Another NIL Wrinkle

7 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with it 

“What the hell” seemed to imply a negative connotation to your view on the situation but you’re right. You didn’t there was anything wrong with it. Just seems like even prior to NIL this would be beneficial to both parties.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

“What the hell” seemed to imply a negative connotation to your view on the situation but you’re right. You didn’t there was anything wrong with it. Just seems like even prior to NIL this would be beneficial to both parties.

“What the hell” like “hey man…what the hell why not”

not “what the hell?!?!”

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

It’s ironic you used the word wrinkle for the title. 

I mean. No one ever skipped their senior year of HS football and enrolled early in college to make a million dollars before….

at least I don’t think they have. Seems like a little wrinkle 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

And I’m guessing Southlake and his teammates would disagree on the Benefits. 

33 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I mean. No one ever skipped their senior year of HS football and enrolled early in college to make a million dollars before….

It’s ironic because these athletes are well…without wrinkles? 😅……and no way that kid is making a million dollars if he skips school. He won’t see the field for like two years. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

And I’m guessing Southlake and his teammates would disagree on the Benefits. 

Well, I’m sure there is one teammate who wouldn’t. But either way that wasn’t either of the parties I was referring too.

10 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Jake Bentley did this in 2016 at South Carolina. Graduated high school before his senior season would’ve started and ended up starting 7 games that season. I also remember Jarnell Stokes, a basketball player, graduating a semester early his senior season and joining the Tennessee basketball team during December of what would have been his senior year in high school. Those were pre-NIL.

If he only has one class left heading into his senior year it’s clear Ewers and his family have been working to make this a possibility years in advance, before NIL was a thing. He didn’t just sign up for summer school last month and knock out a year’s worth of classes to go chase NIL money.

Also, the 3 QBs currently competing for the starting job at Ohio State are freshmen. Probably makes sense to try and nudge into that mix now as opposed to next year when one of them is a sophomore returning starter.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Well, I’m sure there is one teammate who wouldn’t. But either way that wasn’t either of the parties I was referring too.

Jake Bentley did this in 2016 at South Carolina. Graduated high school before his senior season would’ve started and ended up starting 7 games that season. I also remember Jarnell Stokes, a basketball player, graduating a semester early his senior season and joining the Tennessee basketball team during December of what would have been his senior year in high school. Those were pre-NIL.

If he only has one class left heading into his senior year it’s clear Ewers and his family have been working to make this a possibility years in advance, before NIL was a thing. He didn’t just sign up for summer school last month and knock out a year’s worth of classes to go chase NIL money.

Also, the 3 QBs currently competing for the starting job at Ohio State are freshmen. Probably makes sense to try and nudge into that mix now as opposed to next year when one of them is a sophomore returning starter.

Hey I hear you….

Those were one offs….just seems like this will become more common now. So the trickle down of NIL will have an effect on High School football as well. I don’t think pre NIL the starting QB for Southlake would’ve SKIPPED HIS SENIOR YEAR of football after going to the state championship the year before. Maybe I’m just naive. 

This was just an affect I didn’t really anticipate. Thinking about the team…..these kids probably grew up together and played sports together. Now they’re in their senior year, what they’ve been working for and are one of the favorites to win state. But because of NIL, Their best player isn’t going to be there. Kind of sucks for the seniors. Probably a good thing for the #2 QB. 

HS coaches that have top prospects are going to have to start to realize they may not be able to have them their senior year. That’s all. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Hey I hear you….

Those were one offs….just seems like this will become more common now. So the trickle down of NIL will have an effect on High School football as well. I don’t think pre NIL the starting QB for Southlake would’ve SKIPPED HIS SENIOR YEAR of football after going to the state championship the year before. Maybe I’m just naive. 

This was just an affect I didn’t really anticipate. Thinking about the team…..these kids probably grew up together and played sports together. Now they’re in their senior year, what they’ve been working for and are one of the favorites to win state. But because of NIL, Their best player isn’t going to be there. Kind of sucks for the seniors. Probably a good thing for the #2 QB. 

HS coaches that have top prospects are going to have to start to realize they may not be able to have them their senior year. That’s all. 

Sure I could definitely see it happening more but again, graduating high school in 3 years takes about 5 years of planning down the road. We have a thread on Ewers in the recruiting forum from 2016, because Littrell offered before he even coached a game here. We offered him the summer after he finished 7th grade.

The wheels have been in motion on getting him graduated early and prepping him as best as possible to be a college QB since before he was even in high school. The level of planning it took outside of his control (parents) is something that very few top prospects are going to have.

So yes it likely will happen more than before but graduating a year early to start making endorsement money is only an option for kids who loaded up on high school courses starting in middle school and every summer after they finish middle school. That pre-requisite alone is going to prevent most high school recruits from this even being an option.

• 1 month later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32120440/ohio-state-buckeyes-qb-quinn-ewers-nil-deal-14-million-source-says%3fplatform=amp

I don’t remember what I made working at Foot Action in the Golden Triangle Mall when I was a college student…..I don’t think it was $1.4 million 

Edited by TheColonyEagle