Florida State officially leaving ACC?

Dannymacfan

4 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

The legal argument is laughable with the actual filing having multiple spelling and grammatical errors.  it is a total clown show

The lawyers here please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think spelling and grammatical errors in validate a legal filing. It they did, I believe a lot of attorneys would be looking for other work! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

A lot can happen in discovery with emails and depositions. Was it presented knowing it would devalue and did the ACC lobby for the schools knowing it would devalue. I want to see the ACC keep their members, if not the trickle down effect will negatively impact the AAC. Both conferences just need to understand they will never get to play for a National Championship.

That discovery road goes both ways.  FSU doesn't want to get into that.  There are already dozens of publicly available statements from the FSU brass praising the agreement in 2016 as being a "historic milestone" and "great for the long-term stability of the league".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

You wouldn't be here debating it if you didn't have concerns.  FSU is soon gone.  Then Clemson, UNC, etc....

When that bridge is ready to cross in 2036 we'll worry about it then but not anytime soon.

And if so call up Tulane and USF.  Call it a day.

• Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

The lawyers here please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think spelling and grammatical errors in validate a legal filing. It they did, I believe a lot of attorneys would be looking for other work! 

Generally spelling and grammatical errors will not make a legal filing null and void and without legal force or effect.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

It doesn't invalidate the legal argument or filing but it speaks more to the total jackassery and general ineptitude of the counsel.  This thing was flung together by a team of monkeys banging a cymbal.  Its arguments are laugh out loud hysterical.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

They actually kind of are poor (by ACC standards).  Endowment is the smallest in the league except for Louisville.  

Again, like $mut, they won't use endowment money.  It's booster money or a hedge fund.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Welcome back to G5. Lol.

PITT, BC, Louisville, GA Tech, CAL, Stanford, Syracuse, Duke, WF.....

or UNT, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, UAB, FAU, Charlotte.

Its one thing to be willfully obtuse but blindly ignorant is totally different.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Again, like $mut, they won't use endowment money.  It's booster money or a hedge fund.

Lets see if they have any billionaires hiding under the couch cushions.  They don't have the money.  Period.

And no hedge fund is getting involved.  lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

If there are lawyers that are looking at GoMeanGreen.com I pray for their clients 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

39 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

It doesn't invalidate the legal argument or filing but it speaks more to the total jackassery and general ineptitude of the counsel.  This thing was flung together by a team of monkeys banging a cymbal.  Its arguments are laugh out loud hysterical.

brooklyn-nine-nine-test-results.gif

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Happens all the time and you don't want it to happen before certain judges who are really good at such because they will embarrass you which is worse than losing.

The late Arkansas Supreme Court Justice George Rose Smith was a beast. In 1947 he wrote a law review article just tearing the state Supreme Court up for shoddy writing and logic. Ended up running for Supreme Court and served from 1948 to 1986. 

A few people called him out for that law review article from 1947 and he offered a $100 ($1200 in today dollars) reward to anyone who ever found a grammatical mistake in any opinion he authored and it was never claimed.

His idea of a hobby was creating crossword puzzles selling them to numerous publishers including the New York Times. Most of his NY Times rejections were for making puzzles that were too hard.

But most judges aren't going to catch anything beyond the most jarring errors because they are skimming a lot to keep caught up.

12 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Generally spelling and grammatical errors will not make a legal filing null and void and without legal force or effect.

Spelling, punctuation, grammar gets highlighted when you are trying to sort out the meaning of a contract or statute. Pleadings, it is rarely relevant.

In Maine the lack of a comma in the state's overtime statute led to milk drivers getting overtime. Exempted was

The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:

The lawsuit came down to whether the legislature meant to exempt "packing for shipping or distribution" which would be packing goods for either shipping or distribution or they meant that as two independent items "packing for shipping" being one item and "distribution" an independent item. 

Dairy believed they were separate items so milk delivery drivers were exempt from overtime because they work in distribution.

Court held that since there was no Oxford comma or serial comma after distribution to clearly indicate that the intent was to make those two independent activities that it should be read as one activity. 

$5 million in back pay was ordered.

If Florida State can go to a private equity group with an offer in hand from SEC or B1G and is willing to give up a high enough percentage of revenue, sure someone will make them a deal.

Question is whether the leaks indicating that they will join Big 12 if neither invites is serious. We've had SEC connected reporters saying the votes aren't there to add Florida State or Clemson. At one time B1G was supposedly very interested in possibly adding some mix of UVA, UNC, Florida State, and Georgia Tech. Having just added four from Pac-12 the appetite to grow any time soon may not be there and taking a non-AAU even harder to push through.

The Big XII boasts of its stability via grant of rights, do you really invite a school that busted or bought its way out of a GOR?

Florida State has toyed with arguing sovereign immunity because Florida has a very strong set of statutes and case law. Supposedly stronger than Texas, ask Mike Leach's family how much Tech ended up paying out after being found to have breached his contract.

If you put yourself in the shoe of a university president considering the application of Florida State, how willing are you to vote yes if they used state law to declare they aren't bound by agreements they signed? Again if they bust or buy out of a massive grant of rights, do you view them as someone you want to make an equity partnership with?

• Upvote 1