Most challenging schedule ever?

Agree, our most challenging schedule ever....

North Texas @ Missouri L 7 28
North Texas   Kansas L 10 27
North Texas   Oregon State W 30 27
North Texas @ (10) Oklahoma L 10 51
North Texas @ Nevada L 24 56
North Texas   UAB L 14 19
North Texas @ LSU L 7 49
North Texas @ (18) Alabama L 19 38
North Texas @ Nevada-Las Vegas L 24 34
North Texas   Idaho State W 41 38
North Texas @ Louisville L 14 57

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

If only we could financially pull off football independence and schedule like this today.  

We could. Those 5 @ games in 1995 would net the football program around 7.5M dollars if scheduled today. Which is more than the American pays us. Then try to schedule 7 wins with the remainder of your slots and hope to pick off a win or 2 in one of those money games. Or go full body bag games and try to swipe some home and homes or 2 for 1s and pitch our schedule to recruits. This is the FSU model to relevance. 

Or just curl up and die. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

15 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

That was 7 away games and Kansas was at Texas Stadium. 

UAB was 1AA in 1995 and had been Division 3 until 1992. That homecoming loss was one of the most disappointing losses in my almost 50 years as a fan. Dan McCarney proved that it can get worse.

No thank you. 

One good thing about that season was all games were telecast with Gil Brandt as one of the announcers. 

The come from behind victory over Oregon State is certainly a top highlight of my memories as a fan.

My hypothetical assumed that all home games would be in Denton and UAB as a decent G5 team.  Also I count only 6 road games as the Kansas game is at worse a “neutral site” game hundreds of miles from Kansas in DFW.  And the Idaho State game would be swapped with maybe a team like New Mexico, UTEP, Tulsa, Tulane or La Tech, as Idaho State plays FCS now.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

My hypothetical assumed that all home games would be in Denton and UAB as a decent G5 team.  Also I count only 6 road games as the Kansas game is at worse a “neutral site” game hundreds of miles from Kansas in DFW.  And the Idaho State game would be swapped with maybe a team like New Mexico, UTEP, Tulsa, Tulane or La Tech, as Idaho State plays FCS now.

Count again. There were 7 away games, 3 at Fouts, and Kansas in Irving.

• Upvote 4

I attended the Louisville game that year.

That game was played in their old stadium not the new show piece UL has now.

Made sure I purchased tickets in the covered seating area which was a good thing since it rained most of that game.

UNT actually led briefly in that game 7-0.

North Texas still leads the series though.

image.png.e6ab02de0affedc78ed573fcd2d3f7ea.png

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreen01 said:

Maybe because we were 2-9 with that schedule. Coaches and possible AD’s aren’t employed that long with those kind of records… not to mention recruiting and etc 

In 1995 we were basically Independent, moving from 1-AA Southland Conference to 1-A Big West Conference in 1996.  We were limited in who we could schedule and where the game would be.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

That year, we played KU, who ended up ranked tenth, we played at OU, who was ranked 10th when we played them, we played at LSU who was ranked at one time that season, at Alabama, who finished ranked 21st. Louisville, who was an independent and went 7-4,and Nevada, who won the Big West in 1995. Missouri wasn't good, but we played them to open the season before they got beat up by the best conference in CFB that year, the Big Eight, which had 4 teams in the top ten, and Nebraska won the national title by about 100 over a great Florida team. We beat a bad Oregon State team at home, which led to them firing their coach and building up into a legit program just a few years later, as their fans openly said that was their low point of their football program's existence. We beat Idaho State, a 1-aa school, late in the season in our final home game, and we lost two terrible games, at home vs UAB, who was 1-aa at the time, and at UNLV, who only won 2 games all year. 

That exact schedule today would be a dream for an independent program, but it was a nightmare for our program. And even though we joined the Big West the next season, our OOC games were brutal for most of the next two decades, basically.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2