An idea on how to win over the DFW high school coaches

Harry

I know that Wren stated he hadn't turned down any recruiting fund request since arriving, BUT -- what if we could do more?

My thought is have some type of DFW coaching clinic and invite all of the top program staffs to come and spend a day of continuing education, tour facilities and have an evening out on the town in Denton square?

Seems to me this would be a great way to showcase the facilities and academic growth that I suspect many of these coaches are not aware of.

Problem is it would cost some money for sure.  To me it would be money well spent.  We need to help these coaches overcome the perception that has been created over many years. 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know that Wren stated he hadn't turned down any recruiting fund request since arriving, BUT -- what if we could do more?

My thought is have some type of DFW coaching clinic and invite all of the top program staffs to come and spend a day of continuing education, tour facilities and have an evening out on the town in Denton square?

Seems to me this would be a great way to showcase the facilities and academic growth that I suspect many of these coaches are not aware of.

Problem is it would cost some money for sure.  To me it would be money well spent.  We need to help these coaches overcome the perception that has been created over many years. 

Great ideas, but I would also extend the offers to all schools(which I'm assuming you would eventually do.)

Could even do something that during the summer, when we do the Summer Camps and invite certain districts or something for them to train with the staff. Along the long of the tours of the campus and denton, the staff should be showing off to the coaches and players the Frisco campus, and the partnership with the cowboys. Heck talk to Jerry Jones, and see if he could be willing to use The Star for a 7 on 7 State championship with all of the UNT stuff there, and then bus them up to denton as well for them to tour the campus and that with different players from those areas.

Also, something else that needs to be done, that would/could be something that works is just doing a Virtual Tour of campus. Even have the football players(currently on the team) talk about this and that, how UNT has changed in their time and even have Orr/Dunbar/ etc included talking about the evolution of the entire campus and Mean Joe as well. I'm not sure how often HS coaches get to visit the campus, but just them seeing a video and how the campus looks could spark interest in them coming to see UNT.

Something else that could help offset the costs, is finding a way to offer up something like some type of certification(not sure if coaches need any), but do it in something like concussion protocol or something that the districts would be more willing to foot the bill or some of it as well.

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think they did something like this last year (but not the part about the square).

I think @GMG24 went to the event I'm thinking of...

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

I think they did something like this last year (but not the part about the square).

I think @GMG24 went to the event I'm thinking of...

Correct.  It was a phenomenal event.  Probably between 150-200 coaches present.  We spent the entire time in the Club level and it was really fun.  There was more interaction at our event than any other event held according the a few coaches there.  I haven't been to any others so I can't provide feedback.  To give an idea every school does this locally.  Here is the upcoming schedule and who is presenting.  For anyone thinking about sliding in they usually check your THSCA coaches credential at the door.  :) 

C2IuJpIUQAAapPy.jpg:large

Edited by GMG24

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Correct.  It was a phenomenal event.  Probably between 150-200 coaches present.  We spent the entire time in the Club level and it was really fun.  There was more interaction at our event than any other event held according the a few coaches there.  I haven't been to any others so I can't provide feedback.  To give an idea every school does this locally.  Here is the upcoming schedule and who is presenting.  For anyone thinking about sliding in they usually check your THSCA coaches credential at the door.  :) 

C2IuJpIUQAAapPy.jpg:large

I wonder if there'll be more interest about Reffett's 3-3-5 defense than Littrell/Harrell's offense from these area coaches?  Trying to find new/effective/out-of-the-box strategies...  I would think you might find more there than additional spread offense strategies.

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I wonder if there'll be more interest about Reffett's 3-3-5 defense than Littrell/Harrell's offense from these area coaches?  Trying to find new/effective/out-of-the-box strategies...  I would think you might find more there than additional spread offense strategies.

Yeah to be honest we spent last 20-40 minutes on defense talking about combos of 3-3-5 and 3-4 it was pretty intriguing 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just wondering ... Being the first on-campus event - good or would it be better to go last?

I'm planning to attend each event this year. To compare

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Take a note to follow up here please.   We'd love to hear your thoughts... well, at least I would.

Can't make the one tonight in Birdville, got house closing shenanigans to tend to.  Will be making it to SMU and TCU hopefully.  Only problem with TCU is getting their in time.