DRC: Bringing pressure on defense a focus for UNT

Brett Vito

59 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I'm pretty average on my football knowledge, and even I was yelling this year when we gave that kind of cushion on 3rd and 3. I was even more frustrated when, on the very next play, they were on the line. 

It's a bend don't break philosophy that heavily relies on defensive linemen keeping everything in check by plugging running holes and not giving QB forever to throw. We struggled to have consistent Dline play and McCarney and Co kept doing the bend don't break philosophy. It was a disastrous recipe. It worked in 2013 because we 1) played one of the easiest schedules in the country and 2) We had FBS level defensive linemen with a NFL linebacker to compliment.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I don't care if we blitz 100% of the time or 0% of the time, just as long as the corners aren't 15 yards off the line. Most frustrating football I've ever watched.

"Oh it's 3rd and 3? Well we better have them line up a few extra yards back just in case" 

I agree with you but we should be prepared, they will give up more big plays and that could lead to us losing some games we may not should have lost.  However, I would prefer that versus a death by a thousand cuts.  Also we should have an offense now that can come from behind.  Mac's record when coming from behind was horrendous.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I agree with you but we should be prepared, they will give up more big plays and that could lead to us losing some games we may not should have lost.  However, I would prefer that versus a death by a thousand cuts.  Also we should have an offense now that can come from behind.  Mac's record when coming from behind was horrendous.

I felt like Mac and Dickey had a "let's not really try until we're behind by 14" offensive philosophy. It's as if the team didn't really wake up until then.

• Upvote 3

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:29 PM, meangreendork said:

I felt like Mac and Dickey had a "let's not really try until we're behind by 14" offensive philosophy. It's as if the team didn't really wake up until then.

See, to me, it was actually the opposite. Once we fell behind by that much, especially in OOC games, give-up mounted fast.

Before that point, both of those guys just believed that their gameplans of run, run, run, punt was effective enough to stay in games tot he point that the occasional downfield pass would help win them the game. And we have proof that when we had a hard-hitting defense and a great special teams, those gameplans could win, since that was the recipe in 2002-2004 and 2013. Unfortunately, at no other point did we have that combo under those tow or under Dodge's spread offense, so we have enjoyed major suckitude since 1998.