Numbers not Elkhart product Jeffrey Wilson's concert in senior season at North Texas

Harry

DENTON - In 2016, Jeffery Wilson had another great season at running back for North Texas, finishing just short of 1,000 yards with 936 yards rushing and 14 touchdowns.

The Elkhart product is now 10 yards away from reaching 2,000 for his career and if things go well in his senior season with the Mean Green, he could leave Denton as the No. 5 rusher in school history.

But don’t talk to him about numbers, at least not his own, because he’s not really interested.

“At the end of the day, numbers are going to be numbers; I don’t really get too involved in it because that can send you down a selfish route,” Wilson said during UNT spring practice. “My dad taught me to never be selfish and always humble myself, so numbers don’t really matter to me. It’s good I guess (to have the numbers I do), but hey, I’m just here to win games.”

Last season, Wilson had two of his best performances against Army, running for 166 yards and three scores during an October win at Michie Stadium. And when the Mean Green faced the Black Knights a second time in the Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl in late December, he had 127 all-purpose yards with two touchdowns in an overtime loss.

In addition to his strong rushing numbers, Wilson also set a new career high in 2016 with 29 receptions for 247 yards. The offense of second-year UNT head coach Seth Littrell emphasizes running backs catching the ball out of the backfield, so Wilson welcomes the chance to further hone those skills in 2017.

“We already knew with the offense coming in that we would have to deal with catching the ball more out of the backfield,” Wilson said. “Catching the ball has never really been a problem. I always loved catching the ball, so adding it in and putting it into the offense I feel was a great asset.”

read more: 

http://www.etfinalscore.com/ET-Football/274615/numbers-not-elkhart-product-jeffrey-wilsons-concert-in-senior-season-at-north-texas

Love these articles on our East Texas young men and the publicity to that area of the state.  These are the kinds of stories I wish Vito would do for the DRC and someone would put up on MeanGreenSports.com.

Going to miss Wilson after this season.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

As will we all but I have a feeling Nic Smith will help ease the pain...

I don't want to jinx anything, but I remember saying how I would miss Wilburn and Galbreath showed up.  Then I thought I would miss KG and Cobbs arrived.  I worried when Cobbs got hurt and Jamario Thomas showed up, then Dunbar and now Wilson.  We have really been blessed with great RB's since the late 90's.

• Upvote 1