LaDanian Tomlinson on BaD Radio...

Cerebus

I saw him run all over UTEP for the NCAA single game record.  I had no idea those were his only two offers; he's still one of - if not THE - best running back I've ever seen in person.

What people forget is that LT's record-seeting game against UTEP came a week after TCU beat us and our defense held him to just over 100 yards, which was really saying something. LT was amazing and his TCU teams were damn good. But we had a defense that could play. Unfortunately, our gameplan for that game involved running the ball about 95% of the game and the only time we scored was when we had a fake punt get us into FG territory. Otherwise, the UNT crowd chants of "THROW THE BALL" really showed our frustration with Dickey's offensive gameplan in games against non-SBC opponents, which was just get it over with as soon as possible so we don't lose by 60.

• Upvote 2

What people forget is that LT's record-seeting game against UTEP came a week after TCU beat us and our defense held him to just over 100 yards, which was really saying something. LT was amazing and his TCU teams were damn good. But we had a defense that could play. Unfortunately, our gameplan for that game involved running the ball about 95% of the game and the only time we scored was when we had a fake punt get us into FG territory. Otherwise, the UNT crowd chants of "THROW THE BALL" really showed our frustration with Dickey's offensive gameplan in games against non-SBC opponents, which was just get it over with as soon as possible so we don't lose by 60.

If I'm not mistaken, we did hold Tomlinson to less than one hundred yards during that game. In fact, I think he finished with only 75. It seems like both teams were content to just run it, and run it, and run it that day. The big difference was their ability to make the pass when it really counted. My hat goes off to a defensive unit that ranked near the very bottom of the country against the run, but still played tough enough to get the job done against a player of that caliber. No offense to four year letterwinner Ja'Quay Wilburn, but Ladainian Tomlinson was special. Considering the number of quality lineman that we had throughout those years (Phillip Armour, J.R. Randle, and Nick Zuniga come to mind.), I can't help but wonder what might have been.

No offense to four year letterwinner Ja'Quay Wilburn, but Ladainian Tomlinson was special. 

Most fans seem to have forgotten (or not heard of) Ja'Quay, but he was our all time leading rushing (3,120 YDS) when graduated.  Then we run into an incredible run of backs, and first Patrick Cobbs (4,050) and then Jamario Thomas (3,496) and then Lance Dunbar (4,224) passed him.

• Upvote 5

Most fans seem to have forgotten (or not heard of) Ja'Quay, but he was our all time leading rushing (3,120 YDS) when graduated.  Then we run into an incredible run of backs, and first Patrick Cobbs (4,050) and then Jamario Thomas (3,496) and then Lance Dunbar (4,224) passed him.

You won't hear any argument from this fan. If you were to throw in Kevin Galbreath's 2,417 yards from 2001-02, you'd not only have the top five career rushing leaders in program history, but an unbroken line of quality runners, stretching all the way from 1997-2013. That's nearly two straight decades of excellence at the running back position!

• Upvote 1

You won't hear any argument from this fan. If you were to throw in Kevin Galbreath's 2,417 yards from 2001-02, you'd not only have the top five career rushing leaders in program history, but an unbroken line of quality runners, stretching all the way from 1997-2013. That's nearly two straight decades of excellence at the running back position!

The starters were so good that we had a lot of quality backs get buried, guys like Mike Hickmon, Roy Bishop, and Kevin Moore.