Courtside Seats

OK, I have not been around UNT forever, but I have been to many, many college basketball games, and it seems that UNT is suffering from the same "high-dollar, Corporate Courtside Seats" illusion as many other colleges. I cannot believe those courtside seats mean that much to their owners as they are empty 80% of the games I have attended. Sure, there are some true-green fans that attend the majority of the games in those seats, but most of those seats are empty most of the time.

I'm not trying to make trouble for the UNT Athletic Department, I'm just curious what other think about those primo seats that are empty most of the time. Not wanting to stir up the muck without sticking my own neck out to try to help, here are some of my off the cuff ideas. Please let me know yours.

Suggestions:

#1 - Make the courtside seats the UNT Student Section. Chances are that the courtside area would be filled if the students knew they would courtside rather than isolated in a regular section. Possibly it would kick-start a rise in student game attendance? Keep the Ricky V., Dr. and Mrs. P, and any other high-dollar folks/sponsors who actually attend games on the floor if they want to stay, even knowing what they will be surrounded by, but put the other poorly-attending $$$-folks higher up & spread them out so their absense won't be quite as noticable.

#2 - Sell the court-side seats as Day-of-Game sold seats only. Make the seas available to those who are already coming to and are at the game to insure they are filled. Sure, they might not be filled for the Eastern SW Illinois Panhandle State Teachers College game, but they would have been empty in this system, too.

#3 - Make them available to season ticket buyers who attend the games. Create a system of offering the seats to long-time ticket holders by asking them to sign in at a table each game they attend. the Ticket Office staff then compiles the list and calls those who have attended the most a chance to sit courtside for specified bigger games.

What do you think? Should they stay as they are, or should UNT do all things possible to keep them filled?

they should do whatever they can to fill these seats. at last nights game there were enough people to fill the first few rows at least. that would create a much better atmosphere, thereby bringing a larger attendance. the more fun these games are the more people will come. they should also give away a full value meal if the team gets 10+ three-pointers. I'd like fries and a coke with my treat!!

they should do whatever they can to fill these seats. at last nights game there were enough people to fill the first few rows at least. that would create a much better atmosphere, thereby bringing a larger attendance. the more fun these games are the more people will come. they should also give away a full value meal if the team gets 10+ three-pointers. I'd like fries and a coke with my treat!!

I believe I read that the floor seats were sold-out for the season. Now many may be just donating $$ in the name of getting prime seats and then not attending, I guess that's their right.

I'd like to see the seats donated back and re-sold again if folks know they can't attend a certain game. Double sell the same seat if it helps get some bucks for the program and puts a body in them! blink.gif

Well part of buying tickets is having the option to not use them and waiting until the last second to go. I know when I had my Mavs season tickets, they did not always get used, but the heck if I knew if I was going or not until the day of, or sometimes the hour before ohmy.gif

Edited by MootPoint

#3 - Make them available to season ticket buyers who attend the games.  Create a system of offering the seats to long-time ticket holders by asking them to sign in at a table each game they attend.  the Ticket Office staff then compiles the list and calls those who have attended the most a chance to sit courtside for specified bigger games.

We go to almost all of the home games and tried to get floor seats this season, only to be put on the "waiting list", while only a handful of people were sitting courtside. This just sucks! mad.gif