Dan Patrick Show

UNTLifer

I was listening to the DP Show on the way to work this morning and he shared some supposed inside info on the PAC12 that his college football source left for him.

1.  SDSU will be joining the PAC12.  They will announce this at the same time they announce their media rights deal.  This should occur later this month.

2.  This made me laugh out loud.  SMU will also join the PAC12 because of their "large influence in the state of Texas".  I literally laughed out loud when I heard that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This made me laugh out loud.  SMU will also join the PAC12 because of their "large influence in the state of Texas".  I literally laughed out loud when I heard

In their own minds they are...lol

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I was listening to the DP Show on the way to work this morning and he shared some supposed inside info on the PAC12 that his college football source left for him.

1.  SDSU will be joining the PAC12.  They will announce this at the same time they announce their media rights deal.  This should occur later this month.

2.  This made me laugh out loud.  SMU will also join the PAC12 because of their "large influence in the state of Texas".  I literally laughed out loud when I heard that.

Laugh or not, SMU is getting mentioned.

Where have you seen NT mentioned for any P5 level conference?

SMU is a small factor like NT in the DFW sports market, but unlike NT: SMU doesn't act like it. 

NT  IMO, is doing more positive in Sports from the administration level than at any time.  So this is not a rant complaining about NT's athletics

However, I wish NT would be as aggressive as SMU in getting their name out there.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

SMU is a small factor like NT in the DFW sports market, but unlike NT: SMU doesn't act like it. 

NT  IMO, is doing more positive in Sports from the administration level than at any time.  So this is not a rant complaining about NT's athletics

However, I wish NT would be as aggressive as SMU in getting their name out there.  

Not my point.  He claims that SMU will deliver the Texas market.  Hell, they can't deliver the Dallas market.  Literally, outside of their little University Park bubble, nobody cares about them.

The other comment that cracked me up, was they were discussing the possibility of the PAC12 adding two more teams after SDSU and SMU.  They mentioned UNLV and Boise St.  Their knock on BSU was that outside of football, their sports were weak.  Again, I wanted to point them to SMU and tell me what strong program they have outside of football.

Either way, SMU doesn't deliver the Texas market and doesn't have any influence in the state.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Smu is getting mentioned by a desperate, distant PAC12.  They are never seriously mentioned by the more geographic BIG12; in fact passed over several times. Tulane and Rice have also been floated as possible expansion candidates for the PAC12.  Both, like Smu, are Private schools with above average academics and wealth...in large media markets.  It is these new Media Markets the PAC needs to float a better media product.  The Private school tags are supposed to appeal to the PAC Presidents.  

But the PAC as a Conference could soon see as many as 8 more schools get poached.  It's very likely to become the PAC/MWC in the future.

• Thanks 1

I dont buy it... Last week SDSU came out and announced that they were staying in the MWC, if they were only a few days away from formally joining the PAC12 , then why make a stink of it?  Colorado and Arizona still seem to think that they are headed to the big12.  I dont see how anyone is offering them a deal, if membership for so many schools is still up in the air.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I dont buy it... Last week SDSU came out and announced that they were staying in the MWC, if they were only a few days away from formally joining the PAC12 , then why make a stink of it?  Colorado and Arizona still seem to think that they are headed to the big12.  I dont see how anyone is offering them a deal, if membership for so many schools is still up in the air.

Agree with all of the above. 

Many conference experts also warn there will need to be more internal revenue distribution concessions needed to keep the larger PAC brands happy, like Oregon and Washington.   Boise gets extra revenue in the MWC.  It was one reason USC and UCLA were said to be leaving, because of equal distribution within the PAC, even though they were some of the main media/revenue earners.

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Not my point.  He claims that SMU will deliver the Texas market.  Hell, they can't deliver the Dallas market.  Literally, outside of their little University Park bubble, nobody cares about them.

The other comment that cracked me up, was they were discussing the possibility of the PAC12 adding two more teams after SDSU and SMU.  They mentioned UNLV and Boise St.  Their knock on BSU was that outside of football, their sports were weak.  Again, I wanted to point them to SMU and tell me what strong program they have outside of football.

Either way, SMU doesn't deliver the Texas market and doesn't have any influence in the state.

Did I not say that neither SMU or NT were major factors in DFW sports?

That SMU is getting mentioned for elevation to P5 and NT is not, was my focus.

SMU has taken any "publicity is good publicity" to the extreme, being the most penalized program ever.  

I think that NT has more to offer than SMU to a conference, yet they swing for the fences and we seem to be content with a relatively minor move up to the AAC.  

• Downvote 1