New Mean Green fan here

Rubicon

31 minutes ago, Rubicon said:

I've been lurking here for about a year, and following North Texas sports. My son is a senior in high school, and would love to go to UNT, but it will depend on scholarships. He has full tuition at ASU, UofA, and NAU already (we live in Arizona), and we will be applying to BYU in October (he'll get in, but BYU's scholarships are really competitive. They have 36 incoming freshmen with perfect ACTs). Really, it will come down to who gives us the best offer. But we were all *very* impressed with UNT --- especially its "feel" ---, and Denton. We also have some family in Allen. 

It was interesting. UNT recruited some local high school juniors in the Phoenix area last year, which was surprising to us. The dean of admissions said that UNT was looking to increase its enrollment from Arizona and Las Vegas because President Smatresk is from Phoenix and was the president of UNLV (she also said that UNT is also trying to increase enrollment from Oklahoma). We're hoping that this translates into generous out-of-state tuition scholarship offers . . . 

This led to us beginning to follow UNT athletics starting last year, and C-USA as well. We kind of root for the underdog, anyway, in general, but either way, North Texas is on our radar now. Wish they would get a baseball team, though. Why don't they have one? Title 9 balance with women's sports?

It's nice to have another team to follow! Here's hoping we can beat SMU next week!

Welcome. UNT is a very good and very underrated university. Its athletic programs are trying to catch up. 

Yes, Title 9 has made standing a baseball program up difficult. Some will say the funding there isn't applicable yet. The new AD, Wren Baker, has stated he wants to revamp the standing programs on and off the field/court before he dives into making this happen. It is on his radar though, how big of a blip I'm not really sure. 

I'm not going to overly suggest your son to come here, but it'd be worthwhile to dig deeper as a viable option. GMG 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Welcome. UNT is a very good and very underrated university. Its athletic programs are trying to catch up. 

Yes, Title 9 has made standing a baseball program up difficult. Some will say the funding there isn't applicable yet. The new AD, Wren Baker, has stated he wants to revamp the standing programs on and off the field/court before he dives into making this happen. It is on his radar though, how big of a blip I'm not really sure. 

I'm not going to overly suggest your son to come here, but it'd be worthwhile to dig deeper as a viable option. GMG 

Baseball I'm told should be here in 4 years, but the goal is to have it here in 3.. No idea if 3 years includes the year that just started, or if its 3 additional to the one that was started... But its in the works and seriously being looked into... 

Hello there! Glad to see people from out-of-state looking into UNT. While it's difficult to get a full ride academically at UNT (as far as I can tell), they are still good with their scholarships. According to this, depending on high school rank and test scores, he could get as much as $8k per year for four years. That should cover all but maybe $3k per year in tuition (again, year, not semester). The scholarship would also qualify him for in-state tuition rates (source here). Room and board would be on top of that. They have a handy calculator for how much you could get. Depending on your financial situation, you may also be eligible for some grants that I didn't even know about until after I got my financial aid letter, or even the Emerald Eagle Scholar program.

Like @Ben Gooding said, UNT is very underrated, mainly because UNT was terrible at bragging about itself for more than just music. However, as a Computer Science major, I feel like I got a great education. Good luck!!

Edited by dmaxel
grammar
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1