Mack Brown is waiting for our call

gangrene

Getting the Athletic Director position at North Texas would be a dream job for Mack Brown. He would approach it with so much fire and passion that there's no way that he would just be using North Texas to pad millions into his account while he did absolutely nothing.

Wait, wrong on both counts. Brown would be a monumental mistake.

If you guys really desire sizzle over substance, get somebody like Charlie Sheen (Winning!!! is his motto) or Gary Coleman (what recruit could turn down What you talkin' bout?)

Both hires would get more media attention than hiring Mac Brown, and each would certainly perform the job better than Mack Brown.

• Upvote 1

Turning our nose up at Mack Brown?  How the hell is an up and coming coach going to be able to recruit here?  You need a coach whose NAME can recruit in spite of where he is coaching.  If Mack Brown is here good recruits take UNT seriously there is NO other name I have seen on gomeangreen.com that could do that.  Recruits watch college football and Mack is on every week on pregame and halftime shows.  It is silly I know but you have to think like a 16-17 year old.  Get a grip people recruits with choices of any other Texas school right now other than maybe UTEP aren't coming here for any of these "up and coming coaches".   A lot of them think that UNT is a backwater school hiring Mack Brown changes that perception (for some) instantly and it sure as hell does for their parents.  i think turning our nose up at Mack Brown is ridiculously stupid.   Hiring Mack Brown as head coach paves the way for an easy transition from RV as AD when RV's contract is up.  You could move Mack Brown to AD and hire someone from his coaching tree.  And then you could keep that up and coming coach for maybe more than 3 good years.

You know what a mediocre last 20 year FBS history and a hard working "up and coming" coach gets you?  It gets you the 102 ranked recruiting class and a tired frustrated "up and coming" coach that as soon he as put together a winning season is out the door.  Dan Mac and Darrell Dickey were right it is hard as hell to recruit here.  Their mistake was saying it publicly.   i did not like hearing it but that does change the fact that is true.  This year's recruiting class is an absolute lost cause unless you hire someone with Mack stature in Texas.   Goodness how dense can we be?
Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Turning our nose up at Mack Brown?  How the hell is an up and coming coach going to be able to recruit here?  You need a coach whose NAME can recruit in spite of where he is coaching.  

So your argument is that Mack Brown doesn't need to recruit players because, with his name, players will recruit themselves. Where have I heard that before...

• Upvote 1

Turning our nose up at Mack Brown?  How the hell is an up and coming coach going to be able to recruit here?  You need a coach whose NAME can recruit in spite of where he is coaching.  If Mack Brown is here good recruits take UNT seriously there is NO other name I have seen on gomeangreen.com that could do that.  Recruits watch college football and Mack is on every week on pregame and halftime shows.  It is silly I know but you have to think like a 16-17 year old.  Get a grip people recruits with choices of any other Texas school right now other than maybe UTEP aren't coming here for any of these "up and coming coaches".   A lot of them think that UNT is a backwater school hiring Mack Brown changes that perception (for some) instantly and it sure as hell does for their parents.  i think turning our nose up at Mack Brown is ridiculously stupid.   Hiring Mack Brown as head coach paves the way for an easy transition from RV as AD when RV's contract is up.  You could move Mack Brown to AD and hire someone from his coaching tree.  And then you could keep that up and coming coach for maybe more than 3 good years.

You know what a mediocre last 20 year FBS history and a hard working "up and coming" coach gets you?  It gets you the 102 ranked recruiting class and a tired frustrated "up and coming" coach that as soon he as put together a winning season is out the door.  Dan Mac and Darrell Dickey were right it is hard as hell to recruit here.  Their mistake was saying it publicly.   i did not like hearing it but that does change the fact that is true.  This year's recruiting class is an absolute lost cause unless you hire someone with Mack statue in Texas.   Goodness how dense can we be?

UTSA went out and got a name coach with a national championship in Larry Coker. Hows that going for them? I don't want someone to come in here and use us as a retirement community.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With respect, UTSA's experiment with Larry Coker has gone pretty well so far.  Just ask anyone that follows North Texas football.  Coker was hired to start a football program.  He didn't inherit anything.  Not a helmet, a goal post, or a quarterback.  All he had to recruit with was his reputation.  Not the school's but his alone. 

Until we score more points than UTSA, which is soon I hope, I'm in the camp that thinks a national championship ring as head coach might make people notice North Texas State.

Welcome Coach Canales

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

So your argument is that Mack Brown doesn't need to recruit players because, with his name, players will recruit themselves. Where have I heard that before...

RV said that when he hired Teflon Todd. 

Mack Brown wouldn't come here if Sally offered to blow him once a day until he dies. Not gonna happen....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

With respect, UTSA's experiment with Larry Coker has gone pretty well so far.  Just ask anyone that follows North Texas football.  Coker was hired to start a football program.  He didn't inherit anything.  Not a helmet, a goal post, or a quarterback.  All he had to recruit with was his reputation.  Not the school's but his alone. 

Until we score more points than UTSA, which is soon I hope, I'm in the camp that thinks a national championship ring as head coach might make people notice North Texas State.

Welcome Coach Canales

GO MEAN GREEN

And Larry Coker did not win a ring in TEXAS as a head coach.  Never coached at a program in the state of Texas either.  

"UTSA went out and got a name coach with a national championship in Larry Coker. Hows that going for them? I don't want someone to come in here and use us as a retirement community."  It got them from zero in 2007(no football program) to kicking our ass every time we play them.  I believe that someone signature/tagline here is "it sucks being UTSA's bitch"  that is because it does.  SMH

Who the hell has UNT ever hired with the stature in the same solar system as Mack Brown?  Name a G5 program that hired a National Championship winning head coach from an FBS program from in the same state?  Mack Brown calls a recruit he or his parents jump to take the call.  He may not get 5 stars like he did at Texas and UNC but he sure hell could load up 3 stars to dominate CUSA.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

RV said that when he hired Teflon Todd. 

Mack Brown wouldn't come here if Sally offered to blow him once a day until he dies. Not gonna happen....

Are you talk about HIGH SCHOOL head coach Todd Dodge.  When a recruit is thinking about selecting a next level program he isn't dazzled by a first time college head coach.  And Todd recruited the talent that won the Heart of Dallas Bowl.    It is insulting to Mack to even compare him to Todd Dodge and it insulting to everyone's intelligence to get them to make the comparison.  By the way Dodge lost his best QB prospect  (his son) to injury also else things might have been a little different.

• Upvote 1

Who the hell has UNT ever hired with the statue in the same solar system as Mack Brown?  Name a G5 program that hired a National Championship winning head coach from an FBS program from in the same state?  Mack Brown calls a recruit he or his parents jump to take the call.  He may not get 5 stars like he did at Texas and UNC but he sure hell could load up 3 stars to dominate CUSA.

I am not aware of any of our former coaches with statues, but I could be wrong. And I don't think that Brown has the clout with parents that you do. I think they listen, but he would still need to make a compelling pitch to get recruits. If you think that the pitch is "I'm Mack Brown, you will come to play for me" and that will work, then I just don't know how we can discuss any further. I also don't think that he would take a job that actually makes him bust his ass to get it done. I think he wants a job where he can get the best recruits and coach them up, not where he has to work to get the leftovers and then figure out how to win with less talent.

• Upvote 1

I am not aware of any of our former coaches with statues, but I could be wrong. And I don't think that Brown has the clout with parents that you do. I think they listen, but he would still need to make a compelling pitch to get recruits. If you think that the pitch is "I'm Mack Brown, you will come to play for me" and that will work, then I just don't know how we can discuss any further. I also don't think that he would take a job that actually makes him bust his ass to get it done. I think he wants a job where he can get the best recruits and coach them up, not where he has to work to get the leftovers and then figure out how to win with less talent.

Again, I stress we aren't talking about 5 star recruits being recruited by power house P5 programs.  We are talking about recruits with offers from low P5 conference schools and other G5 schools that they may know little to nothing about.  Mack Brown make a recruit not want to hang up on the head coach of floundering program with a losing culture.  How many 4 or 3 star recruits were on that Heart of Dallas Bowl team.   That team probably should have won the CUSA west division and they certainly weren't far from it.  No one expecting any coach to come in here and win the "revenue" out conference games we schedule now.  But if you think that Mack Brown's "half ass" recruiting would not probably yield better results than a young coach (few recruits or parents have heard of) "busting his ass" I think you are sorely mistaken.  We have probably like 15k student living in Denton and have never filled that stadium, even after the Heart of Dallas Bowl.  I talk to students and at 2/3 of them think are athletic program sucks and they go when it is convenient for them to "hang out".   It is apparent to them by what they have seen and heard about the program that University is not serious about putting a competitive product on the field.  And RV's continued employment is symbolic of that.  Hiring Mack Brown would be something to counteract that perception.  So it not just about Mack Brown it about the statement the university makes by hiring someone that everyone knows for being successful in a huge way at P5 school.  It says UNT is serious about winning.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Again, I stress we aren't talking about 5 star recruits being recruited by power house P5 programs.  We are talking about recruits with offers from low P5 conference schools and other G5 schools that they may know little to nothing about.  Mack Brown make a recruit not want to hang up on the head coach of floundering program with a losing culture.  How many 4 or 3 star recruits were on that Heart of Dallas Bowl team.   That team probably should have won the CUSA west division and they certainly weren't far from it.  No one expecting any coach to come in here and win the "revenue" out conference games we schedule now.  But if you think that Mack Brown's "half ass" recruiting would not probably yield better results than a young coach (few recruits or parents have heard of) "busting his ass" I think you are sorely mistaken.  We have probably like 15k student living in Denton and have never filled that stadium, even after the Heart of Dallas Bowl.  I talk to students and at 2/3 of them think are athletic program sucks and they go when it is convenient for them to "hang out".   It is apparent to them by what they have seen and heard about the program that University is not serious about putting a competitive product on the field.  And RV's continued employment is symbolic of that.  Hiring Mack Brown would be something to counteract that perception.  So it not just about Mack Brown it about the statement the university makes by hiring someone that everyone knows for being successful in a huge way at P5 school.  It says UNT is serious about winning.

I don't think I agree that hiring an aging coach with a history of under performing even with the best recruits that hasn't coached at a school without infinite resources in 20+ years and has been out of the coaching game for a couple years means we are serious about winning. That looks like we are serious about hiring a name people recognize and hoping that he can be the Mack Brown from 2000-2008. 

• Upvote 1