Getting tired of DFW Media

UNTeagle88

If you think pessimism abounds, I'm guessing you were not around while we were on our way to 6-37.

Lets just continue to win.

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with HoustonEagle that during those dark, dark days, there was a strange optimism of righted ships and stocked cupboards. The more the losses piled up, the stronger the optimism got, and the louder the protests of a coaching change grew.

Now, we've got this total first class stadium, helmet decals that people (mostly) like, a winning record, a coach who actually knows what the hell he's doing even if he runs the ball more than some would like and has a great media/community presence, a local bowl game, media exposure, increased availability of Mean Green apparel throughout the DFW metroplex, East Side to watch away games, and Oak Street because craft beer outside for dirt cheap kicks ass.

But we are pissed off...at what, the past? That we haven't been here for forty consecutive years?

Or is it perhaps that the size of the pond is growing, so the size of the fish, relative to the body of water, is changing beyond the formula of Years Pissed Off X Stories of Hayden Fry Told X Number of Mean Green Club Contributions = Validity of Viewpoint?

Sometimes I think Denton lives up to the hype of abundant mind altering substance.

I'm happy that I live close enough to Denton to go up any weekend I please be it for Taco Lady, Oak Street, home games, JazzFest, freaky people watching at Jupiter House, or weird metal lunch box shopping for the kid at Atomic Candy. I love Denton. I love the progress UNT football has made. I'm going to love going inside the Cotton Bowl for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to love inhaling my Rudy's tacos at the tailgate. I'm going to love screaming NORTH! TEXAS! with several thousand of my UNT cohorts until I'm unable to speak at work on Thursday.

I'm pretty stoked about the overall situation right now. So screw me, I guess.

• Upvote 5

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with HoustonEagle that during those dark, dark days, there was a strange optimism of righted ships and stocked cupboards. The more the losses piled up, the stronger the optimism got, and the louder the protests of a coaching change grew.

Now, we've got this total first class stadium, helmet decals that people (mostly) like, a winning record, a coach who actually knows what the hell he's doing even if he runs the ball more than some would like and has a great media/community presence, a local bowl game, media exposure, increased availability of Mean Green apparel throughout the DFW metroplex, East Side to watch away games, and Oak Street because craft beer outside for dirt cheap kicks ass.

But we are pissed off...at what, the past? That we haven't been here for forty consecutive years?

Or is it perhaps that the size of the pond is growing, so the size of the fish, relative to the body of water, is changing beyond the formula of Years Pissed Off X Stories of Hayden Fry Told X Number of Mean Green Club Contributions = Validity of Viewpoint?

Sometimes I think Denton lives up to the hype of abundant mind altering substance.

I'm happy that I live close enough to Denton to go up any weekend I please be it for Taco Lady, Oak Street, home games, JazzFest, freaky people watching at Jupiter House, or weird metal lunch box shopping for the kid at Atomic Candy. I love Denton. I love the progress UNT football has made. I'm going to love going inside the Cotton Bowl for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to love inhaling my Rudy's tacos at the tailgate. I'm going to love screaming NORTH! TEXAS! with several thousand of my UNT cohorts until I'm unable to speak at work on Thursday.

Exactly this.

Look, y'all love to sit around and talk about how we're so much less negative than bigger sports forums and that's a lie. Completely, not even close whatsoever. This place does have a bad rep among Mean Green land because of things like this very thread. I'll admit it, I've contributed my fair share to the negativity. But the problem here is that this place IS BAD. It looks BAD. So much complaining, so much negativity and when you call someone out for their terrible attitude, they tell you to stop blowing sunshine up everyone's asses. It's mindboggling. This is the best time in UNT's history which we don't even know whether will remain this way. But instead of discussing football, people complain that the Cowboys bumped the Mean Green.

I see a lot of why people from other fanbases make fun of this place; it's because it's all infighting and a hilarious sense of grandeur. Like it or not, we are fighting an uphill battle and today is the first of many battles. This thread is stupid.

But moreover, this thread is symptomatic of this place being a beating, a negative echo chamber that shuns the outsiders because you're not welcome unless you use funny witticisms and post good GIFs. This is a fantastic place to get updates on Mean Green land, but the conversations are just piss poor led by people who have made a career of bitching and moaning because people don't worship UNT and the AD not worshipping their ideas to the point of bowing to them simply because they donate $500 a year.

Take, for example, the ticket fiasco. Clearly this office is new at distributing this many tickets for a bowl game. They were overwhelmed my demand. Hell, their stadium only seats 30,000. Yet all we can do is sit around and circlejerk about how "heads need to roll."

Personally, my favorite complaint revolves around Villareal. Look around--UNT before RV was, what, in a decrepit stadium, barely FBS, a running joke across the country in basketball and football, students don't care and neither do alumni. Everything is falling apart. Everyone treats UNT as a commuter school. LOOK AROUND. Apogee, a Dallas Bowl, likely a 40K attended game, Dallas celebrating the Mean Green, a fancy scoreboard at the Pit, record setting attendance, 26k at a late season game, rivals, a new conference, good uniforms, not being looked at as a joke, incredible student support on par or better than a lot of Big 12 schools...yet you still whine and complain. It's a disgusting echo chamber.

There's nothing wrong with nitpicking but UNT can DO NOTHING ever correctly for you people. Whatsoever. It always offends someone. Everyone points at the millennials for being a "me" generation...well, the amount of self-servitude and arrogance from this place is disgusting, revolting and problematic. That someone has to be the loudest MF'er on this board. This place is like a small town. Unhealthy and nosy.

Maybe something would get done if the mods would do something other than take out their insecurities in life and from high school in other places rather than just post GIFs and haikus.

But maybe I'm in dreamland.

You know why I keep coming back? This place SHOULD be a great gathering place for Mean green fans. But it's not. It's a d**k-measuring contest.

I have no doubt every one of y'all would be great to kick back and drink a beer with before a game. But on here, everyone gets a little braver and thinks that everyone should cower to their complaints.

When I lived in Keller circa 2006, UNT was a joke athletically which bled over into academic beliefs. Different story now. UNT was irrelevant in Houston and I got so many "...why not go to UH or A&M?" questions. I run into UNT grads every where from Connecticut to NYC to Atlanta proudly repping the Mean Green. People in ATL think we're the new Boise State because of that game we played versus them combined with our bowl game. But maybe I'm blowing sunshine up everyone's asses.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Take, for example, the ticket fiasco. Clearly this office is new at distributing this many tickets for a bowl game. They were overwhelmed my demand. Hell, their stadium only seats 30,000. Yet all we can do is sit around and circlejerk about how "heads need to roll."

I'd accept rusty at handling thousands of tickets within a couple weeks time frame but not new. We had 4 consecutive years of bowl games (2001 through 2004) and I do not recall the type of situation that has happened this year happening. Additionally, the lead time between when the bowl invite was accepted versus when the bowl took place was about the same. There might be new/different people running the ticket office than before but us playing in a bowl game is not something we haven't done that long ago.

For the 4 New Orleans bowl games, we were invited the last game of the season which was around the end of November. At the time the NOB was the first bowl of the post season and so tickets had to be bought and distributed at about the same pace as was the case with the HoD Bowl.

Heck, I don't recall any issues the two times NT went to the NCAA tournament recently and the turn around for that is measured in days, not weeks.

I'm not calling for people to be fired or anything but it is a huge black eye on the reputation of the department when there is a tremendous opportunity to increase season ticket sales next season.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131230-football-fans-given-options-on-delivery-of-tickets.ece

The dude delivered tickets himself. What more would you like him to do? They screwed up, admitted it and are now doing what they can to resolve the issue.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131230-football-fans-given-options-on-delivery-of-tickets.ece

The dude delivered tickets himself. What more would you like him to do? They screwed up, admitted it and are now doing what they can to resolve the issue.

I can't tell you what they want, because I'd get banned.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'd accept rusty at handling thousands of tickets within a couple weeks time frame but not new. We had 4 consecutive years of bowl games (2001 through 2004) and I do not recall the type of situation that has happened this year happening. Additionally, the lead time between when the bowl invite was accepted versus when the bowl took place was about the same. There might be new/different people running the ticket office than before but us playing in a bowl game is not something we haven't done that long ago.

For the 4 New Orleans bowl games, we were invited the last game of the season which was around the end of November. At the time the NOB was the first bowl of the post season and so tickets had to be bought and distributed at about the same pace as was the case with the HoD Bowl.

Heck, I don't recall any issues the two times NT went to the NCAA tournament recently and the turn around for that is measured in days, not weeks.

I'm not calling for people to be fired or anything but it is a huge black eye on the reputation of the department when there is a tremendous opportunity to increase season ticket sales next season.

How is the NO Bowl same at all? It's not. Probably 10K tickets total. Double that.

How is the NO Bowl same at all? It's not. Probably 10K tickets total. Double that.

I've heard from several people that we've sold close to 10,000 tickets for the HoD bowl through the NT ticket office. This was last night at the NT Alumni Assoc. event.

We might have 20,000 NT fans at the game but they didn't all buy their tickets through the NT ticket office.

I've heard from several people that we've sold close to 10,000 tickets for the HoD bowl through the NT ticket office. This was last night at the NT Alumni Assoc. event.

We might have 20,000 NT fans at the game but they didn't all buy their tickets through the NT ticket office.

You do realize our first allotment was 10K? We had to buy a 2nd one.

• Downvote 2

You do realize our first allotment was 10K? We had to buy a 2nd one.

I thought our first allotment was only 5k? If we had sold through that we only have people that bought tickets reporting seats (here on GMG.com) in sections 26, 25, 24 and 23 with students in sections 19, 20 and 21 (and the band in 22?). If we did indeed have sales that high I think we'd see more people reporting tickets for more sections.

I'm still going to go with what I heard last night based on who this person is and the likelihood this person has very good information on just how many tickets have been sold through the ticket office.

I thought our first allotment was only 5k? If we had sold through that we only have people that bought tickets reporting seats (here on GMG.com) in sections 26, 25, 24 and 23 with students in sections 19, 20 and 21 (and the band in 22?). If we did indeed have sales that high I think we'd see more people reporting tickets for more sections.

I'm still going to go with what I heard last night based on who this person is and the likelihood this person has very good information on just how many tickets have been sold through the ticket office.

We'll see in 24 hours.

Exactly this.

Look, y'all love to sit around and talk about how we're so much less negative than bigger sports forums and that's a lie. Completely, not even close whatsoever. This place does have a bad rep among Mean Green land because of things like this very thread. I'll admit it, I've contributed my fair share to the negativity. But the problem here is that this place IS BAD. It looks BAD. So much complaining, so much negativity and when you call someone out for their terrible attitude, they tell you to stop blowing sunshine up everyone's asses. It's mindboggling. This is the best time in UNT's history which we don't even know whether will remain this way. But instead of discussing football, people complain that the Cowboys bumped the Mean Green.

I see a lot of why people from other fanbases make fun of this place; it's because it's all infighting and a hilarious sense of grandeur. Like it or not, we are fighting an uphill battle and today is the first of many battles. This thread is stupid.

But moreover, this thread is symptomatic of this place being a beating, a negative echo chamber that shuns the outsiders because you're not welcome unless you use funny witticisms and post good GIFs. This is a fantastic place to get updates on Mean Green land, but the conversations are just piss poor led by people who have made a career of bitching and moaning because people don't worship UNT and the AD not worshipping their ideas to the point of bowing to them simply because they donate $500 a year.

Personally, my favorite complaint revolves around Villareal. Look around--UNT before RV was, what, in a decrepit stadium, barely FBS, a running joke across the country in basketball and football, students don't care and neither do alumni. Everything is falling apart. Everyone treats UNT as a commuter school. LOOK AROUND. Apogee, a Dallas Bowl, likely a 40K attended game, Dallas celebrating the Mean Green, a fancy scoreboard at the Pit, record setting attendance, 26k at a late season game, rivals, a new conference, good uniforms, not being looked at as a joke, incredible student support on par or better than a lot of Big 12 schools...yet you still whine and complain. It's a disgusting echo chamber.

There's nothing wrong with nitpicking but UNT can DO NOTHING ever correctly for you people. Whatsoever. It always offends someone. Everyone points at the millennials for being a "me" generation...well, the amount of self-servitude and arrogance from this place is disgusting, revolting and problematic. That someone has to be the loudest MF'er on this board. This place is like a small town. Unhealthy and nosy.

Maybe something would get done if the mods would do something other than take out their insecurities in life and from high school in other places rather than just post GIFs and haikus.

But maybe I'm in dreamland.

You know why I keep coming back? This place SHOULD be a great gathering place for Mean green fans. But it's not. It's a d**k-measuring contest.

I have no doubt every one of y'all would be great to kick back and drink a beer with before a game. But on here, everyone gets a little braver and thinks that everyone should cower to their complaints.

When I lived in Keller circa 2006, UNT was a joke athletically which bled over into academic beliefs. Different story now. UNT was irrelevant in Houston and I got so many "...why not go to UH or A&M?" questions. I run into UNT grads every where from Connecticut to NYC to Atlanta proudly repping the Mean Green. People in ATL think we're the new Boise State because of that game we played versus them combined with our bowl game. But maybe I'm blowing sunshine up everyone's asses.

Let me put this in terms you might understand.

Let's pretend you had a girlfriend (I know, just bear with me). Let's pretend you'd watched this girlfriend cheat on you for years (ok, maybe this isn't so hard) and she was physically abusive. Every year she said things would change and that she "LOVES" you.

Then, over time she only cheated on you occasionally, and never with guys she met at Comic Con. And the beatings became emotional abuse instead of hitting you. Yes, things are way better...but you still bear the scars of the past and flinch when she reaches past you to answer the phone calls of other dudes.

There, now you can relate.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Wife and I + a whole lot of students will be in Sec. 19

oldguystudent, I don't know who you are, but I am looking forward to riding the train with you tomorrow as I too make my first trip inside the Cotton Bowl. Who am I? I'm Mean Green Man