The New CUSA Wins Over Big Five Teams

Off the CUSA board

The NEW C-USA's wins vs. Power-Five

Conference USA 2013. From ESPN's site, going back to the '02 season:

USM: Illinois ('02), Nebraska ('04), NC State ('06), Virginia ('09), Kansas ('10), Virginia ('11)
UAB: Baylor ('03), Baylor ('04), Mississippi State ('04)
ECU: Duke ('05), Virginia ('06), NC State ('06), North Carolina ('07), Virginia Tech ('08), WVU ('08), NC State ('10)
FAU: Minnesota ('07)
FIU: Louisville ('11)
Marshall: Kansas State ('03), Louisville ('11)
MTSU: Vandy ('02), Vandy ('05), Maryland ('08), Maryland ('09), Ga Tech ('12)
La Tech: Oklahoma State ('02), Michigan State ('03), Mississippi State ('08), Ole Miss ('11), Illinois ('12), Virginia ('12)
North Texas: Baylor ('03), Indiana ('11)
Rice: Purdue ('11), Kansas ('12)
UTEP: 01-scout.gif01-scout.gif01-scout.gif NONE 01-scout.gif01-scout.gif01-scout.gif
UTSA: none....but you're cool.
Tulane: Mississippi State ('03), Mississippi State ('06), Rutgers ('10)
Tulsa: Notre Dame ('10)<---does that count??, Iowa State ('12)
  • Upvote 2

This just reinforces the fact that - in the modern era - our program has had ZERO signature wins!!! That Baylor team in 2003 was WAY down as was Tech the times we beat them and Indiana?? Hey they were both nice wins for our program but we have failed miserably in terms of big time upset wins which can truly propel your program in a major way. The good news is the odds have to be in our favor going forward.

This just reinforces the fact that - in the modern era - our program has had ZERO signature wins!!! That Baylor team in 2003 was WAY down as was Tech the times we beat them and Indiana?? Hey they were both nice wins for our program but we have failed miserably in terms of big time upset wins which can truly propel your program in a major way. The good news is the odds have to be in our favor going forward.

I wouldn't say Tech was way down the times we beat them. . . . Although they later became better than they had ever been under Leach. But when we beat them in '99, they were 6-5 with a win over OU. When we beat them in '97, they were 6-5 with a dominating win over UT. Those were at some pretty decent Tech teams.

• Upvote 4

I wouldn't say Tech was way down the times we beat them. . . . Although they later became better than they had ever been under Leach. But when we beat them in '99, they were 6-5 with a win over OU. When we beat them in '97, they were 6-5 with a dominating win over UT. Those were at some pretty decent Tech teams.

Hey I grant you that. Heck - I jumped into my pool with all my clothes on when we beat Tech as I couldn't attend that game (I did make the LaDarrin McLane game ouch)...

My point is not that it wasn't a big win for us, and here in the state etc I'm just saying it pales in comparison to things that Monroe has done like beat Alabama, or most recently Arkansas. Arkansas State beat Texas A&M...the list goes on. When you project what those types of wins do for your morale and your fanbase it more to what I am speaking to. So no I don't include the Tech win(s) in that category.

I would go as far as saying we have never had a big win. If I recall, the only ranked team we ever beat in 99 years was San Diego State in 74 (or somewhere close) and the rumors behind that was Hayden Fry voted them strong the week prior, bringing them up in the standings.

We keep talking about the Tennessee win which was very nice but they had a lackluster season that year.

Look at who Monroe has beaten in their short time in IA.

• Upvote 1

Who? Arkansas wasn't good last year, and Alabama was 6-6 in the regular season and unranked the year they beat them. I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have those wins, but they weren't against elite teams either.

EDIT: Actually, Alabama had to vacate 5 of their wins from 2007. . . . So in the books, they only had one win that year.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

I would go as far as saying we have never had a big win. If I recall, the only ranked team we ever beat in 99 years was San Diego State in 74 (or somewhere close) and the rumors behind that was Hayden Fry voted them strong the week prior, bringing them up in the standings.

We keep talking about the Tennessee win which was very nice but they had a lackluster season that year.

Just responding to the Tennessee game comments but after what ULM did to a Top 10 ranked Arkansas last Fall, I will rarely bring up our Vols win on my own anymore but.............I think we'd all take a lack-luster 7 & 5 season any time at North Texas.

The link below shows Tennessee's 1975 W/L record.

The Vols would have been a bowl elgible SEC team back then had there been

as many bowls as today.

It disappoints many of us how we just never built on such positives as we've had in eras even besides Fry's. We must change that.....yesterday. :)

letsgiveacheer, try not to buy into some of the revisionaries we get at North Texas from time to time. 'Fore long, they will having the 1975 Tennessee Vols with "no" wins to fit some kind of on the far side of the moon agenda.

When a progam is not winning, there are all kinds of creative and fictional reasons as to why I suppose and at North Texas, we've seen someone's elses past success gets diminished in order to make someone elses failures not seem so bad. I think that that approach falls on its face everytime, though.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/1975/tn.shtml

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

We will not see any dramatic increase in attendance until we beat someone that matters in a bowl winning season.

I kept waiting for a signature win in the bowl years. It never came. Still hasn't. Hopefully soon.

Disagree with the signature win.

We just need to go 7-5 to pull 25K people in the gates. A signature win gets us close to 30K average.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

Plumm, point well taken.

Let me propose this. Instead of a signature win, we had a signature season in 1978 when we finished 9-2 and ranked 15 in the nation.

Has any other current CUSA team finished so high?

Tulane (leaving) and Marshall have both had undefeated seasons. 1998 Tulane and 1999 Marshall both finished 10th in the AP.

Last year we had a signature "Make Kansas State sweat it out and worry until close to the end" game....

Our alma mater has specialized in the "near miss" games. One only has to wonder if winning such games may have advanced our program to much higher conference environments. UH's 1967 win over Duffy Daugherty's Top 10 ranked Michigan State Spartans did very much for the Cougar football program--gave them the legitimacy they never had. Had Fry's team had only beaten DKR's UT team in 1976, for instance? Few in the lower rung of the SWC ever beat the Texas Longhorns and North Texas almost pull it off first time we ever played them. Final score: 17 to 14....

This I posted on the CUSAbbs board on their P5 wins for CUSA schools thread...

Not listed are any wins over SBC schools or present CUSA schools who will still be in CUSA after 2013.

Also listed are our most recent wins over schools listed below albeit there were some other UNT wins with some of the same schools during the same decade or era:

1947/10/04 North Texas 20 - Florida 12 W

1954/11/13 North Texas 20 - Arizona St 13 W

* Many Power 5 schools including a few from the Southwest Conference would drop UNT from their future schedules after we integrated the Southwest and South with African Americans Abner Haynes and (now Dr.) Leon King.

1958/10/18 North Texas 12 - BYU 6 W

1959....Lost in the Sun Bowl

1961/09/30 North Texas 41 - BYU 30 W

NOTE: North Texas was a member of the NCAA Division 1 Missouri Valley Conference during the 60's along with UHouston, Cincinatti, Memphis, Louisville, Tulsa, among others

1973/10/13 North Texas 7 - Louisville 6 W (All time...UNT: 10 W's UL 7 W's)

1974/11/02 North Texas 14 - San Diego St 9 W (Aztecs were ranked #19)

1975/10/11 North Texas 28 - Houston 0 W (the year before UH joined SWC)

1975/10/25 North Texas 21 - Tennessee 14 W (TN was a decent 7 & 5 team in '75)

1978/09/30 North Texas 12 - Oklahoma St 7 W

1980/10/18 North Texas 29 - Memphis 10 W (Memphis owns this series)! :(

1985/09/28 North Texas 22 - Kansas St 10 W

*4 Yrs. later Coach Bill Snyder (from the Hayden Fry Coach's Tree) would arrive in Manhatten, KS, and (still) operating at the NCAA 1-AA classification North Texas would be his first & only win in 1989 with their last minute drive for a TD which won it for the Wildcats....the rest of his career is NCAA college football history for a program that had been down for well over half a century! I repeat: Well over half a century.

1986/10/18 North Texas 24 - TCU 20 W (While we were playing at the NCAA D1-AA level)

1995/09/16 North Texas 30 - Oregon St 27 W (one heckuva' football game at Fouts Field)

1999/10/16 North Texas 17 - Boise St 10 W (All time......UNT 3 W's....BSU 2 W's

1999/09/18 North Texas 21 - Texas Tech 14 W (All time.......UNT 4 W's....TTU....4 W's

2002/12/17 North Texas 24 - Cincinnati 17 W (New Orleans Bowl..UC was CUSA champ)

2003/09/06 North Texas 52 - Baylor 14 W

2006/09/09 North Texas 24 - SMU 6 W (A 14 game H & H begins in 2014)

2011/09/24 North Texas 24 - Indiana 21 W

Edited by PlummMeanGreen