Pioneers Fight to 1-1 Draw with Northern Arizona

Pioneers Begin Four-Game Homestand

RELATED LINKS

• CollegeSports.com Wire

• Email this to a friend

Denver Knocks Off North Texas, 3-0

Billingsley, Brunkhardt and Hemmings all net one

Oct. 10, 2004

DENVER - The University of Denver women's soccer team rebounded from a 1-1 tie against Northern Arizona with a 3-0 shut out Sunday afternoon against conference rival North Texas at Pioneer Field. Senior Diana Brunkhardt (Manhattan Beach, Calif.), and freshmen Jenna Billingsley (Littleton, Colo.) and Taryn Hemmings (Greeley, Colo.) each scored goals for the Pioneers.

The Pioneers came out focused and determined to get the win at home, scoring two goals within a minute of each other in the first half. The first goal came in the 26th minute when Brunkhardt dished the ball off to Hemmings who drilled it past Mean Green keeper Briana Buchanan from 15 yards out. About a minute later, the Pioneers scored again. Hemming passed the ball to Billingsley in the middle who fired it past Buchanan from the top of the box.

Denver's game proved to be too much for the Mean Green to handle. Early in the second half, the Pioneers struck again when Carlynn McCallum got the rebound off Mean Green keeper Buchanan and served it to Brunkhardt who knocked it in.

This is the second multi-point game for both Brunkhardt and Hemmings. Hemmings now leads the team in points with eight, while Brunkhardt has seven.

Denver outshot North Texas 20-3, with all but two Denver starters taking shots.

"We accomplished what we came to do, get a shutout at home," said head coach Jeff Hooker. "We stayed focused and played the whole game. Getting that last goal real quick in the second half really crushed our opponent."

The Pioneers improve their record to 4-8-1, 2-1 and return to action at home against Middle Tennessee on Friday, Oct. 15 at 4 p.m.

Denver 2 1 -3

NT 0 0-0

Denver: 1. Taryn Hemmings (Diana Brunkhardt ), 2.Jenna Billingsley (Taryn Hemmings), 3. Diana Brunkhardt (Carlynn McCallum)

Shots: Denver 9-11-20, NT 4-5-9

Corner Kicks: Denver 2-1-3 NT 1-3-4

Saves: Denver 6 (Wiley 6) NT 5 (Buchanan 5)

Fouls: Denver 14, NT 8

Offside: Denver 0, NT 0

Sun Belt Conference soccer is like SBC football ... no respect, mostly because of a lack of quality OCC wins. There's an occasional UNT over Baylor like win, but those are few & far between.

Nevertheless, UNT is in the hunt for the regular season title.

There are 2 big conference games this week-end.

(The box score of the Denver game actually indicated a 20-9 shot tally.)

Edited by res1dg16

Sunbelt Conference: Have to disagree with you on comparing football with soccer. In soccer Denver is usually nationally ranked each year but in football no one is even close to the top 20. Second, could any UNT program men or women beat Baylor in there sport. I say no. Baylor womens soccer might not have a winning record but they are a very good team and they beat Texas this year. Like I said there is not another program at North Texas that could beat Baylor much less compete with them.

Second, could any UNT program men or women beat Baylor in there sport. I say no. Baylor womens soccer might not have a winning record but they are a very good team and they beat Texas this year. Like I said there is not another program at North Texas that could beat Baylor much less compete with them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but we beat Baylor in Football and Men's Basketball last year and beat them in soccer this year.

Sunbelt Conference: Have to disagree with you on comparing football with soccer. In soccer Denver is usually nationally ranked each year but in football no one is even close to the top 20. Second, could any UNT program men or women beat Baylor in there sport. I say no. Baylor womens soccer might not have a winning record but they are a very good team and they beat Texas this year. Like I said there is not another program at North Texas that could beat Baylor much less compete with them.

Yes the shot total was 20 to 9 which is much better than what I stated. Not sure you can directly compare soccer and american football either.

Not sure about your other references, last I looked Texas was rated in the top 20 in football. Yes UNT could and has beat Baylor in basketball and football.

Fact in imho is that Denver is almost impossible to beat at home. So hopefully if the teams play at the conference meet, NT can prevail.

By the way I enjoy you enthusiam and comments relative to a non-money sport. I wish there was more interest in these sports on the message boards. Please keep us advised on any happenings on the NT soccer program.

UNT over Baylor was certainly a quality win - no doubt about it - especially considering Baylor's subsequent upset of Texas ... However, after a quick look at other SBC schedules, I could not find another OCC win I would label "quality" ... Also, although Denver has been ranked before this year, they have failed to win a NCCA tournament game as far as I can tell.