Hypothetical

if Aaron Scott, Rubin Jones and/or Jason Edwards announced that they were leaving UNT before their eligibility expired in order to turn professional...whether that be in the NBA, G-League or Europe...what would y'all's reaction be?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

My objection is with a Mean Green player leaving to represent another college. If they want to leave early for the NBA or overseas, then I don’t hold that against them. But if they are suiting up for another school then I hope they miss every shot they take and lose every rebound.

*Unless they weren’t getting an opportunity to play here. Then I wish them well. 

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, keith said:

I'll play or at least try to explain the reaction we observe.  Can't speak for everyone, but I think most (maybe all) would be absolutely fine with the scenario you lay out above.  I think your real question is why do people react negatively when our players (especially starters/stars) hit the portal, but welcome with open arms players that transfer in.  The latter doesn't need a lot of explanation.  I'll try to dissect the former.

I think the initial visceral reaction when "our players" choose to leave is deeply-rooted in the fragile psyche of the Mean Green fan base.  Those here are passionate about the University of North Texas, want good things for the school, want the athletic teams to be successful and desperately want the recognition that comes with winning and championships.  In the case of athletic success much of that is dependent on the athletes.  They become the vehicle for that recognition.

When athletes choose to come to UNT over other schools it serves as a type of consensual validation of the choice each of us made to attend here.  When those same player spend 3 or 4 years developing their skills, becoming starters or stars on the team, they are seen, rightly or wrongly, as a catalyst that will surely get us over that hump and the recognition we are all starved for.  Plus we get to know them well...they are one of us.  Then on the cusp of everything good that will come next season, they choose to leave.  It's like they are saying they have outgrown us and they cannot get where they want to be if they stay associated with UNT.   For those that are so passionate about North Texas, that's hard to hear and it hurts.  On top of that, throw in the realization that any success that athlete may have in his or her one year at XYZ U will accrue to XYZ U and not North Texas.  That's like rubbing salt in the wound.   

Eventually, I think everyone gets over it, but for the long-suffering fan base it's just another hit.  It's a rather ordinary and understandable emotional reaction when you think about it.   

This is too logical to be accepted as fact.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 hours ago, keith said:

I'll play or at least try to explain the reaction we observe.  Can't speak for everyone, but I think most (maybe all) would be absolutely fine with the scenario you lay out above.  I think your real question is why do people react negatively when our players (especially starters/stars) hit the portal, but welcome with open arms players that transfer in.  The latter doesn't need a lot of explanation.  I'll try to dissect the former.

I think the initial visceral reaction when "our players" choose to leave is deeply-rooted in the fragile psyche of the Mean Green fan base.  Those here are passionate about the University of North Texas, want good things for the school, want the athletic teams to be successful and desperately want the recognition that comes with winning and championships.  In the case of athletic success much of that is dependent on the athletes.  They become the vehicle for that recognition.

When athletes choose to come to UNT over other schools it serves as a type of consensual validation of the choice each of us made to attend here.  When those same player spend 3 or 4 years developing their skills, becoming starters or stars on the team, they are seen, rightly or wrongly, as a catalyst that will surely get us over that hump and the recognition we are all starved for.  Plus we get to know them well...they are one of us.  Then on the cusp of everything good that will come next season, they choose to leave.  It's like they are saying they have outgrown us and they cannot get where they want to be if they stay associated with UNT.   For those that are so passionate about North Texas, that's hard to hear and it hurts.  On top of that, throw in the realization that any success that athlete may have in his or her one year at XYZ U will accrue to XYZ U and not North Texas.  That's like rubbing salt in the wound.   

Eventually, I think everyone gets over it, but for the long-suffering fan base it's just another hit.  It's a rather ordinary and understandable emotional reaction when you think about it.   

this is actually a flawless answer, thank you. 

I guess I just don't need the external validation of many on here. I wonder how many people go to therapy on a semi-regular basis. 

one thing I pulled out, though..."Plus we get to know them well...they are one of us"...another poster mentioned something to the effect that they felt I think it was AScott felt like family. if there's actual consideration for the individual, wouldn't you then want them to be able to pursue better or at least the perception of better opportunities? Ryan Woolridge was one of my favorite players here...was stoked that he got the chance to finish his career at Gonzaga. like it or not, the Big XII and SEC (where we've lost players recently) are better conferences and game in/game out better experiences than what UNT/AAC has to offer. I can't fault the player for wanting more. 

top programs lose players after a year or two on the regular...be it one/two-and-dones who go pro or the same transfer portal issues...and they continue to reload because its a program, not one team/roster. maybe we need a few more years of winning basketball for more to recognize that we have a "program" in place now

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

18 hours ago, keith said:

Well put. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, keith said:

This is one of the best and most accurate things ive ever read on this site! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1