Best Play of the Year

Guest e-bone

I couldn't believe my eyes when ShoJo took it all the way, and I could barely suppress my rage when a charging foul was called on him. When that foul was called the SuperPit got louder than I can remember ever hearing it.

Anyways, if someone knows how to get a video clip of that play I would be extremely grateful.

The ref that called that foul pretty much swallowed the whistle asfter that call. He only made calls he knew were legit after betting boo'd the way he did. However, I think it was a good thing he did. Sure did fire up the crowd after that.

Speaking of the refs ... They tell our bench to sit down but not the uno coach to get off the court? blink.gif

Speaking of the refs ...  They tell our bench to sit down but not the uno coach to get off the court? blink.gif

That UNO coach knew what he was doing... and he knew he was pushing our buttons... Cody said he was really weird, too... tongue.gif

Plus, he was my height, and looked like he was wearing a borrowed cheap suit... Funny little man... laugh.gif

I was right inside the key during that play and there was NO charge at all. That is the only time I think I have seen Johny Jones mad. He was about to hit the ref it looked like. I got a decent pic of him eying the ref down and one of the assistants trying to pull him back. That loss was soooo frustarting. I havn't been that frustrated about a loss since the stars 4 overtime loss to the Ducks in the playoffs.

I wasn't there so I obviously can't say if it was right or wrong but I've noticed the SB refs have called lots of charges this year. Our guard, BO McCalleb is so quick that he gets called for charging quite often.

As to complaints about Monte and working the refs, I can't agree in total. Don't know about last night. I did hear our radio announcer say after the Johnson charge that Johnny went all the way to the FT line to complain, then turned on another ref and was about to get a T but he didn't so I guess he worked them too.

We have to face it, in this league, we won't have decent refs, esp on Sat nights.

Your team is much improved over the last 2 years and you have a good coach. You've won some BIG games on the road and like us, lost at home. This will be a strange year in the belt. Good luck except on 2/26.

I did hear our radio announcer say after the Johnson charge that Johnny went all the way to the FT line to complain, then turned on another ref and was about to get a T but he didn't so I guess he worked them too.

That was one of the very few times that I have seen JJ do something like that, so that might tell you how bogus the call was. Normally JJ is just squating in front of the bench. The UNO coach however was often on the floor while the ball was on his side of the court. I have to say that he seemed like a weasel and I really hate coaches like him.

Isn't instant replay grand? ph34r.gif I believe the refs all saw the (blown) call, and rather then cause more problems, decided not to T up Johnny. There might have been a riot if he had gotten a tech.

That is perhaps the quickest I have ever seen a crowd get into a game.

That is the only time I think I have seen Johny Jones mad. He was about to hit the ref it looked like. I got a decent pic of him eying the ref down and one of the assistants trying to pull him back.

JJ threw off his coat quicker than anything I had ever seen. He had every reason to be ticked, that call was crap and everyone knew it, even the UNO players. I would really like to see that pic with the look in coach's eye!

looked like he was wearing a borrowed cheap suit

You missed the worst part. A couple of years ago he wore that same cheap suit with a cheap New Orleans T-SHIRT underneath it. Coach Jones made him look like a homeless schmuck, needless to say. It was like having the best and worst dressed coaches in America on opposite ends.

Edited by KPFC Sports Dept.

I'm really not sure what a coach wears to a game matters. Do you go to a funeral and pay attention to what the corpse is wearing?

A coach is judged by wins and losses, how his kids behave, graduate and then play. Monte's done a decent job here with what he's had and what was left from the former system. I've gotten to know him from going to coaches shows and I can tell you that he's not a "weasel", a "homeless schmuck" or any of the other things mentioned. He's an experienced coach who's won more than he's lost.

I've also watched him coach....I've watched Tim Floyd coach as well as Tic Price. He's as good an x and o's guy as has ever been here.

I'm not disputing the call or how bad the refs were. I've seen it firsthand for years at Lakefront how bad SB refs are. (you should have been to our game against WKU last week). Maybe the fact that Monte has had success against NT is the problem. I respect NT, Coach Jones and the players. It seems to be a classy university with a classy coaching staff. Until proven otherwise, I don't plan on resorting to put downs of your coach and I'd like to think most of you would do the same. You'll have your chance to pay us back in a few weeks.

I've gotten to know him from going to coaches shows and I can tell you that he's not a "weasel", a "homeless schmuck" or any of the other things mentioned.

I don't think he is a homeless schmuck, when I am coaching I would love to have the job and salary he has. But the way he used to dress with a T-SHIRT under a bad suit looked like a homeless schmuck compared to the way Coach Jones appears impeccably dressed.

I would think that appearance is important when representing a university, and I would also hope you are very thankful he dropped the whole t-shirt thing. It looked very cheap and did not represent the UNO basketball and athletic program well.

Actually, many of us have asked him to go back to the tshirt/jacket combo. Majerus wears sweaters.. So what?

As to the comment, "It's not what he wears or how many kids he graduates, it is his behavior on the court(yes, he is on the court, not on the sideline."

How many games have you been to were BOTH coaches stayed in their box? Until the refs tee em up, they're ALL gonna do it.

"I don't think he is a homeless schmuck, when I am coaching I would love to have the job and salary he has. But the way he used to dress with a T-SHIRT under a bad suit looked like a homeless schmuck compared to the way Coach Jones appears impeccably dressed."

Again, what dif does it make what he's wearing? How many football coaches wear suits? Why wear a suit to get all sweaty and dirty? It's a game, not an interview. As for the salary he has, Monte is likely one of the lowest paid coaches in the league. UNO's athletic budget is extremely small. Yea, he probably makes more than you and me but compared to his peers (and their success), he's underpaid.

How many games have you been to were BOTH coaches stayed in their box?  Until the refs tee em up, they're ALL gonna do it.

Maybe he acts differently at UNO, but last night, he was on the court *at least* 80% of the game. Why the refs allowed it, I don't know. But it was very frustrating for the fans because he was not only not supposed to be there, but he partly blocked our line of sight. It came off as being very unprofessional.

And in reference to what he was wearing, you have to realize that when he is at home at UNO, or away at other universities, he is representing *your* university, and he should try and make the best impression possible for it, and it's athletic dept. Just my opinion.

I'm starting to think it is not aganist the rules to be on the court, this has been going on for a number of games now with the visiting team. Last night was rediculous though. I recal at one point the Coach was about 6 inches away from one of our players recieving a pass and the idiot just stood there. I'm sure you guys noticed it too. So what gives wit the refs never calling this if it is illegal?

Again, what dif does it make what he's wearing? 

I will answer that with the quote you replied to. rolleyes.gif

I would think that appearance is important when representing a university

How many football coaches wear suits?

How many football players play indoors in an intimate setting wearing shorts and jerseys. You are talking about two different things there.

Why wear a suit to get all sweaty and dirty?

He does wear a suit. blink.gif

Thankfully he ditched the cheap t-shirt under it. That was tacky no matter how much you like the guy.

Listen, at the game here last night, Towe was red faced screaming on the court and in the refs faces the whole game. Do you expect us to like him? Would you appreciate that if Coach Jones behaved like that in your arena? He won't, he is much calmer and under control than that, but Towe clearly is not and had it on full display last night.

"Would you appreciate that if Coach Jones behaved like that in your arena? He won't, he is much calmer and under control than that, but Towe clearly is not and had it on full display last night. "

I'll tell you what....I'll get back to you after our next game. I've seen EVERY NT game in Lakefront arena since you've joined the belt, I'll be at this one too and let you know how Jones acted. I'm willing to bet you right here and now that he not only walks on the court (as he did last night at the ft line) but he also stays OUT of his coaching box ( a box that NO coach honors, right or wrong).

Listen, Johnny's a very good coach, but he's no better or worse than the other 10 in the SB. ANd, he's no saint. Go to a few more home games in the PIT and I BET you you'll be complaining about 2 things.....the sB refs and the opposing coach.

Seen Jessie Evans lately?

How many football coaches wear suits?

Tom Landry did for years, and that's about the best example of class you could ever come up with.

As for the salary he has, Monte is likely one of the lowest paid coaches in the league. UNO's athletic budget is extremely small. Yea, he probably makes more than you and me but compared to his peers (and their success), he's underpaid.

Probably makes more than me, and I would be fired if I showed up to work looking and acting like that. Maybe he's just trying to be a Bobby Knight starter kit.

Go to a few more home games in the PIT and I BET you you'll be complaining about 2 things.....the sB refs and the opposing coach

Towe is the only coach I have heard our fans complain about other than the classless coach at UALR that directed profanities at the fans. Now we all know the SBC refs suck, so we will all always complain about them.

Edited by UNTLifer

I think JJ was trying to get a "T" last night after that horrible call to inspire the team. He stomped onto the floor after one official who didn't make the call, then he took off his suit coat and flung it into the bench ala Bill Blakely style. He got the crowd into the game and then he gave the official who made the call the evil eye. It was great. cool.gif

"Would you appreciate that if Coach Jones behaved like that in your arena? He won't, he is much calmer and under control than that, but Towe clearly is not and had it on full display last night. "

I'll tell you what....I'll get back to you after our next game.  I've seen EVERY NT game in Lakefront arena since you've joined the belt, I'll be at this one too and let you know how Jones acted.  I'm willing to bet you right here and now that he not only walks on the court (as he did last night at the ft line) but he also stays OUT of his coaching box ( a box that NO coach honors, right or wrong).

Listen, Johnny's a very good coach, but he's no better or worse than the other 10 in the SB.  ANd, he's no saint.  Go to a few more home games in the PIT and I BET you you'll be complaining about 2 things.....the sB refs and the opposing coach.

Seen Jessie Evans lately?

Coach Jones was on the floor arguing with the refs over an obviously bad call during a time out. The UNO coach was on the court almost continuously during the game for no obvious reason other than to just badger and intimidate the refs and to get in the way of UNT players, which I seriously think he was trying to do.

Go to a few more home games in the PIT and I BET you you'll be complaining about 2 things.....the sB refs and the opposing coach.

Go to home games at the Pit...great idea! I will try that sometime.

And Lifer is right, the only coach I have come away with unimpressed is Towe. If you don't like that fact, you should have seen how he was acting and seen it without your blue sunglasses on. To be honest, I can't even remember any other coaches specifically because I watch the action more, if that tells you the spectacle he made of himself.

Please take your Towe is great crusade somewhere else.

Edited by IronMan4

Back to the bad call.

I watched the KNTU-TV replay on channel 22 last night. The tall white guy from UNO was standing directly under the basket with his hands up. The ball was in the basket before any contact was made. Charging would have been the correct call if the play had occurred in the open court. But, you can't just get in the way with no chance to defend the play and expect to get a charging call from competent officials. At practice I saw JJ talk with the team about just that situation and telling them they would not get the call.

An even worse call , in my opinion, was when the tall #4 with the corn rows lowered his shoulders and jumped into DeGrate, who had clearly established his position and was standing still with both hands in the air. A blocking foul was called on DeGrate. This call really hurt NT. It contributed to DeGrate fouling out, and a proper call would have been the 4th on #4. That guy seemed to be their best inside defender and was a thorn in NT's inside game all night long.