Dirk Koetter: Bucs finding 'too many ways to lose a game'

StealthEagle84

I read this article and couldn't help but think about our program.  For too long, we had this same mentality, this same kind of stigma.  To quote Coach Koetter:  

"I feel like sometimes we find too many ways to lose a game instead of creating ways to win a game," Koetter said, emphasizing that the change starts at the top with him. "Until we change that, we’re going to have nights like [Sunday]. We’re just missing something, I feel like -- and as my title suggests, it’s my job to speak up......  The best teams that I’ve been on beat with one heart and they count on the guy next to them to do their job every time and they win and lose together," Koetter said. "And maybe our fans have cheered for a team like that at one point; hopefully all of our players have played on a team [like that]. I know when I’ve been on teams like that, you can feel it and, man, you want to grab it and hold onto its tail because it’s elusive."

For too long, this was us, coming up with excuses and finding ways not win football games.  I can confidently say that we have that one man that is convicted to win.  This was evident from our win this past Saturday.  I couldn't help think, "here we go again" when we gave up the tying touchdown and two point conversion.  Hell, I was even gut-wrenchingly nervous when we scored our first TD in overtime, worried that we'd miss the tying extra point to lose the game because well, that's we do.  Or should I say, that's what we did.  But Coach Littrell has brought of sense of competitiveness, drive, and determination to win that has been missing for far too long.  He knows no other way than to go balls to the wall and win.  He bet his entire coaching career on this job.  If isn't successful here, he most likely will never get a chance to be an FBS head coach again.  But I am confident to say he will turn this program around.  Not only because he is determined to win but because he has made these players believe that they can.   

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/14384/dirk-koetter-bucs-finding-too-many-ways-to-lose-a-game

• Upvote 1

The problem around here is we accept this notion that things need to take 3-5 years to improve.  The rebuilding mentality.  Coach can’t win unless he has “his team”.  When you have the right guy you will be able to tell year one with the play on the field.  In year one the recruiting will improve. I don’t think we should be playing for a championship but 4 wins and some great recruits rolling in would build my confidence that we have our guy.  

• Upvote 4