2013 Top Athletic Revenues & Finances by School

MeanGreen01

This was really interesting. You can also click on the school to see other details such as expenses, salaries, recruiting, travel, and etc. makes you wonder why UT isn't dominating every year. hope you enjoy!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

• Upvote 1

How on God's green earth do some of these schools have budgets much bigger than North Texas? TX State, James Madison, Old Dominion???

66 Old Dominion $36,929,483

67 James Madison $36,072,842
70 Delaware $33,750,927
74 Texas State $29,764,777
78 North Texas $28,800,436

More sports ...example baseball..??

• Upvote 3

I can't speak to Texas State but eastern schools of every size play many more sports than most of those in the west. For example ODU hosts nine men's sports and nine women's sports. Besides basketball, they are a powerhouse in field hockey, sailing and wrestling. IIRC, their athletic budget was larger than ours even before they started playing football.

Athletic budgets at state schools is often a questionable accounting. Texas doesn't allow state funds but Louisiana and others do. Coach get a car supplied by a local dealership for no hard dollar cost, do you count that or not? How about coaches bonuses for tv and radio appearances? Then you add different number of varsity sports into the mix.

I'm not saying the numbers are wrong, just comparing between institutions isn't an exact science. Take the numbers as estimates rather than exact figures.

I can't speak to Texas State but eastern schools of every size play many more sports than most of those in the west. For example ODU hosts nine men's sports and nine women's sports. Besides basketball, they are a powerhouse in field hockey, sailing and wrestling. IIRC, their athletic budget was larger than ours even before they started playing football.

ODU has been playing football for a while, albeit on the FCS level.

North Texas location is worth 1 or 2 million budget dollars IMHO. I know that won't fly with some but I've always thought that for a long time. I mean we do have about 7,000,000 who live within 1 hour of our campus, folks.

Word is we have a bunch of Texas HS recruits who drop in on their own accord at Apogee off I-35E and I35-W for an un-official & unscheduled '"free" visit. As long as they don't talk to a UNT coach all that is on the up and up last time I read NCAA rules on that subject.

If is my opinion that CUSA at the G5 level seems to be at the level (non P5) where you can have a lights out season for a year or 2 and then take a dip in quality but back to winning seasons again. Casepoint: La Tech last year and then La Tech this year). :growl: Last time North Texas had 4 winning seasons in a row I was still a student and then (like many of you) a new alum who just kept coming to the games for about 40 years. (Dickey's 4 bowl games in a row were great for the program but his first bowl team went to New Orleans with an under .500 record).

Our facilities and location will always be a plus no matter how said season is going. What I don't understand is why out of the last 10 years of graduating UNT classes that had we retained "only"

500 true and "green" Mean Green fans (and new alums) from each of those previous 10 years why we don't have an additional 5,000 additional fans joining the "old guard" on the Denton/Alumnus side of Apogee.

What would 5,000 such additional fans have done for the Apogee west side for even a week night TV game last Thursday evening? Is 500 new die-hard young (just graduated) new alums asking too much out of a student enrollment that is 36,000 annually? Only 500? The Mean Green 500 ? Lights out marketing effort to annually recruit from campus and then designate (only) 500 with many of this group who were probably MG fans beginning their freshmen year & then those who were UNT campus student leaders of whom others tend to follow) and then.............. make their Mean Green 500 group exclusive beginning the very first year of this effort and then repeat this recruitment of 500 died in the wool student fans annually until they graduate. We know out of each freshmen class that surely by their senior year we could get a large part of the 500, right?

In each of the next10 years they could have their own special group (The Mean Green 500 or whatever) who'd have pre-game tail gate gatherings among other socials for their exclusive group and then after 10 years of all these Mean Green 500 groups totaled up North Texas would suddenly find itself with 5,000 new fans and new faces? I know...Mr. Simpleton with all this! LOL!

GMG!

PS If health allows, I hope to be watching DW QB the Mean Green this Saturday afternoon at Apogee.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was thinking about this too. If we can continue to grow that awesome student section, which has been amazing the last couple of years, then we will be graduating more mean green fans, possibly mean green club season ticket holders in the future, than we ever have. This is all it takes. Combine this with some great games and winning seasons.... Get your popcorn ready!!

• Upvote 1