Free Speech, Not in a Republican controlled Texas Senate

Oh man. Robert's Rules of Order. Reminds me of some of the more cantankerous moments during meetings back in ye olde' timey fraternity days. I completely understand the underlying intent of the rules to run an orderly and efficient meeting, but man, there were a couple guys in our chapter who memorized those damn things and did use them as a tool to manipulate and push their own agendas through. The rest of us who really just wanted to hang out, drink beer, and maybe enjoy the company of the occasional coed, would sit in the back of the room, watch the theater of it all, and wonder why we were paying dues to such a bunch of tightly wound future middle managers.

I did my time as social chair, vice president, and president of that fraternity. Never once did I invoke those damn rules of order.

/totallyofftopictangent

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They let her go on long enough. Her point was made when she started, using tired, liberal, catch phrases and words like my mysogyny while speaking to Senator Jane Nelson. Utterly stupid. That they let her go on for more than 15 seconds was a wonder.

If you have something important or useful to say, fine. She had nothing useful to add. Kudos for cutting off her time-wasting speech, which nothing more than re-hashed left-wing screed.

They let her go on long enough. Her point was made when she started, using tired, liberal, catch phrases and words like my mysogyny while speaking to Senator Jane Nelson. Utterly stupid. That they let her go on for more than 15 seconds was a wonder.

If you have something important or useful to say, fine. She had nothing useful to add. Kudos for cutting off her time-wasting speech, which nothing more than re-hashed left-wing screed.

I kinda stopped listening when she said she was moving to New York. Something made me believe she wasn't a native Texan.

• Upvote 5

Robert's Rules of Order - Summary Version

For Fair and Orderly Meetings & Conventions

All remarks must be directed to the Chair. Remarks must be courteous in language and deportment avoid

all personalities, never allude to others by name or to motives!

Point of Privilege: Pertains to noise, personal comfort, etc. may
interrupt only if necessary!
Parliamentary Inquiry: Inquire as to the correct motion to
accomplish a desired result, or raise a point
of order
Point of Information: Generally applies to information desired from the speaker: "I should like to ask the
(speaker) a question."
Orders of the Day (Agenda): A call to adhere to the agenda (a deviation from the agenda requires
Suspending the Rules)
As soon as she addressed Senator Campbell personally she was ruled out of line.

As much as I abhor the Republicans of this State, I have a much stronger allegiance to Roberts Rules. This lady unfortunately wasted an opportunity to speak meaningfully on an issue that SB1 is on the wrong side of history on by initiating a diatribe.

• Upvote 2

As much as I abhor the Republicans of this State, I have a much stronger allegiance to Roberts Rules. This lady unfortunately wasted an opportunity to speak meaningfully on an issue that SB1 is on the wrong side of history on by initiating a diatribe.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks these type of bills will survive the U.S. Supreme Court doesn't pay attention to the U.S. Supreme Court.

• Upvote 1

Pardon me while I get out my crying towel. Both parties (when they are the majority) of trying to bully the other party and throw their weight around. It doesn't make it right, but it a fact of life.

• Upvote 2

"DPS CONFISCATE JARS OF SUSPECTED URINE & FECES, BRICKS, TAMPONS, CONDOMS FROM PROTESTERS AT TEXAS CAPITOL AS FINAL VOTE ON PRO-LIFE BILL NEARS"

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/12/police-confiscate-bricks-jars-of-urine-feces-tampons-condoms-from-protesters-at-texas-capitol-as-final-vote-on-pro-life-bill-nears/

What are they thinking taking away people's right to free speech by confiscating their jars of feces to throw?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1