How many years to give new Hc

mgfan

How long should the contract be for the new HC. I was think 3-4 years and no longer. I believe he needs time to recruit but we don't have the luxury to keep waiting to win if we ever want to move up in the football world. What are your thoughts on the topic and why? 

• Upvote 1

I've hear it said that we need to make it 5 years to show players and recruits that we really want to win.  I would submit that we need to show the FANS that we are committed to winning.  This is paramount with this next hire.  DO NOT GO CHEAP! 

It's not necessarily a matter of going cheap.  Offer a good yearly salary and good assistants' salaries.  But several "high risk/high reward" candidates have been bandied about here.  That is exactly what Todd Dodge was (although not to the same extent).  And we kept him around longer than we should have because he had too much contract left.  If we bring in one of the younger guys and it clear by year two that he is in way over his head, we want to be able to get out.

• Upvote 1

no one will take the job with 3 years... by the time they are getting their first or second true recruiting class, their contract is already an issue for recruits. 4-5 years is the industry standard at this point so do that. I vote 5. 

Bill Clark took the UAB job with only a 3-year contract.  I'd be thrilled to get a Bill Clark as our next HC.

I like 3 years with big incentives. At the end of the 2rd/ year if  things are headed in the right direction offer a 1 year extension. Hopefully, like @Harry said, the coach will move onto bigger a program leaving us in a great position.

Explain to me how a coach would be able to recruit, especially here, if we did this.

He wouldn't. 

The lowest you could go is 4 years.

That how college football go. 

I like 3 years with big incentives. At the end of the 2rd/ year if  things are headed in the right direction offer a 1 year extension. Hopefully, like @Harry said, the coach will move onto bigger a program leaving us in a great position.

No one we would want is going to take a three year contract.  Recruiting for the first year will be tougher than usual because of the late start with a new staff assuming it is not Canales.  That means a three year contract give BV two full recruiting classes.

• Upvote 1

Five year contract. I don't expect much of anything in year one, four or five wins in year two, five or six in year three and a bowl game in year four. Lots of incentives in the contract but enough of a base to make it attractive. I'd be willing to include an automatic ONE year extension after each seven win (not counting a bowl) season. I still think it's NOT the contract length, it's a willingness to pay for a buy out. 

I wish someone would point out any recruit that shuns a school because of the length of the HC's contract.   Good coaches are going to get hired away and bad coaches are going to get fired, no matter how many contract years they have left.  This is an excuse to extend contracts, not a factor in reality.  Does anyone really think a recruit is going to sign up with a bad team just because the HC has years left on his contract?  If it is a good team, there is not going to be any contract issue. 

As stated, recruiting is not the issue; but in hiring a new coach, the contract length is a big factor.    It if a coach is in high demand than a 5 year contract is probably a necessity.  The problem is that most if not all coaches at this level are going to have agents that are going to probably overmatch any NT representative in the negotiations.