'18 DT Jaylon Hutchings (Forney HS)

GMG24

• 4 months later...
On 2/7/2017 at 8:49 AM, GMG24 said:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4480336/jaylon-hutchings

http://247sports.com/Player/Jaylon-Hutchings-88274

Currently holds SMU and UNT and is not ranked on 247 as of now 

So I just want to make sure I'm getting this straight.  In TX one of the greatest states for HS football a 6'1" 270 lb DL goes from unranked and two offers on February 7th to adding Rice, New Mexico, Ark state, Kansas st, Sfa, Tech, HBU.  In a matter of 4 months and people still think this staff can't go out late find similar talent, but now instead of schools jumping in later it's 1 week before signing day and they can't.  I'm not saying you build a class like that but it's possible to add 4-5 kids a class IMO like a hambone type kid.  West tx-El Paso not many people beating down doors.  Sure may offer kids there but not spending $$ there. Anyway I'm just posting this because I think it goes to show again we can identify D1 talent.  If we can do that early (and the kid goes somewhere else) why can't they do the same late? Yes I know most every other school will have evaluated etc etc. I'm just posing the question IF they evaluate a kid and he's good enough to play late why not trust them?

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

So I just want to make sure I'm getting this straight.  In TX one of the greatest states for HS football a 6'1" 270 lb DL goes from unranked and two offers on February 7th to adding Rice, New Mexico, Ark state, Kansas st, Sfa, Tech, HBU.  In a matter of 4 months and people still think this staff can't go out late find similar talent, but now instead of schools jumping in later it's 1 week before signing day and they can't.  I'm not saying you build a class like that but it's possible to add 4-5 kids a class IMO like a hambone type kid.  West tx-El Paso not many people beating down doors.  Sure may offer kids there but not spending $$ there. Anyway I'm just posting this because I think it goes to show again we can identify D1 talent.  If we can do that early (and the kid goes somewhere else) why can't they do the same late? Yes I know most every other school will have evaluated etc etc. I'm just posing the question IF they evaluate a kid and he's good enough to play late why not trust them?

I think you're talking about folks who are concerned when guys have only FCS/UNT offers late and commit to UNT, right?
Your scenario above is what netted Greg White, Jaelon Darden, and Tre Siggers.   Most of us here were pretty excited when all 3 of those guys fell in our laps, even though they didn't have many offers (well, they DID have P5/G5 offers, but, like you were saying in a different thread, they dried up).  

It's hard to tell this early in the recruiting cycle.   UNT generally, feasts on those guys who fall through the cracks late.  This did not start under Littrell's tenure.

• Upvote 1

The good thing is that Tech keeps having kids commit then they decommit. So we could possibly still make a run at him, if we have a solid year up front. 

Having guys like English, Young, Hambone step up (in terms of pass rush) under Reff and apply pressure regularly will help the new DL coach and help get kids like Hutchings. The DL was solid in the spring game without running the complete scheme. Hopefully they can be that good and better when it counts. 

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Another kid we lost with other FBS offers. Seems to be a pattern here

It's been brought up in the QB thread, but Tech is losing commitments. We aren't fully out on this kid. That staff may not even see the end of the season, if so we will be waiting 

• Downvote 1