines

immediately.

Slowly but surely we are getting rid of the 3 or 4 players who are marginal division

1 caliber. Graduation took care of 1 this year and 2 will graduate next year. They

were recruited late by JJ because of when he came to NT.

I believe that we have to win 17 or 18 games next season and/or the tournament

and a NCAA bid or the "drums will be beating".

I think for sure we need to bring in more athletes..............For one we need to get better defensively and two we need people who can create shots. The only person that could create a shot was Leonard and he is gone. And we couldnt stop anybody and if we did then they would get an offensive rebound. With all the athletes in Dallas and Houston surely we could land a few. I was impressed with UL-LA's athletes.

I have been told that the coaches have not been happy with 3 or 4 of the players that play to not lose as opposed to trying to win. They feel that a more aggressive attitude will be evident next year.

Also, they are high on a high school point guard from out of state that is leaning toward us. This kid is supposed to be a "player" and some big name schools would like to have him but he likes the idea of coming to NT and playing with Hines immediately.

If true, both good news.

The lack of desire and tenacity was something that really stuck out to me last year. It's good to know that a more agressive attitude may be implemented, it is necessary. That approach is also why we gave up so many second chance shots that calvin mentioned. And those second chance shots did in the team on that UALR and ASU home-stand that was the turning point of the season as was mentioned earlier.

Also, the first offseason priority personnel wise should be a true point guard to back up Hines. I think Sturns will be great, but he isn't a point guard, he can be a great 2-3 defensively.

I posted this on another thread also.

The sad truth about basketball in Texas.

Unfortunately, Texas is a FOOTBALL state. Basketball gets very little attention by comparison. If you are a quality basketball player in Texas and you want to play on a top flight college team, you have 3 choices:

Texas

Texas Tech

going out of state

This goes for Women also. Baylor is a fluk this year.

i.e. Last year UNT played Indiana here. Indiana has a freshman (at the time) from The Colony. He kicked out butts.

This season, I forget which team from out of state, but there was another Colony product that came in here and stuck it to UNT.

I am not suggesting that we throw up our hands and give up. Very few colleges, especially mid majors, can have quality programs in 2 major sports.

I posted this on another thread also.

The sad truth about basketball in Texas.

Unfortunately, Texas is a FOOTBALL state. Basketball gets very little attention by comparison. If you are a quality basketball player in Texas and you want to play on a top flight college team, you have 3 choices:

Texas

Texas Tech

going out of state

i.e. Last year UNT played Indiana here. Indiana has a freshman (at the time) from The Colony. He kicked out butts.

This season, I forget which team from out of state, but there was another Colony product that came in here and stuck it to UNT.

I am not suggesting that we throw up our hands and give up. Very few colleges, especially mid majors, can have quality programs in 2 major sports.

Trust me on this, that post wasn't worth being posted ONCE, much less TWICE.

uhhhh, a fluke?

2001:

21-9

lost in 1st round of the NCAA tournament

finished regular season ranked #24

2002:

27-6

lost in 2nd round of NCAA tournament

finished regular season ranked #7

2003:

24-11 NIT runner-up

2004:

26-9

lost in sweet 16 in NCAA tournament(got robbed by ref's)

finished regular season ranked #14

2005:

24-3

finished reagular season ranked #7

Edited by Eagle-96

mid majors:

Louisville

Utah

New Mexico

UTEP

Miami(OH)

others:

Oklahoma

OKlahoma State

Texas Tech

Texas

Wisconsin

Iowa

Ohio State

Florida

LSU

Alabama

Uconn

Pitt

Trust me on this, that post wasn't worth being posted ONCE, much less TWICE.

Truth hurts. I made my point.

others:

Oklahoma

OKlahoma State

Texas Tech

Texas

Wisconsin

Iowa

Ohio State

Florida

LSU

Alabama

Uconn

Pitt

All Majors. The only 2 Texas teams you listed are the only ones that can recruit well in basketball and football (for UT, include baseball).

mid majors:

Louisville

Utah

New Mexico

UTEP

Miami(OH)

Correct. All mid-majors, only one from Texas and not a school that gets national attention week in and week out in football, basketball or baseball.

NT fights a big uphill battle in recruiting in football and (more so) basketball. Football recruiting has improved a lot over the last several years. NT was lucky to recruit in the DFW area only. Dickey has been able to expand it to state wide and include JUCO recruits from surrounding states.

Basketball recruiting in Texas is much harder. A top flight BB recruit will look at primere out of state schools to play on TV, expand their game, play for an National Championship, and if good enough, make it to the next level.

uhhhh, a fluke?

2001:

21-9

2002:

27-6

2003:

2004:

26-9

2005:

24-3

Maybe Baylor Women are better than I thought. Overall, still a #3 behind Texas and Tech.

Truth hurts. I made my point.

All Majors. The only 2 Texas teams you listed are the only ones that can recruit well in basketball and football (for UT, include baseball).

Correct. All mid-majors, only one from Texas and not a school that gets national attention week in and week out in football, basketball or baseball.

NT fights a big uphill battle in recruiting in football and (more so) basketball. Football recruiting has improved a lot over the last several years. NT was lucky to recruit in the DFW area only. Dickey has been able to expand it to state wide and include JUCO recruits from surrounding states.

Basketball recruiting in Texas is much harder. A top flight BB recruit will look at primere out of state schools to play on TV, expand their game, play for an National Championship, and if good enough, make it to the next level.

Maybe Baylor Women are better than I thought. Overall, still a #3 behind Texas and Tech.

GK.....has anyone talked to you about "assisted living"?

It's time.

The truth is out there.

My original post holds true. Look at the top 50 high school recruits (men and women) for the state and the local DFW area. How many went to Texas or Tech (or even Baylor)? How many went to ANY OTHER UNIVERSITY IN THE STATE? How may went to ACC, SEC, and Big East schools (hotbeds for basketball the last several seasons)? How many went to Big 10 or Pac 10? How many went to other Big 12 schools outside of the state (like Kansas)? I get disgusted at how many Texas HS players flee the state for better BB parts of the country.

The truth is that basketball is second rate (if not third to baseball) in the state of Texas.

And that is sad.

I happen to LOVE basketball...more than football.

Clearly not true.

Last year UNT played Indiana here. Indiana has a freshman (at the time) from The Colony. He kicked out butts.

I assume the guy you meant was Bracey Wright, and he was a sophomore last season. He did kick our butts as a freshman too, but that was in Indiana.

That has been proven untrue by many posters already.

My original post holds true.

Are you sure?

If you are a quality basketball player in Texas and you want to play on a top flight college team, you have 3 choices:

Texas

Texas Tech

going out of state

Let's take a look at Baylors' squad. Here are the high school accolades for their current Texas players(1 from Louisianna).

Steffanie Blackmon:

ranked #4 player in Texas

ranked #57 player in USA

3 time all-state

Jordan Davis:

3 time all state

Chanelle Fox:

2 time all-state

2 time all American(USA Today)

Melanie Hamerly:

3 time all state

ranked # 1 post in Texas 4 times

Monique Jones(Louisiana)

3 time all state

1 time all American(McDonalds)

Emily Niemann:

4 time all state

2 time all American(Nike, Street & Smith)

Chisa Ononiwu:

1 time all state

Angela Tisdale:

2 time all-state

1 time Centex Player of the year

Chelsea Whitaker

2 time all state

1 time all American

Seems to me like the top players in Texas(and the USA) are staying in state.

There are a lot of great b-ball players who leave the state.....but there are also a lot of great ones who stay.

Just proof that it's not that bad of a year for college basketball in Texas.....these are some of the records of some of our other Texas universities:

Texas Tech 18-9

Texas 20-9

A & M 19-8

TCU 19-12

Houston 18-13

Sam Houston State 18-11

Lamar 18-10

Rice 18-10

UTEP 24-7

And many of those schools have conference tournament games left.....thus increasing their chances of getting to 20-win seasons.

So, Texas will be well represented in both the NCAA and NIT.........

Eagle 96, I see one RANKED player in the state. Went to Baylor (one of my exceptions). Where did the other 49 top 50 in Texas go?

SMUG, I seriously doubt all 9 of those teams will go to the NCAAs. I see Texas, Tech, and TCU (if they win CUSA, or at least get past Louisville) going and maybe one more, but I am not suprised if non of the others on that list go. And I doubt all 6 of the remaining teams make it to the NIT.

College Basketball in the state of Texas still has a long way to go before a lot of Texas top 50 high school recruits start thinking of staying home for college.

Eagle 96, I see one RANKED player in the state. Went to Baylor (one of my exceptions). Where did the other 49 top 50 in Texas go?

SMUG, I seriously doubt all 9 of those teams will go to the NCAAs. I see Texas, Tech, and TCU (if they win CUSA, or at least get past Louisville) going and maybe one more, but I am not suprised if non of the others on that list go. And I doubt all 6 of the remaining teams make it to the NIT.

College Basketball in the state of Texas still has a long way to go before a lot of Texas top 50 high school recruits start thinking of staying home for college.

You just can't resist can you?

Ohh come on!!!! What on Gods Mean Green Earth would make you believe that 49 out of the top 50 players in the State signed elsewhere. Seriously fool, you can't drop that kind of knowledge and expect it to be said without anyone saying anything to disprove it.

You might find more than one player on this list staying in state...............maybe.

Some small school managed to grab the #26 player in the state.

Edited by Zeke

Baylor has 9 players on their team that are Texas(1 from Louisianna) all-state players and 4 all-Americans. I'd say they were the among the best in the state of Texas.

As far as the men go:

Of the 2005 Texasprepsxtra Top 25 mens basketball players in Texas, 10 are staying in state:

2 for Texas

1 for SMU

1 for TCU

2 for Texas Tech

1 for A&M

3 for Baylor

Edited by Eagle-96

Baylor has 9 players on their team that are Texas(1 from Louisianna) all-state players and 4 all-Americans. I'd say they were the among the best in the state of Texas.

As far as the men go:

Of the 2005 Texasprepsxtra Top 25 mens basketball players in Texas, 10 are staying in state:

2 for Texas

1 for SMU

1 for TCU

2 for Texas Tech

1 for A&M

3 for Baylor

Oh great.... 20% of the top 50. wow. 1 in 5. In school, making a 20 is failing miserably. Take away the Texas and Tech exceptions I mentioned and you get an even lower percentage.

Put yourself in the position of a parent of a state top 50 BB player. You get scholorship offers from other Texas universities (except Texas and Tech) and you get offers from Kansas, Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UConn, and Arizona (for a woman, throw in Tennessee). Those are schools that are consistantly top 25 team, several national televised games each year, good shot at a national championship. Where do you think your son/daughter wants to go?

The State of Texas has a long way to go before being declaired a "Basketball Meca." Women's programs are a lot closer then Men's programs.