8 of UNLV’s best moments this football season

Harry

The best season UNLV’s seen in 13 years had plenty of moments worth talking about.

Here are eight of the most notable — not necessarily because they were the most glamorous, but because together they paint a picture of a team that fought its way to the finish line against the odds.

1. One play to rule them all

When quarterback Caleb Herring talked to RJ reporter Mark Anderson late last month, Herring said there was one play this season that made all the difference in the world: A 50-yard pass from Herring to Devante Davis that changed the momentum of what was looking to be a blowout loss to Central Michigan.

That pass set up a touchdown just before halftime that changed not only the outcome of that game — which ended in a 31-21 UNLV victory — but of the season, too.

The game gave UNLV the push it needed to have a successful season and is widely viewed as the game that saved Coach Bobby Hauck’s job.

2. Kohorst’s game-winning field goal

The Rebels were down 36-37 against Hawaii in October when things started to look up at the end of the fourth quarter.

With five seconds left on the clock, the Rebels found themselves in field goal range and sent senior placekicker Nolan Kohorst onto the field.

Kohorst kicked a 44-yard field goal as time expired to give the Rebels a 39-37 win.

The victory marked the first time UNLV had won four games in a row since 2000.

3. Fremont Cannon comes home

When the Rebels won the Battle for Nevada in October by beating UNR 27-22, they got to bring the Fremont Cannon back to Las Vegas for the first time since 2004.

That’s almost as long as it had been since UNLV was last bowl eligible.

The annual Battle for Nevada was first played in 1969. The cannon, painted with the winner’s colors, was built in 1970 and is a replica of the cannon that accompanied John C. Fremont on his 19th-century expedition across Nevada.

This year’s UNLV victory also broke the series’ longest win streak: Nevada had won the annual matchup for eight years straight.

Read more: http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/8-unlv-s-best-moments-football-season

Though I was in Apogee or following the Mean Green on the road the whole season, I had one eye glancing out west to my old home looking to see how UNLV did. After that opening stretch of games I thought Bobby was done and that saddened me because he is a great guy and solid coach. Then they started wining these nail biters and getting the win in Reno to bring the cannon home to LV was awesome! I loved hearing how they went up there and stole that game from the mighty Wolfpack who have owned them as of late. UNLV vs Reno games and UNLV vs Hawaii games were two of the most intense rivalry games I have seen. The Reno game was especially messy because they loved to dance on the UNLV logo at midfield. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be watching Bobby Hauck and the Rebels rolling into Dallas to play my Mean Green. I am going to have hold back my tomahawk R-E-B-E-L chop during the game which is almost reflexive when I hear it coming from their band. And the Rebel Girls are worth the standing ovation they will get when they finish dancing. They are very Mavs Dancer like with costume changes and those Las Vegas Surrender, Wet Republic, you name any dayclub pool in the city kind of moves.

GMG

• Upvote 1