Playoff bracket predictions?

meangreenfaninno

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Personally, they should expand the playoffs to 20. We have 10 conferences. Put in the top 2 from each conferences and done. No committee. You want a real playoff? That's the only way.

16 team is my opinion.

10 conference champs and 6 at large. Still majority p5 for the most part but dam give the g5 a chance.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, NT80 said:

It was current FSU vs current Bama.   Bama is stronger, thus FSU is out of luck.   Sucks to be like UCF a few years ago, undefeated and no respect....welcome to G5 FSU!!

I was saying that Michigan was praised for their defensive effort against Iowa while FSU's was even more impressive.  Since apparently we can throw out undefeateds willy nilly I was just comparing them to another.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I was saying that Michigan was praised for their defensive effort against Iowa while FSU's was even more impressive.  Since apparently we can throw out undefeateds willy nilly I was just comparing them to another.

I agree FSU's defense is elite.  Their offense was elite also until their starting QB had surgery. I watched their game last night and their offense was ugly using a freshman with little experience.  If the context of selection is as the CFP Committee stated:  "The best (currently), not the most deserving" then Bama is overall better that FSU, currently.  

I'm just not sure I agree.  Yes, FSU's offense struggled with their 3rd string.  Their backup is supposed to be back by Bowl season.  Sure, Rodemaker didn't play great against Florida last week, but he was decent and FSU might be able to beat anyone with a average game manager given their D.  Michigan's offense usually grinds teams down...they aren't exactly explosive.  I'd give FSU a good shot against the Wolverines if they'd been selected.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Against a 5-7 Florida and a Louisville squad that lost to 7-5 Kentucky and 3-9 Pitt.

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Rivalry games are always weird. 

You use FSU barely winning a rivalry game against them, but you excuse Alabama having to win with a Hail Mary on 4th and 30 because it’s a rivalry game.  You must be on the playoff committee 🤣😉

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NT93 said:

You use FSU barely winning a rivalry game against them, but you excuse Alabama having to win with a Hail Mary on 4th and 30 because it’s a rivalry game.  You must be on the playoff committee 🤣😉

The difference is FSU followed it up with a 55 passing yard performance in a 16-6 win against Louisville. Alabama followed it up by ending 2 time defending champion and #1 ranked Georgia's 29 game winning streak. If you can't see how those are different, I can't help you.

The point with the rivalry game comment is anything can happen. Alabama showed it was a bad performance. FSU showed their offense is a shell of what it was prior to injury.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If you can't see how those are different, I can't help you.

I can see that you and the committee use it form the OPINION that Alabama is better than FSU instead of using results on the field.  Look, I’m sorry the mighty SEC shouldn’t have a team in the playoff, but that’s just the way it worked out this year.  Hypothetical (and I know how you’re going to answer this) what if Jordan Travis hadn’t gotten hurt and the FSU offense performed similarly the final two games?  

12 minutes ago, CMJ said:

They still defeated a ranked team by double digits.

Thank you.

I can’t believe I’m defending FSU.  They are bottom 10, maybe even bottom 5 on my least favorite team list.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CMJ said:

They still defeated a ranked team by double digits.

I'm not sure FSU's fate would have been any different even with their starter.  The SEC has huge influence, and they were not going to be left out of a playoff.  Someone had to be sacrificed for the SEC.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I can see that you and the committee use it form the OPINION that Alabama is better than FSU instead of using results on the field.  Look, I’m sorry the mighty SEC shouldn’t have a team in the playoff, but that’s just the way it worked out this year.  Hypothetical (and I know how you’re going to answer this) what if Jordan Travis hadn’t gotten hurt and the FSU offense performed similarly the final two games?  

Thank you.

I can’t believe I’m defending FSU.  They are bottom 10, maybe even bottom 5 on my least favorite team list.

It's not just an opinion ("I like the color blue").  It's a view, based on observable evidence (watching games) and available statistics.  Not much different than the scientific method.

I don't like the current system either, but this is a weird road your taking.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

My 0.02:

You definitely want the best teams in, based on quality of play at time of selection.  This means the beginning of the season doesn't hold as much value.  A team can be playing much better at the end of the season compared to the beginning.  I think this is what the committee currently strives for
....BUT, I want a system that allows for any and all undefeated teams a chance, too.  You cannot deny a team the opportunity if they haven't lost.  Until they lose, you never know.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Thank you.

If you let FSU in then why not Liberty? FSU's strength of schedule was 55th in the country. Alabama's was 5th. This isn't any worst than leaving out an undefeated UCF in 2018. People are only upset here because FSU is a big "P5" program and because Alabama is hated.

I ask again, if strength of schedule doesn't matter and you just want undefeated, why not Liberty? The committee members are frauds! Why not Liberty????

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It's not just an opinion ("I like the color blue").  It's a view, based on observable evidence (watching games) and available statistics.  Not much different than the scientific method.

I don't like the current system either, but this is a weird road your taking.

Anything that is not a fact is an opinion regardless of what it’s based on.  

Not sure what’s weird about stating that FSU did everything they could on the field to earn a spot in the playoff.  I know the real reason they aren’t in the playoff is politics, but my discussion is based on the premise that they didn’t get in because people “think” Alabama is better.  As I said in an earlier post, just scrap the playoffs and go back to the AP voters choosing the National Champion.  I mean, they would have all of this “observable evidence” to make to be certain they got it right.

48 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If you let FSU in then why not Liberty? FSU's strength of schedule was 55th in the country. Alabama's was 5th. This isn't any worst than leaving out an undefeated UCF in 2018. People are only upset here because FSU is a big "P5" program and because Alabama is hated.

I ask again, if strength of schedule doesn't matter and you just want undefeated, why not Liberty? The committee members are frauds! Why not Liberty????

I completely agree about UCF getting screwed in 2018.  I thought it was bad then and I still think it’s bad. 

The difference is that Oklahoma, Clemson and Alabama all had a loss, and Georgia had two losses.  Undefeated UCF was still left out.  That’s much, much different than what happened this year.

I get the point you’re making about Liberty, but their schedule was worse than weak and they don’t have a single quality win.  In this case, that’s like comparing 3A ball to 6A.

By the way, I dislike FSU more than I dislike Alabama.

• Haha 1

If you are of the mindset that FSU shouldn’t be in bc they wouldn’t be favored in a head to head over Texas or Alabama right now, then you should also be of the mindset that Texas shouldn’t be in bc if they played tomorrow they would definitely be dogs to Georgia and probably Ohio State too.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think 8 teams max, as long as a G5 gets a shot. Usually the 7th/8th ranked teams still have 2 losses after the conference championship games. If you've got 3+ and still think you deserve a chance at the title you had plenty of chances to not screw the pooch. I don't want to see the regular season shrinking to accommodate a playoff for the elite.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

That true freshman was QB 8/21 passing for 55 yards against Louisville. The guy the week prior was 12/25 passing for 134 yards. If anybody actually believes FSU is one of the 4 best teams right now, I have a beach front property in Kansas to sell you. They're supposed to put in the 4 best teams, not the 4 most deserving.

And despite that, they won. The playoff, in my opinion, should reward teams that had the best season, not the best last few games. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The mighty SEC vs the other P5’s during the regular season.

Big 12:  1-2

Pac 12: 2-1

ACC: 4-6

Big 10: no games

The biggest eye opener to me is that the SEC plays very few non-conference games against other P5’s.  Each team plays about 1 P5, the rest are G5 and below.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And despite that, they won. The playoff, in my opinion, should reward teams that had the best season, not the best last few games. 

Then why aren't you arguing that Liberty should be in? I've brought them up in this thread yet nobody has picked their side. Everybody wants to defend the big P5 but nobody is fighting for the 13-0 G5 champion.

FSU and Alabama have one common opponent.  The Seminoles defeated LSU by 21 and Alabama did by 14.  Obviously it's just a single data point, but since people keep going back to Florida State struggling over a ranked Louisville, I thought I'd point that out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Then why aren't you arguing that Liberty should be in? I've brought them up in this thread yet nobody has picked their side. Everybody wants to defend the big P5 but nobody is fighting for the 13-0 G5 champion.

I think the issue is more so that FSU was ranked #4 prior to the conference championship games and, despite winning, they were bypassed by the teams ranked #7 and #8.  

Plus, and I’ve already addressed this, Liberty is not the normal undefeated G5.  Honestly, they may be overranked at #18.  Nobody is a bigger proponent of G5’s being given an opportunity to prove themselves more than me, but Liberty just doesn’t have the resume to be able to defend them.  You know as well as I do that they were lucky to get the NY6 invite.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

FSU and Alabama have one common opponent.  The Seminoles defeated LSU by 21 and Alabama did by 14.  Obviously it's just a single data point, but since people keep going back to Florida State struggling over a ranked Louisville, I thought I'd point that out. 

FSU does not have their quarterback playing. Everything that happened prior to injury is irrelevant. If they lost a skill position  player, that's different. This is a quarterback.

11 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I think the issue is more so that FSU was ranked #4 prior to the conference championship games and, despite winning, they were bypassed by the teams ranked #7 and #8.  

Plus, and I’ve already addressed this, Liberty is not the normal undefeated G5.  Honestly, they may be overranked at #18.  Nobody is a bigger proponent of G5’s being given an opportunity to prove themselves more than me, but Liberty just doesn’t have the resume to be able to defend them.  You know as well as I do that they were lucky to get the NY6 invite.

If you look at FSU's schedule, they played a single team with 10 wins which is Louisville. Alabama beat a 10 win Ole Miss, 12 win Georgia ending a 29 game winning streak, and their only loss is to 12-1 Texas. Texas only played two teams with 10+ wins and they went 1-1. Problem is they beat Alabama. If you put Alabama in, you have to put in 12-1 Texas since they're the only team to beat Bama. The argument I'd make over FSU is they didn't play any quality opponents in conference play. Not their fault but the ACC was weak this year and they go the weak draw. I'm going to say it again but FSU didn't a play single team with 10 or more wins until the conference championship. After that, it's a 9 win LSU and an 8 win Clemson. They did not play 9 win NC State and they did not play 8 win UNC either which are the next best ACC teams. Looking at simple opponent win-loss, I really don't think this is as controversial as people are making it out to be. They had a weak schedule. They took advantage of it but I can't look at it and say they're a top 4 team right now.