DRC: Follow-up thoughts on UNT's depth chart

Brett Vito

On 4/11/2018 at 2:57 PM, Aldo said:

iirc we had more success with the zone read than with the inverted veer against UTSA

For the life of me, I can't believe we didn't let Fine pull it more often... several times I think he doesn't stop until he bangs his head on the goal post.  Hopefully we add that wrinkle this year. 

• Lovely Take 1

On 4/9/2018 at 10:38 AM, UNTLifer said:

Nice article, but I disagree with:

The only way Shanbour plays is if Mason Fine has gotten hurt, at which point UNT would be in big trouble.

We would obviously see a drop in production, but I don't think we would be in "big" trouble.  We have more depth and ability at QB than I can ever remember.

If we don't see any improvement in our defense that underlined statement will always be true. Early on the only game where we were ahead enough to give Shanbour some actual game experience was the Lamar game. But by the time they put Shanbour in, we were way ahead and Shanbour was told to just hand the ball off.  He then went in vs Iowa and proved that we were not "in big trouble" when he was in there. And then there was the overthrow on the fake field goal at the end of the season......a QB with little or no game time, throwing to a TE with little game time.  Would it have been different if he had had someone like Bussy (or some other big play receiver) to throw to in that situation? Maybe, but we'll never know. 

All I know is that in his first appearance vs Iowa he had the most experienced WR's to throw to. In the second situation, even if the pass had been completed, it still could have been dropped after he got hit and/or he probably would have been brought down quickly. At any rate, Vito always chooses to take the most negative view of Shanbour that he can. 

And as to the rest. IMHO, Pearson didn't look as sharp this spring as he did last spring.  And Martin needs a lot of work. I don't know how our other freshman QB will look this fall, but he'll just have to get in line and show what he can do. And meanwhile, (like Pearson and Martin), Shanbour will probably be his mentor. I was hoping that Hardin (#11 from Irving) would get some reps, but that didn't happen. 

• Upvote 2