North Texas and Houston, the series and some history

ADLER

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

It was the only football field I’ve ever seen in which the playing surface was equidistant to the concrete stands.  You could rotate the field 90 degrees and it would still fit length wise between the stands. Think about that.

If that wasn’t bizarre enough,...the front row seat at the 50 yard line was 33 1/2 Yards from the nearest point to the sideline.  Further,...the front row seats and several rows behind were below or level with the backs of the players and staff standing on the sidelines blocking the view point of anyone sitting in the lower rows of the stands, making it absolutely impossible to sell those seats to donors..  The result of this can be seen in the famous aerial view of the 2001 Baylor game in which you can see how many people moved back and up to the 7th thru 9th rows to see over the players.  

And the reason this occurred was as Adler stated earlier, the designers blew it planning the thing out.  They started the crown of the surface in front of the seats instead of going out level from the seats,...THEN  placing the typical crown you see on outdoor football fields where the playing surface starts.  

You couldn’t intentionally create a MORE LOUSY venue to watch a football or soccer game than Fouts Field.

Rick

So very Old Denton...

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

The WPA ceased to exist after June 30th 1943.  Fouts (Eagle Stadium) started construction in 1951 and opened in 1952.

I stand corrected on that one and will try to get the resource material revised. I too thought the WPA was dissolved by then, but didn't question the source. North Texas financed the stadium itself The Man Behind Fouts Field

Please also notice some of the 'master plan' illustrations in the article photos.

47 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I stand corrected on that one and will try to get the resource material revised. I too thought the WPA was dissolved by then, but didn't question the source. North Texas financed the stadium itself The Man Behind Fouts Field

Please also notice some of the 'master plan' illustrations in the article photos.

Well, to be fair to everyone, Fouts does look like it was built by the WPA. Although even the WPA's  projects ended up looking much better than Fouts. The Tomato Bowl in Jacksonville Texas is one example.

• Upvote 1