Not To Beat Around The Bush

EagleTime1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smack talk is heating up....about time.

Predicted soundbite from N.O. 2004:

"2nd and 8 from the 36 yard line...Almond steps in behind center replacing Jeremy Young, who still seems to be loopy from the hit by Awasome. Almond sends Courington in motion right with Moore in the backfield. There's the snap...Almond is rolling right. It looks like a QB keeper up the right sidleing.... Almond at the 40...gets a block and GETS BLASTED at the 44 by Jonus Buckles!!! The BALL IS OUT!!!....and is picked up by T.J. Covington at the 45!!!!...Covington on the move now at the 40....running right at the 35 and gets a MONSTER BLOCK from Mendoza at the 30!!...Covington at the 25...20......15......10........5.....and T.J. will score a MEAN GREEN TOUCHDOWN!!!! A fumble return scores after a huge hit by Buckels, then Covington goes the distance to give the Mean Green a 27-10 lead!!! Covington with the SECOND defensive touchdown of the day! The first, an interception return by Phillip Graves on a batted-ball from Young, and now a fumble return by T.J. Covington after a huge hit by Jonus Buckles on Dustin Almond..It's starting to look like Jamario Thomas will be competing with his own defense for the scoring title in this game... "

GMG!!!

Smack talk is heating up....about time.

Predicted soundbite from N.O. 2004:

"2nd and 8 from the 36 yard line...Almond steps in behind center replacing Jeremy Young, who still seems to be loopy from the hit by Awasome.  Almond sends Courington in motion right with Moore in the backfield. There's the snap...Almond is rolling right. It looks like a QB keeper up the right sidleing.... Almond at the 40...gets a block and GETS BLASTED at the 44 by Jonus Buckles!!! The BALL IS OUT!!!....and is picked up by T.J. Covington at the 45!!!!...Covington on the move now at the 40....running right at the 35 and gets a MONSTER BLOCK from Mendoza at the 30!!...Covington at the 25...20......15......10........5.....and T.J. will score a MEAN GREEN TOUCHDOWN!!!! A fumble return scores after a huge hit by Buckels, then Covington goes the distance to give the Mean Green a 27-10 lead!!! Covington with the SECOND defensive touchdown of the day! The first, an interception return by Phillip Graves on a batted-ball from Young, and now a fumble return by T.J. Covington after a huge hit by Jonus Buckles on Dustin Almond..It's starting to look like Jamario Thomas will be competing with his own defense for the scoring title in this game... "

GMG!!!

Good one, and even better if you read it as Harry Carey would.

I think this game is going to be really good. Our *Southern Miss* defense is down from its normal self but I think it still has alot of team speed. I think you guys will freak out how Southern Miss jumps all around at times we line up with only 1 Defensive lineman and then on the next play line up 6 I mean it gets really crazy up front how they move around and jump around up until the snap. Its really good about confussing offensive linemen and qb's. We are a bit undersized on the defensive line this year so that is why we have been ran on so much this year. We have had alot more bad games against the rush this year than we have good but there have been a few good games where we played the run really well. In the ECU game we held them to -3 rushing yards the whole game and I think Tulane had just over a 100 so it all depends on if they show up. I think you guys are a great oppenent for Southern Miss in this game and I think it will be one hella of a game. Good luck to both teams

good post, really, except for one problem.....

you have the schools mixed up,

USM 9

UNT 49

Thanks Bear! I think..dunno why you hope your wrong.. But UNT is gonna go down. Cal's offensive line is a mass of Bear flesh. Bears OLine outweighed our DLine by an average of 40 pounds per man. Hard to believe that UNT OLine compares to that. Don't know much about UNT defense, but we have been known to do OK running the ball. If UNT defense is subpar, this may turn out to be a bad night for them. Would you say that Thomas is better than Memphis DeAngelo Williams (1868 yards SO FAR for the year) we held him to a paltry 199 yards rushing. Take back that 75 yard sprint where Boley slipped and he had only 124 yards. Also take back the touchdown that went with it and we win the game. If only...Pretty hard for me to believe Thomas is better than Williams..he should go over 2,000 yards this season after the GMAC bowl is over. I say

Southern Miss 39

North Texas 24

Thanks Bear! I think..dunno why you hope your wrong.. But UNT is gonna go down. Cal's offensive line is a mass of Bear flesh. Bears OLine outweighed our DLine by an average of 40 pounds per man. Hard to believe that UNT OLine compares to that. Don't know much about UNT defense, but we have been known to do OK running the ball. If UNT defense is subpar, this may turn out to be a bad night for them. Would you say that Thomas is better than Memphis DeAngelo Williams (1868 yards SO FAR for the year) we held him to a paltry 199 yards rushing. Take back that 75 yard sprint where Boley slipped and he had only 124 yards. Also take back the touchdown that went with it and we win the game. If only...Pretty hard for me to believe Thomas is better than Williams..he should go over 2,000 yards this season after the GMAC bowl is over. I say

Southern Miss 39

North Texas 24

I LOVE IT!!! Anytime you hear an opposing team build themselves up with, "Well if it weren't for that one play..........." you know they are in excuse mode. This is twice I have seen you guys beat your chests about how you have already played top backs, giving up 199 yds blows, excuses or not.

Would you say that Thomas is better than Memphis DeAngelo Williams (1868 yards SO FAR for the year) we held him to a paltry 199 yards rushing.  Take back that 75 yard sprint where Boley slipped and he had only  124 yards.  Also take back the touchdown that went with it and we win the game. Pretty hard for me to believe Thomas is better than Williams..he should go over 2,000 yards this season after the GMAC bowl is over.  I say

Southern Miss 39

North Texas     24

I LOVE IT!!!   Anytime you hear an opposing team build themselves up with, "Well if it weren't for that one play..........."  you know they are in excuse mode.  This is twice I have seen you guys beat your chests about how you have already played top backs, giving up 199 yds blows, excuses or not.

Yeah..we r in excuse mode. I mean you have been ranked (or is that rank) this year right ? If we can play Cal a good game, we can most certainly play YOU an outstanding one. Now Do you care to answer the question on Thomas and how awesome your defense is ? Or are you going to blither on with your idiotic responses ?

Southern Miss 39

UNT 24

Very quick analysis on our D:

YOUNG. Linebackers are all very young. To say they have progressed as the season went on would be an understatment. They HAD to, because most of them were playing in their first college games at the start of this year. We have 2 great safeties. Both of them are crucial to how the defense works. Passing over the middle is encouraged. Corners are a concern in my opinion. It may be due to scheme though. For whatever reason, we don't like to give up the long ball, but will concede anything short. A large cushion is usually given to opposing wideouts. I pray we mix up coverages a little here. One the D line, we have very good run stoppers. Our front four will play well. They MUST have a decent pass rush to shorten the amount of time your QB has.

Thomas, do I think he is better than Memphis' Williams - yes. But I can't honestly evaluate Williams, because I haven't seen much of him.

Idiotic responses huh? It seemed pretty well thought out to me, but you didn't agree with it so it was labeled it idiotic. Glad you were ranked earlier in the season, seriously. What are you now? Any votes for the top 25 ? Maybe an unbiased computer ranking would be better.............BCS computer poll.

It will be a great game. We are glad to play a team that was ranked one time...................seriously.

Very quick analysis on our D:

YOUNG.  Linebackers are all very young.  To say they have progressed as the season went on would be an understatment.  They HAD to, because most of them were playing in their first college games at the start of this year.  We have 2 great safeties.  Both of them are crucial to how the defense works.  Passing over the middle is encouraged.  Corners are a concern in my opinion.  It may be due to scheme though.  For whatever reason, we don't like to give up the long ball, but will concede anything short.  A large cushion is usually given to opposing wideouts.  I pray we mix up coverages a little here.  One the D line, we have very good run stoppers.  Our front four will play well.  They MUST have a decent pass rush to shorten the amount of time your QB has. 

Thomas, do I think he is better than Memphis' Williams - yes.  But I can't honestly evaluate Williams, because I haven't seen much of him. 

Idiotic responses huh?  It seemed pretty well thought out to me, but you didn't agree with it so it was labeled it idiotic.  Glad you were ranked earlier in the season, seriously.  What are you now?  Any votes for the top 25 ?  Maybe an unbiased computer ranking would be better.............BCS computer poll

It will be a great game.  We are glad to play a team that was ranked one time...................seriously.

Thanks for the straitforward info. I was tryng to ask sensible questions and an answer like

"I LOVE IT!!! Anytime you hear an opposing team build themselves up with, "Well if it weren't for that one play..........." you know they are in excuse mode. This is twice I have seen you guys beat your chests about how you have already played top backs, giving up 199 yds blows, excuses or not. "

didn't offer much. Now I will tell you about Williams and us. We totally contained Williams between the DE. Almost all his yards came when he turned on the afterburners running wide. We would have a man right there with him, and I know he thought he was going to tackle him and Swoooosh.. hard to explain he just accelerated 5 yards from the sideline, turned the corner and down the field he would go. If no one was in front of him, no one would catch him from behind..he is FAST! That's why it's hard to believe Thomas is that good. Williams will be in the mix next year for the heisman, he is just a Junior. You saw our D if you watched the Cal game so I don't know how much I can add to that. Since you don't pass much I don't think you care about our secondary though Eubanks has trouble tackling in case you didnt notice. I really don't think you will get much up the middle unless Thomas is a Hoss like Arrington. Now if he is more like Williams, well, we may do better this time. Eubanks is the fastest man on defense, a true 4.3 - 4.35 40. Excellent return man, but tackling is not his forte. Now is Thomas a BULL up the middle, or is he lightening around the corners, cause thats where you stand the best chance. BTW, we have an outstanding OLine, the best in the last 7 years that I have seen. They are awesome for pass blocking, and good at run blocking, you better watch out for the side Jeremy Paraquet is on. He is 6'7" and 330 lbs. Our run problems are from the skill backs not the OLine. We need a Williams and maybe a Thomas..I will take Williams until I see what your man can do. Thanks for the info.

Have a nice day

cool.gif

Now I will tell you about Williams and us.  We totally contained Williams between the DE.  Almost all his yards came when he turned on the afterburners running wide.  We would have a man right there with him, and I know he thought he was going to tackle him and Swoooosh.. hard to explain he just accelerated 5 yards from the sideline, turned the corner and down the field he would go.  If no one was in front of him, no one would catch him from behind..he is FAST!  That's why it's hard to believe Thomas is that good. Williams will be in the mix next year for the heisman, he is just a Junior.  You saw our D if you watched the Cal game so I don't know how much I can add to that.  Since you don't pass much I don't think you care about our secondary though Eubanks has trouble tackling in case you didnt notice.  I really don't think you will get much up the middle unless Thomas is a Hoss like Arrington.  Now if he is more like Williams, well, we may do better this time.  Eubanks is the fastest man on defense, a true 4.3 - 4.35 40.  Excellent return man, but tackling is not his forte.  Now is Thomas a BULL up the middle, or is he lightening around the corners, cause thats where you stand the best chance.  BTW, we have an outstanding OLine, the best in the last 7 years that I have seen.  They are awesome for pass blocking, and good at run blocking, you better watch out for the side Jeremy Paraquet is on.  He is 6'7" and 330 lbs.  Our run problems are from the skill backs not the OLine.  We need a Williams and maybe a Thomas..I will take Williams until I see what your man can do.  Thanks for the info.

Have a nice day

cool.gif

Williams is a proven 'dual-threat, as I understand he has done well catching the ball. Maybe I'm remembering wrong (and Im sure some here will tell you that happens a lot), but Thomas hasn't been asked to catch much this year.

Whatever works for the scheme, right?

-gm

wow. Your D really stopped him in his tracks... rolleyes.gif

Oh yea..well we held JJ Arrington to 261 yards rushing, a new rushing record for an opponent at "The Rock" and damn near beat them. The #4 team in the country. Sam Dejarnette holds the rushing record for Southern Miss at "The Rock" when he ran for 304 yards against, ummm a then #6 Florida State. I was there that day to witness that feat. So blow that out your A$$. Any chance of Thomas getting 261 yards ? Please dont expect me to believe you have an OLine like Cal. They outweighed us 40 pounds per man. NONE of them were under 300 lbs, and ALL were excellent athletes. Add to that their QB Aaron Rogers and we did pretty well facing TWO Heisman candidates

BTW Eubanks ranks in the top 5 in the nation in returns. He will take it to the house if you are not careful. He will do it even if you ARE careful. We have decent backs, EXCELLENT OLine, so I expect we will keep you off balance with the run/pass. I think you guys might be surprised about our run ability. Duty is shared between 4 backs with Harris at 600+ yards. No Thomas but you will have to pay attention. Now tell me your D compares to Cal, or Alabama for that matter. Sheesh, just checked your schedule and Texas beat you like a rented mule 65-0! Thats ZIPPO. Cal and Texas are about equal calibre too. Most of your other games were fairly close..the ones you won..cept Idaho. Wow, Florida Atlantic (is that a directional school) beat you, Colorado spanked you, and ummm...BAYLOR smacked you 34-14 ???? Man Im getting overconfident looking at your schedule. Take it to the bank that Jeff Bower will NOT overlook you, you can rest assured of that. Looks to me like you have a decent RB and not much else...well I hope you keep it interesting. I'm gonna miss NOVA on PBS afterall for this game.

Have a nice day!

laugh.gif

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Tonight's fortune cookie moment: "Seagull, with head in clouds, does not have full understanding of the truth."

Seagull, you don't understand the games and circumstances and you don't understand our team. Fly away and carry Catfish with you!

Tonight's fortune cookie moment: "Seagull, with head in clouds, does not have full understanding of the truth."

Seagull, you don't understand the games and circumstances and you don't understand our team. Fly away and carry Catfish with you!

OK..I get it! But I do understand 65 to ZERO. SKUNKED!

Why'd I drop that in your eye ? Thank you God that COWS don't fly!

Have a Nice Day!

cool.gif

Oh yea..well we held JJ Arrington to 261 yards rushing, a new rushing record for an opponent at "The Rock" and damn near beat them.

I think 270 yards is a great goal for Jamario to aim for, kind of a nice round number for a new rushing record against. Or is the record higher at away games? It helps to know in advance.

Its good to have goals and Jamario loves breaking records. wink.gif