LBs

GOMG2013

Any good defense is going to have solid LBs.  Yes the DL and DBs could be better, but the glaring drop off from our 2013 team is the LBs talent wise and football IQ wise.

I don't like the way we use our LBs, but it worked in 2013, so it has been successful before.  These guys just can't play this defense.  They cannot cover at all.  And all this reading in the passing game is hurting them in run support.

Our corners are playing off like safeties.  They LBs are supposed to help on the underneath stuff.  They are too slow.  May as well blitz them and have them key on the run.  We are wasting them in coverage.  I think we can improve their play with a different defense, but it may be too late for that.

On another thread there was a complaint about burning the young LB redshirt.  I am glad.  He will have 6 games under his belt and hopefully he can start next year.  We went from Orr and Akunne who are on NFL teams to what we have now.  This is the area of concern.

• Upvote 3

Quick Fix, bench Wallace, slide Judge Fred to MLB, allow Finney to play Weak side, and put Garner at Sam or flip Garner and Finney I really dont care.  Those are the three best LB's on the team besides a hurt Bean.

how about moving number 19 (denton guyer guy) from safety to lb, he had some hard hits against marshall

Or move some guys from offense who have some speed to defense.

Anybody remember Jerry Hughes from TCU? Gary Patterson decided to moved a running back to defensive end and he became an All-American. Sometimes I wish our coaches would think outside the box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Hughes

On another note, has marshall been within 15 yards of any receiver this season?  There was all this talk about how fast he was and what a freak athlete...I'm just not seeing the speed to play that position.  Maybe that is why he was moved to linebacker before???

fast does not mean quick.  He also has technique issues.  He is not a corner.   He has straight line speed, but you have to have flexibility and body control to play corner.

Maybe if we press and he knows exactly who he has to cover.  Any hesitation, or uncertainty out there, then it doesn't matter how fast you are.  Speed going the wrong way puts you out of position more.

Marshall is fast though.  No doubt.  

Any good defense is going to have solid LBs.  Yes the DL and DBs could be better, but the glaring drop off from our 2013 team is the LBs talent wise and football IQ wise.

I don't like the way we use our LBs, but it worked in 2013, so it has been successful before.  These guys just can't play this defense.  They cannot cover at all.  And all this reading in the passing game is hurting them in run support.

Our corners are playing off like safeties.  They LBs are supposed to help on the underneath stuff.  They are too slow.  May as well blitz them and have them key on the run.  We are wasting them in coverage.  I think we can improve their play with a different defense, but it may be too late for that.

On another thread there was a complaint about burning the young LB redshirt.  I am glad.  He will have 6 games under his belt and hopefully he can start next year.  We went from Orr and Akunne who are on NFL teams to what we have now.  This is the area of concern.

I could not agree more. Wallace is not doing the job, by any standards. For the most part, neither is anyone else. At this point in the season get other guys in there. Mix it up and find something that works. I am very unhappy with Cosh. He does not make adjustments worth a damn and just keeps putting something that does not work on the field week after week.

• Upvote 1