Ravens hope for more luck with undrafted class (Zach Orr)

Harry

So i was looking at the inside linebacker situation in Baltimore. Daryl Smith is obviously the first name that comes to mind. He ranked #18 in the NFL in tackles with 123 combined. He also had five sacks. Smith was a second round pick for Jacksonville in 2004 (I think), he's currently 32. Behind him are:

Albert McClellan - Signed from rookie free agency (good note for Orr). 3 years NFL experience 15 tackles last year. I think he contributes in coverage? Similar to Orr as in team captain/huge contributor at Marshall (CUSA shoutout).

Josh Bynes - Also signed from rookie FA. 2 year guy out of Auburn. Bynes has been waived from the practice squad, resigned and then moved up to play. His slot doesn't seem secure although he's a solid special teams contributor (i think). Been on the final roster since 2012.

D.J Bryant -"D.J. Bryant was signed to a Reserve/Future contract with the Ravens on 2/6/13...Signed to the Ravens’ practice squad on 12/12/12...Released by the New York Jets on 12/4/12 after being signed to the practice squad on 11/5/12...Waived by Indianapolis on 10/18/12 after being signed to the practice squad on 10/9/12...Released by Tampa Bay on 10/2/12 after being signed to the practice squad on 9/18/12...Waived by Houston on 8/31/12 after originally signing as a rookie free agent on 5/14/12." So yeah this was too annoying to not just copy. He hasn't really contributed, another Rookie FA.

Arthur Brown - Drafted out of K-state last year in the second round. Likely not going anywhere 3 picks were traded to Seattle in order to get brown in 2013. 15 tackles last season but also recovered from a sports hernia.

This is of course all speculative. Don't forget that C.J. Mosely was drafted in the first round out of 'Bama. I feel like he picked/got picked for a tough crowd. I definitely think Orr has the talent to bump off a few of these guys. And, if he survives the competition and comes out on top he'll be in the league a long time. He's got a long fight in camp ahead of himself, but he's completely capable. I wouldn't say he has an ideal situation because of the depth of competition, but obviously the ravens allow free agents to make their bones.

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 1