Mean Green Open 2017 Camp

MGNation92

10 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

The problem is high school kids (recruits) don't know who he is, and really don't care. We are dealing with kids who were born in 2000 for crying out loud.

He should still be utilized in the recruiting pitch.  Teach those kids about our history.  By the rationale above, why in the world would we work to construct a Joe Greene statue or induct people in to the HOF?

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

He should still be utilized in the recruiting pitch.  Teach those kids about our history.  By the rationale above, why in the world would we work to construct a Joe Greene statue or induct people in to the HOF?

Really?  Joe Greene. 
Are we trying to compare ANYONE ELSE IN NORTH TEXAS' HISTORY to Joe Greene?  Everyone knows who Joe Greene is because he's a legend of the game, period.

UNT's HOF is watered down, I don't think there is much argument there, but that's still for accomplishments wearing a Mean Green uniform... not for recruiting.

I'm just trying to say, it's not worth talking to RECRUITS (current players, sure!) about anyone they won't know (like Kassell or Spencer).  

Do you know who Byron Santiago is?   I didn't either, I had to look him up for the below example: 

Your scenario is like LA Tech talking up Terry Bradshaw in the same breath as Byron Santiago (some dude who was all-conference in the WAC in 2004, and got on a NFL squad as a UDFA)... no 17-18 yr-old is going to know who that is... but of course they're going to know Bradshaw!

That is why you put their picture up, both North Texas and NFL, to educate the kids about who has walked through our doors.  I gave a talk recently and quoted Roger Staubach.  A bunch of the 20 somethings looked at me like he was just another person.  I assumed they would surely know who that was...wrong.  So you educate them.