SCREW THE MATH: UAB CAN AFFORD FOOTBALL, SO WHY IS IT CHOOSING OTHERWI

Cerebus

SCREW THE MATH: UAB CAN AFFORD FOOTBALL, SO WHY IS IT CHOOSING OTHERWISE?

Many reports have pinned UAB football's pending demise on internal Alabama state politics—specifically, on antipathy towards the program created by the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, home to a far more famous (and successful) football team. Watts, however, insisted the move was wholly financial. At a somewhat contentious press conference, he cited a report from consulting firm CarrSports, which showed that keeping football would cost UAB $7.25 million in 2018-2019.

However, a closer look at the underlying numbers reveals that is almost certainly not the case. To the contrary, axing the sport is a much closer fiscal call than the CarrSports report suggests, and could actually cost the school money. Moreover, the numbers also show that no matter what happens at UAB, no one should expect a subsequent wave of FBS bankruptcies.
Here's why:

• Upvote 1

*sigh* Why do I get the sense that this is just emboldening administrations and BOR's to cut programs across the nation.

While I do count 21 programs (including the Ivy League) that have dropped from FBS/D1A to FCS/1AA, I was surprised that in the history of college football, the all-knowing wikipedia tells me that only Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach St, Pacific, UT Arlington, and Wichita State have had FBS programs and dropped them completely. Add on UAB, and you get six FBS programs to drop football. Ever. Of those, three were California Big West schools that just couldn't weather the economic shitstorm that was the early 90s.

To be fair, I'm quite certain that West Texas A&M was at one time division 1A in the Missouri Valley Conference, and I don't see them on the list of former programs.

Edited by oldguystudent

The 1A/1AA classification system didn't exist unto 1978. When we played Drake the top two classifications were University and College. Both of us were University. Of course the college athletics landscape was very different then.

Since the 1A/1AA (and now FBS/FCS) classification came into place very few schools have dropped classifications. Some of them who have moved back up, and many more 1AA/FCS moved up to the top classification.

As the article explains there is no coming wave of schools dropping classification. Those most in danger are ULM and Idaho. ULM's actually budget and income is so low that it might actually be impossible for them to cover "full cost of attendance." Idaho might do it just because of geographic concerns.

Either one of them will fight tooth and nail to stay in the top classification.

But don't you see? We have to hate all things UNT so fervently that we actually wish for the demise of the football program, because that'll show them what's what. (Who's them and what exactly is what, I'm unsure, but gosh darnit all to heck, I'll show it!)

There isn't a single post in this thread which can be construed to even remotely support that statement.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

UTA was 1-AA/FCS when they dropped football. Chuck Curtis was their coach and he had them playing some decent ball at the time. They had just built their stadium not long before they dropped the program.

Lamar dropped their program and has brought it back.

And West Texas A&M never dropped football, they just dropped down to Division II.

Rick

The UAB program was killed by Bear Bryant and the Alabama BOT who did not want a football program in Birmingham. It was political, not financial.

UAB squandered 20 years to develop such a following and support level that board politics couldn't kill it.

They came up with $5 million in committments after the deal was basically done. Do that two years ago and they can't touch them.

They had funding in place a few years ago for an on campus stadium and the BOT nixed it.They also would not approve a contract that at one time would have made Jimbo Fisher UAB's head coach. Is A-State under the University on Arkansas system or a stand alone like Troy and USA? Makes a difference.

They had funding in place a few years ago for an on campus stadium and the BOT nixed it.They also would not approve a contract that at one time would have made Jimbo Fisher UAB's head coach. Is A-State under the University on Arkansas system or a stand alone like Troy and USA? Makes a difference.

Their stadium plan hinged on a number of non-binding financial committments (pledges) and a naming rights estimate. AState is making people wanting our premium seating sign a binding seven year contract so we can use that money to build a new ops center.

Arkansas State has its own board. Five people appointed by the governor to five year terms. Currently all five board members are alums, and two were lettermen.

Our board is aggressive.

We are absorbing yet another two year college come July 1 as long as things don't fall apart, using a provision in state law that permits certain mergers without state approval.

Our board is opening an English language only campus in Mexico as a "private" college using Foundation assets because then we don't have to have state approval.

We are opening a medical school as a private college on our campus in partnership with New York Technical Institute because as a private school, it avoids state approval.

And despite that, they don't play fast and loose with the money, their guidelines with budgeting are such that we can absorb a small dip in enrollment without cutting the budget and the major services just upgraded our bond rating because of our budget practices.

I think this is the official seal of our board.

1272947.gif

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 1