Cougar High Trademark Infringement

That shouldn't hold up in court.  The only thing that resembles the Oilers' franchise is the colors.  There is nothing referencing the Houston Oilers on those uniforms.  If this holds up, then I guess all those little league teams need to take off their navy blue pinstripes.  We don't want anyone confusing them with the New York Yankees.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Btw, Rice has not received their letter yet for a similar infraction...

...yet.

If it happens, it makes me wonder if UH got picked on first because Rice's endowment Is, like, 7+ times as large.  Hell, Rice's endowment is larger than the average market value of an NFL franchise.

Edited by greenminer
  • Haha 1

On 10/30/2023 at 10:46 PM, DeepGreen said:
The #NFL has ordered Houston to cease the usage of Oilers-inspired alternate, powder blue uniforms, citing trademark infringement. (via @HoustonChron, @redditcfb)

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of guys!

tfOVEK0T_normal.png

Dov Kleiman

Don't worry @DeepGreen I'm sure UNT will get a C&D from Hannah Barbera because of all the Secret Squirrel mascot stuff.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 11/2/2023 at 4:10 PM, NT80 said:

Couldn't happen to a more deserving program and city!!    Lol

Btw, Rice has not received their letter yet for a similar infraction...

RiceOilersUniformsX.jpg

F7MxmGBWAAAtP2A?format=jpg&name=large

Maybe because they aren’t even close to as good as UH’s. The Rice ones you can’t even tell are related to the old Oilers. They could be just as much UNC or Tulane tributes.

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Maybe because they aren’t even close to as good as UH’s. The Rice ones you can’t even tell are related to the old Oilers. They could be just as much UNC or Tulane tributes.

It's because they say "Rice". You can't trademark a color scheme. But since UH's unis have "Houston" across the chest and look just like the old Oilers unis, the NFL is claiming copyright infringement. 

Based on what I've read, UH could simply swap  "Houston" for "Cougars". 

Edited by UNTcrazy727

32 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It's because they say "Rice". You can't trademark a color scheme. But since UH's unis have "Houston" across the chest and look just like the old Oilers unis, the NFL is claiming copyright infringement. 

Based on what I've read, UH could simply swap  "Houston" for "Cougars". 

I don’t understand though, you can trademark the name of a city now? The University of Houston putting Houston on the front of the jersey is no different than Rice putting Rice or us putting North Texas. My recollection is that the Oilers never had the word Houston anywhere on their uniforms.