Thinking out loud about NIL strategy

Jonnyeagle

So is it in the Light The Tower NIL’s best interest to write out a big check to Tylor for basically one year or use that money to lure a younger replacement from the portal, who will have used up his free transfer year by coming here?  I am interested as to how you can best utilize the collective.  Also what happens if a school repeatedly has NIL money busts on players who do not produce?  Does that start to impact the giving amount?  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Tylor is not going to be wearing mean green next year…it’s not about money guys.  It’s about going pro!

Completely disagree.

Do you think the pro scouts are going to ignore a player of Perry's abilities because they don't scout a championship level NT program?

My guess it is money, and why should it not be.  Plus most believe a graduate degree has more value from a different institution than the one were a bachelor's was earned.  There is life after basketball.  

Yes, I am sure the pros would like to see Perry in a higher level of competition, but there are few conferences better than  what CUSA has demonstrated.  

There is also a big chance that Perry maynot be near as successful going against overall better teams in a B10 or SEC setting.   There is definitely that risk.  

• Upvote 4

On 4/20/2023 at 9:34 AM, GrandGreen said:

Completely disagree.

Do you think the pro scouts are going to ignore a player of Perry's abilities because they don't scout a championship level NT program?

My guess it is money, and why should it not be.  Plus most believe a graduate degree has more value from a different institution than the one were a bachelor's was earned.  There is life after basketball.  

Yes, I am sure the pros would like to see Perry in a higher level of competition, but there are few conferences better than  what CUSA has demonstrated.  

There is also a big chance that Perry maynot be near as successful going against overall better teams in a B10 or SEC setting.   There is definitely that risk.  

Youre missing the point…if he wants to be a pro, his pedigree is solidified by competing in a higher league.  So even if he doesn’t go NBA or G-League in 2023, he sets himself up for a better shot in 2024 if he goes to a Big 12 or SEC school.  It’s just the facts!

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Youre missing the point…if he wants to be a pro, his pedigree is solidified by competing in a higher league.  So even if he doesn’t go NBA or G-League in 2023, he sets himself up for a better shot in 2024 if he goes to a Big 12 or SEC school.  It’s just the facts!

Not missing any point, you are assuming he is going to be a star in the B12 or SEC.  Then he is in better position, but it is not like the pro scouts don't already have him on the radar and have basically already decided if they think he is pro caliber or not.  

Likewise a poor showing in a higher tier league would cost him a lot in the scout's standings. 

My belief is that he is going to have a tough go in the pros even though I think he is basically underrated as a college player.

His size and quickness will definitely not be assets.  Can he play defense and get his shots versus much quicker and bigger guards?

My projection is that he will end up playing overseas and be able to support himself.   However, with NIL; next year maybe his best chance to make money.   

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

What if he sucks in the better league tho?  Not saying he will but it is a possibility.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

What if he sucks in the better league tho?  Not saying he will but it is a possibility.

I’ve watched him play 2 years here and he was a star in JuCo where basically every kid is D1 but has some baggage…I can’t imagine him sucking anywhere!  More kids in his Kansas Juco conference probably are going pro than will come out of CUSA.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1