Is this the beginning of the P5 split?

GreenTexan13

http://www.fbschedules.com/2015/12/big-12-strength-of-schedule-requirement/

It seems as though the debate over who gets to be in the top 4 for the playoffs is always concerning the strength of the schedule and the W-L column.

The article talks about the limit on FCS teams playing P5's. I wonder what happens when the money games go away for the G5's when the P5's ultimately stick with just playing each other?

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

That's a long way off as yet. Teams like Iowa State, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Kentucy, Washington State, Oregon State and others need to play G5 teams to have a chance at getting to six wins. Onlly a few teams frrom each P5 conference have a realistic chance each year at the playoff and thus are worried about strength of schedule. The rest have fan bases tha want wins and bowl games. 

• Upvote 1

I hope not but it is looking that way.  I think CFB people are being duped into thinking they are like the NFL.  Key difference between college and the NFL are unions for the players and revenue sharing for the franchises.  The NFL has taken the long term growth view when they are faced with the crossroads.  Over the past few years I have found myself less interested in the power conference college football ball because the super conferences have diluted what being the conference champion means.  Like this year for example Iowa could have won the Big 10 without playing arguably the best team in their conference Ohio State.  The conferences, schools and bowl organizations have been greedy and selfish to the determint of the sport.  Some the best games that made College Football the game that it is are no longer played regularly if at all.   Rivalry games now all but dead due to greed:

Texas vs Texas A&M

Alabama vs Tennessee

Oklahoma vs Nebraska

Michigan vs Notre Dame

Pitt vs West Virginia

Cincinnati vs Louisville

West Virginia vs Virginia Tech

Pitt vs Penn State

I used to mark some of these game on my calendar.  Now when they play next, I probably won't remember they were rivals and most of their current students won't either.  When I say all but dead it mean that a class of students could complete their 4 or 5 years as an undergraduate and never see a game against a rival.  Once the chain is broken it hard to get the energy back especially if don't play at least once every 2 years.

• Upvote 7

I hope not but it is looking that way.  I think CFB people are being duped into thinking they are like the NFL.  Key difference between college and the NFL are unions for the players and revenue sharing for the franchises.  The NFL has taken the long term growth view when they are faced with the crossroads.  Over the past few years I have found myself less interested in the power conference college football ball because the super conferences have diluted what being the conference champion means.  Like this year for example Iowa could have won the Big 10 without playing arguably the best team in their conference Ohio State.  The conferences, schools and bowl organizations have been greedy and selfish to the determint of the sport.  Some the best games that made College Football the game that it is are no longer played regularly if at all.   Rivalry games now all but dead due to greed:

Texas vs Texas A&M

Alabama vs Tennessee

Oklahoma vs Nebraska

Michigan vs Notre Dame

Pitt vs West Virginia

Cincinnati vs Louisville

West Virginia vs Virginia Tech

Pitt vs Penn State

I used to mark some of these game on my calendar.  Now when they play next, I probably won't remember they were rivals and most of their current students won't either.  When I say all but dead it mean that a class of students could complete their 4 or 5 years as an undergraduate and never see a game against a rival.  Once the chain is broken it hard to get the energy back especially if don't play at least once every 2 years.

This one still goes on every singly year. The SEC tries to keep their rivalries relevant by never disbanding the games vs cross divisional programs. 

College Football is uniquely American, however how we settle the National Champion is far from American. Our system is more akin to the Soviet Politburo. When a group of "elites" judge teams on nebulous criteria like strength of schedule and style points you have missed the mark! 

The FCS does it the correct way. They have a true champion. It could be done on the FBS level but for many reasons listed above by other posters it won't happen. I am not sure a G-5 school would go all the way, but under the current system we will never know if the Sun Belt or AAC champ is as good as the Big Ten, or SEC champ.

9-3 Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl

12-1 Houston in the Peach Bowl

That isn't right. Period.

• Upvote 6

I have a great simple way to preserve the bowl system and be fair to the best G5 school.  It would inject so much excitement into top game between top G5 team like Houston vs Temple this and big time incentive to be top rank at the end of the regular season.  The top ranked team in FBS gets host the nearest bowl against top ranked G5 team.  This year Clemson would get rewarded by getting to play the Orange Bowl against Houston.  Then you can just restore some the traditional conference match up in the bowls.  Select the top 2 or top 4 teams after the bowl are played.  And the kicker is for scheduling purposes the bowl must be played between December 26 and January 3rd.  We end up with great bowl games with tons of interest cause any team in the top 6-8 counting an undefeated or 1 loss G5 bowl winner who knock off number 1.  The top spot in the ranking would be even more valued because with that you get essentially a home game that in a lot of years should be a cupcake. 

I am excited that BYU vs Utah will take place again in the LV Bowl.  I love following BYU and hope they can keep up with the Pac 12 Utes.  It is a shame Texas and A&M is no longer something I can look forward to.  

GMG