MGB: UNT press conference notes

Brett Vito

Maybe Means is blocking Williams from playing so to speak because if push comes to shove they want to see what he can do before they play Williams.

I am starting to fear for your sanity. Means didn't even travel. DW was the third QB. Even if Means was there, you tell him "We don't want to burn your redshirt for this debacle, and then hand DW the ball.

I know you keep grasping for straws since you love this coaching staff so much, but the truth is They Dun Goofed. There is no real logical reason DW didn't get a series to try and move the chains after what the other two QBs threw up there. DW has already used his RS so this season takes a year of eligibility whether he plays a down or not.

I still trust this staff as much as I did before the game, I didn't think Coach Mac walked across Lake Lewisville to take this job, and sometime people make mistakes. Come the SMU game, if they find some QB who can be effective, then they did their job. I don't care who that QB is. If they didn't, then they deserve to get more criticism.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know I'm treading in shark infested waters here, but here's my theory. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the depth chart was this coming into the UT games:

(1) Greer

(2) Mcnulty

(3) Means (with possibility of redshirt)

(4) Williams

I say this because of spring game, who was getting snaps at scrimmages, etc. if this is the case you could see the dilemma they had at UT. If Williams was our next QB after Greer and Mcnulty then yes, just let him play. But with Means there are other considerations: burning his red shirt, possibly shaking the confidence of your young up and coming QB.. Maybe Means is blocking Williams from playing so to speak because if push comes to shove they want to see what he can do before they play Williams. I'm sure the depth chart can change and I may be wrong (more often than not I am), but that's how I see it.

This is CORRECT.

• Upvote 1

Can we please take advantage of mcnulty, DW, or means mobility if they are in there? Roll them out maybe?

Like when Ash rolled a few times and there was tight coverage, but the defender had to leave his man, and ash was able to complete an easy throw. He wasn't improvising and scrambling like Johnny football or trying to create stuff like michael Vick. He just rolled and was going to either take the yards running or pass if the defender left his man.

And for the hundredth time...the zone read would be a lot more effective.

I am starting to fear for your sanity. Means didn't even travel. DW was the third QB. Even if Means was there, you tell him "We don't want to burn your redshirt for this debacle, and then hand DW the ball.

I know you keep grasping for straws since you love this coaching staff so much, but the truth is They Dun Goofed. There is no real logical reason DW didn't get a series to try and move the chains after what the other two QBs threw up there. DW has already used his RS so this season takes a year of eligibility whether he plays a down or not.

I still trust this staff as much as I did before the game, I didn't think Coach Mac walked across Lake Lewisville to take this job, and sometime people make mistakes. Come the SMU game, if they find some QB who can be effective, then they did their job. I don't care who that QB is. If they didn't, then they deserve to get more criticism.

I generally enjoy your post but your condescending tone over this matter is borderline offensive sometimes. You may be smarter than a lot of people on here, but there is a thing called humility every once in a while and learning how to convey your ideas without knocking down others.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

CONNOR MEANS DID travel to Austin.

I will say this again....

I went to every summer scrimmage- the depth chart had DW at the 4.

Like it or not.... UNDERSTAND IT OR NOT.... That's what it is.

• Upvote 4

I am going to go under assumption that Greer will still be the starter for SMU and that we are opening up the competition for #2. I don't see any way that Means or Williams jumps to the #1 after the UT game. However, I am beginning to think that McNulty may have lost his grasp on #2. Once McNulty lost out on #1, and after his performance at UT, which is pretty consistent with anything we have ever seen from him, it would not surprise me one bit to see him fall off the map and either bring up Means or DW to #2 and start getting them #2 reps so they are in a better position to get into a game.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to call it like this...

Depth chart stays the same.

Our QBs had a bad and unacceptable day against a FAAAARRR better defense and a crowd of 100,000 people.

Greer won't play like that against SMU. Not unless his confidence was so throttled that he can't come back from it. I hope for all of our sakes that he can.

• Upvote 3

I'm going to call it like this...

Depth chart stays the same.

Our QBs had a bad and unacceptable day against a FAAAARRR better defense and a crowd of 100,000 people.

Greer won't play like that against SMU. Not unless his confidence was so throttled that he can't come back from it. I hope for all of our sakes that he can.

And I hope you are right. Skipped passes to backs in the flat make me seriously wonder...

It seems to me that people jump a little too quick around here.

DW has become a hero (And has some sort of conspiracy against him from our coaching staff) after one series that he played in the Idaho game last year. What was that score again?

Josh Greer is implied the worst quarterback of all time because of his disgusting performance against The University of Texas home opener with a brand-new coach and a crap load more to lose....

Makes total sense. But I'm not going to question anybody's sanity.

• Upvote 1

DW has become a hero (And has some sort of conspiracy against him from our coaching staff) after one series that he played in the Idaho game last year. What was that score again?

Josh Greer is implied the worst quarterback of all time because of his disgusting performance against The University of Texas home opener with a brand-new coach and a crap load more to lose....

I question my own sanity all the time but that's neither here nor there..

• Upvote 2

Coach Mac pumped up DW before the first game last year, and he was the #2 QB that game.

Thats why people want to see DW. That and the fact the he is the only QB on this roster that has had success on the field in FBS football.

And also his strong showing to start Spring practice before getting injured and falling into the doghouse, which I think may be justifiably related.

I generally enjoy your post but your condescending tone over this matter is borderline offensive sometimes. You may be smarter than a lot of people on here, but there is a thing called humility every once in a while and learning how to convey your ideas without knocking down others.

Then we're even. I find insinuating that DW is lazy or not smart enough to learn the playbook to be offensive. No, you weren't the first, no even the one with the most egregious statements, but you did happen to be the only one who ever talked back after I brought it up.

Thing of it is, I think we are both misreading each other. It's really easy to mistake what the other persons intent is on the internet because of the lack of so many communication triggers that are exchanged in face to face communication.

I think we should just shake hands, agree to disagree about some points, and hope the coaches can find someone to play the QB position against SMU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Either way, I don't see Greer losing the starting job on Saturday.

Greer probably shouldn't. He showed something to the coaches over camp. Unless he goes out there and falls apart in practice this week he should probably get the start again. However, every QB should be prepared enough to play some if the #1 can't get it done, or the #2 or the #3, etc.

And I hope you are right. Skipped passes to backs in the flat make me seriously wonder...

Skip passes to backs in the flat to me was more of a nerve issue than skill/prep issue. This makes sense given the hostile environment. This is why I'm convinced (hoping?) that Greer's issues was a bad day due to a hostile environment with his first start.

I would roll him out to start and give him a short lease and then turn to Means or DW.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Skip passes to backs in the flat to me was more of a nerve issue than skill/prep issue. This makes since given the hostile environment. This is why I'm convinced (hoping?) that Greer's issues was a bad day due to a hostile environment with his first start.

I would roll him out to start and give him a short lease and then turn to Means or DW.

This.

Then we're even. I find insinuating that DW is lazy or not smart enough to learn the playbook to be offensive. No, you weren't the first, no even the one with the most egregious statements, but you did happen to be the only one who ever talked back after I brought it up.

Thing of it is, I think we are both misreading each other. It's really easy to mistake what the other persons intent is on the internet because of the lack of so many communication triggers that are exchanged in face to face communication.

I think we should just shake hands, agree to disagree about some points, and hope the coaches can find someone to play the QB position against SMU.

I agree and I'm fine with that. I'm a big Dajon fan as I am a big fan of anyone on this team. However, I have picked up some red flags not the least of which is, as UNT90 pointed out, his seemingly sudden decline on the depth chart. I try to gather information where I can, and nothing I say is completely pulled out of my ass (for the most part).