DRC Monday column: Painful loss to SMU leaves UNT facing questions

Brett Vito

Also, let me talk about DT and McNulty for a second. 

Preseason, a lot of people were saying "AM can have a breakout season like DT." I said then that this was just pure rubbish.

AM and DT share a great work ethic, no doubt, but that is where the similarities end. 

DT had a MUCH better arm than AM. DT also made much quicker and much better decisions than AM. Did DT have his flaws? Absolutely. But I would have loved to have seen what he could have done his senior year in a 21st century offense. He wasn't given that opportunity.

Which brings us back to McNulty. It's not his fault that this coaching staff either can't recruit or can't develop (or both) an FBS level QB. His arm strength is a little less than what Rodge had and his mobility is NOWHERE near what Riley gave us. Throw on top of that the fact that he has to run the most predictable offense in FBS football, and you have a recipe for disaster. 

I'm talking potential 0-12 disaster. 

Its not McNulty's fault. It falls completely on a coaching staff that can't recruit and develop QB talent and that will not take any chances at all, either in game situations or with player personnel. McNulty will be the QB at least through the Iowa game (DMac is gonna make sure he gets that start back home), so look for the offense to continue to score under 21 a game through the first 3 games.

Mr. Smith, I hope you are a legit talent, because at some point this season, you are going to get your chance. Be ready. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

“They are much improved,” UNT coach Dan McCarney said of SMU. “They have good players, a good plan and good coaches. We knew it was going to be a challenge.”

Yes, coach, they had a good plan. You did not. 

Yes coach they improved while once again you showed your mediocre coaching abilities by regressing in 12 months, you lost to a freaking first year coach that this board was laughing at when hired. Now who is the joke coach.

"McNulty had a tough day, throwing for 128 yards on 34 attempts with a couple of interceptions while constantly being blitzed." Given McCarney's archaic offensive philosophy I would blitz us every down. No defense in the nation will respect McNulty's ability to burn them with a pass because he simply can't. smoo, along with every other team on our schedule knows/knew this, and is going to make our team, players, and coaching staff look like absolute fools every time we have the ball

• Upvote 1

“They are much improved,” UNT coach Dan McCarney said of SMU. “They have good players, a good plan and good coaches. We knew it was going to be a challenge.”

Yes, coach, they had a good plan. You did not. 

And we had up-to-date film on them......they didn't on us. Yet THEY had a better plan? 

I said it on another thread. All they had to do was plan for the McCarney offense. The only difference is the ball comes to the QB a little quicker.