How Mean Green softball is shaping up in 2025 and beyond

In my relatively short time as a Mean Green fan, I don't think I've seen a team so carried by seniors. This weekend's series was the last three games at Lovelace for 10 Mean Green seniors, and all but one (Truitt) was either an everyday starter or saw significant playing time.

Here's who will be returning barring any transfers. All classifications are what they will be in 2025.

Likely starters (in my opinion)
Rylee Nicholson (SR) - UT
Cierra Simon (SR) - SS
Madison Conley (SO) - UT
Tatum Sparks (JR) - UT
Elizabeth Moffitt (SO) - C
Jodie Epperson (JR) - OF

Returning Pitching Staff
Skylar Savage (SR)
Mackenzie Childers (JR)
Kayleigh Smith (SO)

Returning, but will they play?
Mikaela Olguin (JR) - OF
Emma Grahmann (SR) - IF
Blayze McNemar (SO or RS-F?) - OF
Maci George (SO or RS-F?) - IF

There doesn't appear to be a website to find commits for softball, so through social media, here are the incoming freshmen I have found:
Katy Brock, OF, Mabank
Shelby Buffington, P, Franklin Page (Tennessee)
Rylie Harris, C, Forney
Gracie Mahoney, P, Macomb Dakota (Michigan) - another 6 footer, like Skylar
Ausha Moore, IF, Carl Albert HS (Midwest City, OK)
Taylor Platt, OF, Argyle

Committed Inbound Freshmen for 2026
Eva Daniels, IF, Forney
Laila Nobles, IF, Pearland
Addie Perry, UT/C, Aledo

Love the Metroplex talent we are bringing in. Forney's currently the #1 team in the state. But looks like we still have a handful of spots to fill next year. Going to need to improve the hitting and power. Maybe we can land some home run threats in the portal who want to get closer to home.

I'll post stories and highlights of the commits shortly.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

• Matt from A700 changed the title to How Mean Green softball is shaping up in 2025 and beyond

Great information

Losing the literal foundation of Delong's softball program at NT

This should be NT's year, but as good as the team is; it IMO has underperforms thus far based on the senior class. Several of the seniors were actually much better earlier in their NT's careers.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Great information

Losing the literal foundation of Delong's softball program at NT

This should be NT's year, but as good as the team is; it IMO has underperforms thus far based on the senior class. Several of the seniors were actually much better earlier in their NT's careers.  

I don't know what the problem is, either. Can't blame it on a tougher confernece when half of the 10-team AAC is CUSA refugees, including the top three in the standings.

I haven't been disappointed in how we've done in conference play. We're gonna finish anywhere from 17-10  to 20-7 in league play.

Was disappointed in how we didn't compete against name teams,  in OOC play. 

I do think the future is bright. I think those incoming recruits are very talented. (especially the pitchers from Michigan and Tennessee). And I think Ausha Moore, will be another speed merchant like Cierra is.

One more thing: I think Madison Conley will be our next great power hitter.  

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Truitt and Donohoe are listed as juniors on the official roster. Did they graduate and decide not to return?

They were part of Senior Day....for whatever that's worth. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SUMG said:

They were part of Senior Day....for whatever that's worth. 

I saw that as I was trying to determine the ten when only eight players were listed as seniors on the roster. Guess they have graduated and decided to get on with life. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 3:53 PM, UNTLifer said:

Truitt and Donohoe are listed as juniors on the official roster. Did they graduate and decide not to return?

I saw that earlier in the season but I'm pretty sure they're both seniors. Donohoe especially has been here a long time I know for sure. Think the website's just wrong.

Edit: after checking, Donohoe has been here since 2020. Truitt has been with us since 2021 but did not play in 2022 due to injury. I would assume that would have been a redshirt year, but yeah maybe she's ready to move on and graduate. Has only been used as a pinch runner this spring. 

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 2

On 4/28/2024 at 1:52 PM, SUMG said:

I haven't been disappointed in how we've done in conference play. We're gonna finish anywhere from 17-10  to 20-7 in league play.

Was disappointed in how we didn't compete against name teams,  in OOC play. 

The OOC play has been disappointing for sure. The past two years especially we just have not been competitive against most of our power conference foes aside from the two Iowa State wins in Fayetteville and home win against OSU last year. 

While we still have a chance for first place overall in the conference, our lacking offensive output is still concerning to me. We have 211 runs and 40 homers in 50 games this season compared to 297 runs and 71 homers in 53 games in 2022.

That sweep to UAB is going to haunt us if we don't finish in the Top 2.

• Upvote 2