College Football Poll Predicts 9-3 Season For Mean Green

MeanGreen61

In a coin flip you have two variables...heads and tails. In computer rankings there is no such 'evening out'. As an example, if you used computer data for a new product rollout, or what markets are more likely to be profitable to you, and you could only be right half of the time there would be no need for marketing, budgets, etc

Give it a rest...you don't have to be negative about all Mean Green athletics.

I was waiting for this. There is no doubt that the odds are 50/50 every time you flip a coin.

Now, go flip a coin 10 times and see if you guess all 10 right.

The odds of the computer being right aren't even 50/50 every year.

Now, what information is the computer using for us at DE? Or WR? Or possible QB? Hell, does the computer even know who we are starting at QB? What about center? Has this computer magically predicted the injuries we or our opponents will have this year?

You wanna believe this crap, go right ahead, just don't bag on me for pointing out its only a guess.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, contrare, my Mean Green friend. Just don't buy into BS preseason predictions., whether they are 0-12 or 12-0.

Just cause I'm not a sunshine pumper like you doesn't mean I don't wanna win.

Ever notice it's the sunshine pumpers that always go personal with this stuff?

Don't believe that anyone would ever think considering you as of you as a sunshine pumper, maybe a Negative Norris, but never a sunshine pumper

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seeing someone, anyone envision us having an awesome season for the first time in about a decade is refreshing to say the least. But, let's keep this in the context of a whole sea of preseason predictions. This computer is THE one outlier--an anomaly among all the prognosticators/computers that have examined this upcoming season. I don't know their exact methodology, but they might be simply plugging in last year's record, number of returning starters, and this year's strength of schedule. Based on those factors, I could see how one could really overestimate our record. That formula might be highly accurate for most teams, but I don't really know if it fits for this team. For instance, a lot of our own fans see the fate of our season resting on two or three backups supplanting starters. The computer, by contrast, would probably knock off a couple wins if that were to happen. What I mean is that it seems to be VERY complicated regarding who will/won't or should/shouldn't even start for this team. Thus, where this formula might have pinpoint accuracy in some years, it might not tell much of anything about this team's future. And that's ok--that's the magic of watching a college football season unfold.

9-3 is plausible, but it would mean we won EVERY toss-up game. Who knows? Maybe the karmic wheel will finally turn our way. It's fun to hope, but let's not lose our heads and concoct unrealistic expectations based on one bizarre computer report.