2013 SI NBA Mock Draft

GreenBat

19cavaliers_80.png

Tony Mitchell PF ntexas_40.pngNorth Texas
Sophomore130402.02.png6-9130402.02.png236

Pick acquired from Lakers: Mitchell is a 6-9, 236-pound beast with undeniable inside-out skills. His production tailed off last season and reports of poor effort -- reports Mitchell confirmed to the media and team officials at the combine -- will stick with him for a while. Still, Mitchell is a tantalizing talent (he compares himself to Denver's Kenneth Faried) whose abilities could make him worth the risk to a rebuilding Cleveland team that suddenly could be flush with promising power players in the frontcourt. The Cavs could dangle one of those players in a deal to bring back the scoring forward that they need.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130522/nba-mock-draft-2013-nerlens-noel-ben-mclemore/#ixzz2U3nqYieI

• Upvote 1

I thought after the combine, he might move up to 15th or 16th. He can't seem to get out of that 20 to 25 range. Also, Cleveland got the #1 pick last night and who knows what they will do. But, there are still several workouts to go through for him, so maybe somebody will take him earlier.

Please God, no! I want to see him succeed and Cleveland is not the place to do it.

Might not be so bad. He'll be able to play next to a real center now in Side Show Bob. Plus, if they take Noel at #1 that's a young running mate to grow with in the front court. And he won't be naively judged anymore because of his lack of scoring prowess. He'd be able to do what he actually xcels at which is defense and rebounding.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Please God, no! I want to see him succeed and Cleveland is not the place to do it.

Look at it this way, he could play out his rookie contract in Cleveland and then take his talents to South Beach....or maybe Team Cuban.

• Upvote 1

Look at it this way, he could play out his rookie contract in Cleveland and then take his talents to South Beach....or maybe Team Cuban.

Could be worse. The pick was originally Lakers. That would SUCK if he went there.

• Upvote 2

There seem to be several interesting fits for TMitch in the 19-25 range where he's currently being projected.

19 - CLE - Young team with a hole at SF. I think he's a better PF, but he may have the athleticism to make the transition.

20 - CHI - I'd love to see him here on a team with such a defensive-minded coach. If they move Boozer (unlikely) or even Taj Gibson since they're wanting to dump salary, it could open playing time on a good squad.

22 - BKN - If they're able to move Kris Humphries, he'd find an immediate role there. He might also grab some SF mins as Gerald Wallace was brutal this year

23 - IND - If D. West leaves via free agency, there could be time at SF on a team set up well for the future. Imagine the rim protection with a Hibbert/Mitchell combo on the front line! Hibbert's size might allow a team to feel more confident playing an undersized (by height) PF like Mitchell.

24 - NYK - Might be a tough fit but I could see Mitchell playing the SF position on offense (he'd need to improve his shooting) and match up on PFs defensively to take that burden off Melo.

The best thing about his being projected in this range (including ATL's picks earlier) is that it would keep him out of the West and any real rivalry with the Mavs.

• Upvote 1