Importance of the Mean Green Family

jdennis82

Kirk Herbstriet tweeted out a link to this story on Mark Richt and his development of the Paul Oliver Network.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/07/12/3197627/help-for-when-the-dream-ends-richts.html?sp=/99/210/

In summary, it discusses the depression that can set in when a football player's career is over and Richt's development of a program assisting players in life after football.

I'm sure many will want to spin this as nothing more than an SEC recruiting tool and attempt to poke holes in the entire thing, but I read this and what immediately came to mind was the larger impact of Mac's cultural overhaul in Denton - both in the classroom & the locker room. I don't know details of any similar programs that may exist for our guys but, at the least, the consistent emphasis on academic performance sets our players up to have worthwhile career opportunities when their football days are finished.

The Mean Green Family feels like more than a cliche around this program and stories like the ones highlighted in the story are why that is something to appreciate about this staff.

• Upvote 2

Mean Green Family is far more than a cliché, you're absolutely right. It is truly something special and has helped me through the worst time in my life. Right before the Rice game, my wife told me she had endometriosis. I suited up for the first time, and let it all out on Halloween night. It was therapeutic for me, and the performance on the field was inspiring.

She had surgery right after the HOD Bowl during which they found it was stage 4 and had to remove her Fallopian tubes. We will never have children of our own. And though some may think I'm a weird dude dressed up in a suit, it means everything to me. These players, these coaches, this message board, the UNT Twitterverse, all of the Mean Green Family will forever mean more to me than I can ever thank them for. I am in the best shape of my life, I received a promotion/raise this year at work, my marriage is stronger than ever and I choose to look at the positive rather than the negative in life because of the words of our head football coach. So when some of you say it's just "coach-speak" you're absolutely wrong.

I thought this was just a neat idea for a Halloween costume, but it took on a whole lot more meaning in my life. My support system through this challenging time was the Mean Green Family and I look forward to spending some quality time with all of you this fall!

That's an inspiring story MGD, sorry to hear about your wife's medical issues. I don't want to get too far into your personal story, but just curious if you're considering adoption?

• Upvote 2

Thanks Stan, something we are definitely considering but not in the immediate future. For now, I have adopted every young man that straps on a UNT helmet and will do all I can to show them they are loved and appreciated by the fans. It's been pretty special being able to share messages with some players and coaches who tell me they appreciate me...means the world.

• Upvote 5

Mean Green Family is far more than a cliché, you're absolutely right. It is truly something special and has helped me through the worst time in my life. Right before the Rice game, my wife told me she had endometriosis. I suited up for the first time, and let it all out on Halloween night. It was therapeutic for me, and the performance on the field was inspiring.

She had surgery right after the HOD Bowl during which they found it was stage 4 and had to remove her Fallopian tubes. We will never have children of our own. And though some may think I'm a weird dude dressed up in a suit, it means everything to me. These players, these coaches, this message board, the UNT Twitterverse, all of the Mean Green Family will forever mean more to me than I can ever thank them for. I am in the best shape of my life, I received a promotion/raise this year at work, my marriage is stronger than ever and I choose to look at the positive rather than the negative in life because of the words of our head football coach. So when some of you say it's just "coach-speak" you're absolutely wrong.

I thought this was just a neat idea for a Halloween costume, but it took on a whole lot more meaning in my life. My support system through this challenging time was the Mean Green Family and I look forward to spending some quality time with all of you this fall!

I'd plus 1 the hell outta this if I weren't on my phone. Keep it goin man. GMG
  • Upvote 3

Thanks Jeremy, pleasure meeting you as well. She is much better now, it was misdiagnosed for years and she was always in such incredible pain and I really had no idea the extent of it. I've learned a lot more about endometriosis and the toll it takes on women's lives. She is far stronger than I am and the surgery has helped with the symptoms. The doctor told me after the surgery it was the worst case she has seen. The worst part was we had been told surgery would make it possible for starting a family but the damage was too severe and the doctor told me I couldn't tell her the bad news until the next day so she could recover. Hardest thing I had to do was lie to her when she looked at me from her hospital bed and said "so we're good to go now right?" so she could sleep well that night...

Stuart Scott said it best last night, and like him, I'm no one special just listening to the words of a special man. I'm not even staking claim to the best Mean Green fan, I idolized guys like Emmitt and Fire Fightin' Rick when I was a student in Talons. Harry & all the admins are fantastic for their hard work on this board. Oldguystudent is phenomenal for starting the CrowdTilt campaign. Shoot, there are countless members of this board that are just as passionate & die-hard as I am and there are some who have probably had life throw them things far more difficult. I hope they know that they have a Mean Green Family to fall back on when times get tough.

I'm really looking forward to the Mean Green Club mixer on July 30. Will be a good chance to get to know some of you a bit more in a casual setting because there will be nothing casual about this football season! All business

• Upvote 1

Absolutely. Will be thinking and praying for you both. I had a cousin diagnosed years ago and she said the pain was intense. Hopefully with new treatments, things will improve. I've noticed myself how great the Mean Green Family can be. We certainly stick together and help one another out.

• Upvote 2