UNLV's 'Music Man' moves on

Harry

t was hard not to get caught up in super salesman Neal Smatresk’s high-energy spiel.

Wherever UNLV’s new president spoke, the air felt overcaffeinated. Smatresk was a drum major with a remarkable gift of gab, a genuine one-man pep rally. By the time the guy finished firing up the townsfolk, they were tempted to follow him down the street like rubes from “The Music Man.”

When Smatresk said, “Ya got trouble,” he was very persuasive. Despite the obvious fiscal and political obstacles, he appeared supremely confident — even unflappable. He was so excited to lead UNLV through its economic storm and into its bright future, he couldn’t wait to get started.

That was back in August 2009.

Barely four years later, Smatresk just closed the deal on the president’s job at the University of North Texas, Denton. Las Vegas townies are still tuning up their trombones, but our music man is moving on.

Read more: http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/john-l-smith/unlvs-music-man-moves

The problem that all the UNLV people are having is that they know nothing about UNT. Nothing about Denton. And, it is obvious we have some of the same challenges. I have learned in life, you celebrate the time you spend with someone, and then work to find a replacement. It CLEARLY sounds that UNLV is a better lace that when our new President started at UNLV. And, that's what is called "job well done."

I just think they are hurt right now. But, I am excited to welcome our new Music Man. As others have stated, "it's another good get". The Mean Green Nation's time has come!!!!

• Upvote 1

Funny all the musical metaphors. When I (fortunately) had a piano teacher who convinced me that my talents lay elsewhere than being a music major at UNT (hey, I had tried majoring in everything else, so why not), she said, "our best students can only get jobs playing in lounges in Las Vegas". And yeah, a lot of people would love to do just that. So, I guess it's possible that we know more about Vegas than Vegas knows about us.

• Upvote 1