Fan Forum Venue for Negativity

Guest Chief

I'm truly fed up with the constant negativity and compaints I read on this board. This forum should be about positive re-enforcement concerning the proud football program North Texas is trying to establish. For every decent article I read, there are ten or twelve who whine about the coaching staff or talk about the "Ballers at Ball State". This is not a personal chat room for your whims and personal life opinions. This board should promote the positive atributes of Mean Green football, and should be used as such.

North Texas, at 1-1, is having a very good start to a season in defense of the Sun Belt Conference championship. A very strong defensive unit and a talented offense with alot of potential are going to send us back to the Big Easy. The Mean Green gave an outstanding performance defensively against # 3 ranked Texas. Versus Nicholls St., A shout out is a shout out, no matter who you play.

I think last year's Sun Belt Coach of the Year is doing a great job so far. I know he has what it takes to get UNT back to a bowl game - I'd love to hear how long it's been since North Texas visited bowl games in two consecutive years!

Support this program - think postively.

Go Mean Green.

Chief, I don't think the purpose of this board was for "positive re-enforcement concerning the proud football program North Texas is trying to establish." People use this board as an Anger Management Tool. After watching DD's play calling, fans go to this board and vent to their "support group" who truly understand their pain. This is a very healthy and natural process to dealing with anger. You have to admit it is better than taking the anger out on your loved ones.

WHAT IS NEGATIVE vs WHAT IS CONSTRUCTIVE:

If my sales manager comes into our next sales meeting and tells us, "Fellas, your sales are way down and you need to to something about it now before it affects our company and (perhaps) even affects you later on as well;" would anyone out there in Mean Green Land think that is being negative?

I think me personally expressing a concern of having only 12,800 fans at our 2002 home opener at Fouts was not being negative at all (if some out there think it was). Its just the lowest home opening crowd that I can ever remember witnessing since 1973 and I am concerned as hell as to why this is happening at our alma mater in the year 2002.

Rick V has a good plan (IMHO) and he has raised the bar, but (among his paid troops) just who is getting out among the masses to help him carry out that plan is a major question that many of us now have.

Something is just not jive-ing' on this attendance thing at UNT expecially in light of our record setting growth on campus, Denton (County's) growth and our Metroplex North Texas Exes expanding group of 100K plus. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. NOTE: Some on this board are now gravitating back to this UNT being a "commuter school" tommyrot, but hellsbells, all of our dorms are full and ALL the apartments within blocks of our campus are also full so I don't buy into that "commuter school" crapola and haven't your years for what its worth. (Some have said we have anywhere from 17K to 20K who now live on or near our campus).

After having spoken to others, I know for fact I am not alone with that concern. Hell, any UNT alum who was at Fouts last weekend would have to have the same concern. Its the big picture of all this that many of us are looking at and not just the attendance at one home opening game last weekend that is our biggest concern. I thought this program (attendance-wise) had grown above having such a crowd as we had last Saturday evening, in light of the fact that most would surely know by now that home attendance averages will soon determine if we get to continue to play the UT's, the Baylors, the Texas Techs, the OU's, etc, etc, etc.

15K per game as of the Fall of 2003 will become an NCAA requirement to stay in D1-A and its just that this year (IMHO) would have been a good "dress rehearsal" for us at UNT to see how we were coming along with the criteria we MUST meet next season and last Saturday at Fouts was just not what too many of us would call a very good beginning.

This is curious.

Lastnight I was watching Free Speech Television on Dish Network. I wanted to see what the 'free thinkers -- truly liberal and correct' people had to say about September 11th.

I truly truly truly want to understand the otherside. I really do. I am FAR from being Republican. I want to see both sides.

Anyhow, all I got for the two hours I watched was the patriotism is bad.

Patriotism isn't bad. They are misusing the word. They mean blind faith, or cattle vision, not patriotism. Just because I say I love this country, doesn't mean I can't say in the next breath that I disagree with what happens sometimes. I got in a semi argument last Saturday night with a friend about 9/11. He said flying flags and bandwagon patriots are lame. They are as bad as the idiots who fly the planes into the buildings. He said we should think for ourselves and not hide behind a flag. We should realize what our country does...

How is saying you are happy with your country and your life implying that you agree with everything that goes down? I love that I can question the powers that be, question their authority, question what PLAYS THEY ARE CALLING.

This goes with bombing Iraq or bombing against NSU. I love that I can question and voice my opinion.

Go Mean Green. UNT Patriot.

Up to this point there was one small but valid excuse. We just don't have the depth. Well that is CRAP now. We have the depth and there should be no excuse for not putting up 50 points on Nichols State.

I think you hit the nail on the head right there UNT96. Up until last year, I think even I would have a hard time opening up the passing game. Dropped balls were the norm. But we KNOW we can at least have an average passing game and up untill now it has been non-existant. And don't look for the Alabama game to be different. I think the first real test for this should be TCU.

GMG!

PASS THE BALL!!!

Chief,

First of all. were you AT the game Saturday? Not to mean as an insult but if you are a fan and you were there then you would have serious concerns about the team as well. Our record is 0-1, wins against IAA teams do not count towards ANYTHING anymore, not even once every four years like they used to. And against that IAA team we had a lackluster performance against a bad IAA team picked to come in 7th place in the Southland Football League. I think my old High School could come in 7th in the SLC.

The frustrations are NOT about this year. They are about 5 years straight of broken promises concerning the offense. For five years straight I have heard that the offense would be opened up. I have hear, "We want to establish a running game to open the passing game." The only problem is that even in the games where we establish the running game (like last week), we don't open the passing game.

We are paying someone 157K a year to tell a QB that all that he trusts his offense to do is clog up the middle and hope for 3 yards a gain with the occasional break out run. I could do that and I would do it for free. He also gives our QB NO discretion when it comes to audibles. This is the sign of an ego maniac and you would think with a 13-39 record that a perosn liek this would be humbled a bit. Take away the IAA games that he has won and that record is even worse.

DD has lied to us year in and year out about this offense that we would be seeing more of a balanced attack. On paper it sometimes looks that way, but you have to go to the games to see that it is not. To run 30 times in a row and then pass the next 20 in a row because you are so behind that you are throwing the ball out of desperation, it makes the stats look like a semi-balanced attack. But it is not. A balanced attack is running the ball when it is smart (to get the two yards you need for a first down) and passing the ball when it is smart (to get the 7 yards you need for a first down).

Up to this point there was one small but valid excuse. We just didn't have the depth. Well that is CRAP now. We have the depth and there should be no excuse for not putting up 50 points on Nichols State. If Cal (a piece of crap football school) can hang 70 on Baylor(a IA School) and K-State can hang 68 on ULM (a IA School), than surely we can put more than 10 points a half on Nichols State.

Without our defense we might have lost that game. Try to challenge that statement, because we were one iterception away from that game being 10-7 at the half and who knows what would have happened from there out.

You wanted football talk, you wanted the truth? I don't think you really want it. To be honest, this board has been rather respectful this week all things considered. It has been much worse before.

And I apologize for a few of us bringing our friendship and the 9/11 memorial onto "YOUR" UNT sports only board. If you don't like it then take a hike, there is a another fan right behind you ready to take your place, because you are a mean person! EDITED AT MODERATOR's REQUEST (is that a personal attack? Not as much as "Chief" attacked this entire board... I guess there are no rules against PUBLIC attacks against the masses, only personal jabs).

That rule was created to get rid of "comma man" and such, not fight back to defend ourselves for expressing concern in an inept 5th year coach that has lost 4 games to every game he has won and those were in the two worst IA conferences in the country.

Hmmm, I read UNT96's post and liked it. I wonder how many others did? But now it seems to have dissapeared.

Censorship at it's finest. God Bless the USA.

Seriously, I agree. The best programs in the nation stay the best because they know the fans won't accept anything else.

Come to the games, support the team and let the coach have it on Monday if you don't like the result. Just remember to come back next Saturday.

Seeya,

Shane

So he can peronally attack the entire board as long as he doesn't mke a reference to a curse word?  Come on Lowe.  I will edit it and take it out but please don't erase a post I spent the time to type out because of one word.

He didn't post a personal attack, he explained why he though alot of posters on here where too negative. If you disagreed with him, you should have explained why you though he was too positive.

You should not have called him an a$$hole.

I don't ask anyone on here to agree with me, I do ask that everyone treat each other with at least a modicum of civlity.

As one who has been reduced to foul language by a lack of vocabulary on more than one occasion I agree UNT96 you can find much more creative use of words, I know I've seen you, besides I like the no personal attack policy, I need the protection! One should always be able to attack the ideas of nincompoops without being truthful about their reasoning ability. Kidding aside there is a line there, and I like to see it maintained.

Let me add to Cerebus' comments. GMG.com is not a democracy and if you are looking for a free speech beacon or shrine then get then you probably ought to get the hell out of here. We will do what we believe to be in the best interests of this Site which is a Fan Site that serves the Supporters and Fans of the University of North Texas Athletic Programs. We are not censors but we will censor posts that do not meet our Site's global mission and purpose. If you don't like that, then please leave. We do believe in the right to choose and you can choose not to visit this site if you don't like how it is run.

Also, I would encourage you to take it easy on Cerebus. He does a great job and gives a lot of his time to this project, basically as a volunteer. When you come after him, you are coming after me. He does a great job on this Site and is as die-hard a fan as I have ever come across...

Finally, I want to thank the loyal fans of GMG.com who have provided us our latest accomplishment. In the month of August we had 3.7 million page views which is an all-time record! We appreciate your continuing support GMG.com.

HM