Calling This Before I Can Say "I Told You So"

rojomojo

8 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Odd reply, but you’ve made it obvious that you have some sort of problem with @Censored by Laurie so I guess maybe I should have expected it to go there.

Just the opposite. I have a love/hate “relationship” with @Censored by Laurie. Search the board and you will find it. Some things I totally disagree with and some things I couldn’t agree more. I will say it again, as much as I would like to NOT like @Censored by Laurie, I find it impossible. Makes too much sense at times. You obviously missed that one. Probably had some chores to do for the Mrs.

But you didn’t answer my question. It was a 2 sentence reply and you did everything but answer the simple question. Makes me think you have an agenda. I think that a lot reading the thoughts of fellow posters. I can usually set my clock by @Censored by Laurie to answer a straight forward question. Now I may not like the reply, but @Censored by Laurie doesn’t tap dance & moonwalk around a question. But you did.

• Downvote 2

I thought it was rhetorical question to get in a jab at that guy you have the love/hate relationship with.

To answer your question, he’s correct.  But what you did by calling the team “trash” hardly seems the same to me.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I thought it was rhetorical question to get in a jab at that guy you have the love/hate relationship with.

To answer your question, he’s correct.  But what you did by calling the team “trash” hardly seems the same to me.

If it is true for him, then it should be true for me - right? Unless you have an agenda as it relates to me. Playing favorites are we? Not enough board seniority? 

Why does this theme continue to resurface in  darn near every conversation? 

No need to answer any of my questions. I already have the answers. 

• Downvote 3

23 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Quote the team is “trash” comment. I wrote a lot today. I remember “pitiful”, don’t remember trash 🗑️. Would love to see what followed. Thanking you in advance.

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

If it is true for him, then it should be true for me - right? Unless you have an agenda as it relates to me. Playing favorites are we? Not enough board seniority? 

Why does this theme continue to resurface in  darn near every conversation? 

No need to answer any of my questions. I already have the answers. 

IMG_1438.gif

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Quote the team is “trash” comment. I wrote a lot today. I remember “pitiful”, don’t remember trash 🗑️. Would love to see what followed. Thanking you in advance.

My apologies.  Didn’t intend to put words in your mouth, but I certainly did.  Ridiculous use of quotations on my part.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Maybe because we are students before anything else. 🧐 Wait until football season - find your whipping boy and you can best believe I’ll be there to point out the good. 

Your real question should be which sport did I play?

NIL would beg to differ. 

Not sure what sport you played has anything to do with Stone's play, but I am sure you will tell me.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Odd translation to someone admitting they made a mistake and apologizing, but whatever.

Pitiful 

Trash

Is there really that much difference?  

You are indeed a pitiful individual for doing what you did. I truly pity you. Why you put forth such an effort for likes or some sort of herd acceptance is beyond me. I, however, do not feel that you are trash. 

There really is that much difference Mr. NT93, there really is. 😞

• Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

And you followed with the gif. 🤣🤣

Hilariously Pitiful 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I thought your reply was funny…in a ridiculous sort of way that didn’t justify a  real response.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Say you know nothing about NIL and its “payouts” without saying you know nothing about NIL and its “payouts”.?

You say you support the students. And that is fine. College basketball isn't about the student athletes any longer. It is about who can spend more money to field the best team. That's NIL and the landscape.

Just because Stone didn't get a "payout" doesn't mean he should be cut any slack.  In fact, he is taking the spot for someone that could offer more. That's the point. 

Even if we go back to the old days where it was scholarships. Do you reward someone for underperforming because you want to "support" them?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Even if we go back to the old days where it was scholarships. Do you reward someone for underperforming because you want to "support" them?

With all due respect, what do you mean by the old days? Five, six years ago or some period in time where my parents hadn’t met? Not a troll, I honestly don’t know the time period of which you are referring.

I think you are underestimating the value of player 9 & 10 on a basketball team. Try playing 5 on 5 basketball with 8 guys. Imagine one of our starters playing scout team in order to get the team ready for the next opponent. He can’t run the other team’s offense while defending himself.

Edited by HoosMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, BigWillie said:

You say you support the students. And that is fine. College basketball isn't about the student athletes any longer.

When were collegiate athletics ever about the “student athletes”? My research has shown never. But of course a student currently in his 20’s more than likely thinks of never as a time frame much shorter than most adults 😃 (Dad says no to Cancun for Spring Break and I say he never allows me to do anything, all while ignoring the trip to Hawaii last year!)

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

When were collegiate athletics ever about the “student athletes”? My research has shown never. But of course a student currently in his 20’s more than likely thinks of never as a time frame much shorter than most adults 😃 (Dad says no to Cancun for Spring Break and I say he never allows me to do anything, all while ignoring the trip to Hawaii last year!)

It was about the students when they played for an education, not for a job. I am a proponent of NIL for the record, just can't say it was never about the students and their education. That's the whole point of a scholarship.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

With all due respect, what do you mean by the old days? Five, six years ago or some period in time where my parents hadn’t met? Not a troll, I honestly don’t know the time period of which you are referring.

I think you are underestimating the value of player 9 & 10 on a basketball team. Try playing 5 on 5 basketball with 8 guys. Imagine one of our starters playing scout team in order to get the team ready for the next opponent. He can’t run the other team’s offense while defending himself.

Old days = before NIL.

So for your logic, we should just give away scholarships to players that give our best players rest? I think if that's your standard, there are probably several walk ons that would be a warm body on the court for you.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Old days = before NIL.

So for your logic, we should just give away scholarships to players that give our best players rest? I think if that's your standard, there are probably several walk ons that would be a warm body on the court for you.

Isn't that what Hodge has now, 7 guys that basically just sit on the end of the bench and never play?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Isn't that what Hodge has now, 7 guys that basically just sit on the end of the bench and never play?  

We don't know the full situation there, we just see the end result. I can't criticize them because we don't get to see them play. I can criticize Stone because I have seen him play.

In other words, I don't know if they are worth their scholarships, I just know that Stone isn't. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

It was about the students when they played for an education, not for a job. I am a proponent of NIL for the record, just can't say it was never about the students and their education. That's the whole point of a scholarship.

I will assume that back in the good old days those schools churned out thousands of doctors, and lawyers, and such? Too many documentaries on athletes that couldn’t read or write. It was never about the “student”, it was always the athlete. 

Once the student/athletes got wind of AD & Coach salaries, TV revenue, etc. vs their “cost of scholarship” the gig was up. 

I doubt my pediatrician or Family doctor see $700K+ on an annual basis, but then they are not entrusted to install defenses or press breaks. As a player my stance would be to keep your education and pay me for my labor. I would gladly pay for my education with my earnings. If a coach is worth $700K, it would be interesting to see a players true value. Prior to NIL it was the cost of a scholarship. I love NIL. If Company X wants to pay me twice what Company Y is willing, then why would one not take it. I doubt anyone here says pay me the bare minimum. I most certainly am not at UNT because my parents sought or accepted the lowest salary possible in the profession.

IMG_2696.jpeg

• Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

We don't know the full situation there, we just see the end result. I can't criticize them because we don't get to see them play. I can criticize Stone because I have seen him play.

In other words, I don't know if they are worth their scholarships, I just know that Stone isn't. 

Yes, but that in itself is the criticism.  They don't play yet take up valuable roster space during a season with injuries that we needed other contributors.   Either play them or trade them, as they say.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1