We are on the verge of the most glorious time of the year. Spring football is over, the magazine deadlines have passed and the spring sports season is wrapping up.

That’s right — it’s almost the college sports off-season.

I’m headed out of town tomorrow for a little R&R with the wife. I might jump on the blog a little here and there, but before I bail, I thought this would be the perfect night to start the annual post-spring key questions blog series.

Every team in the country has questions and concerns heading into the off-season, including UNT. Over the next few weeks, we’ll ponder some of them when we are not addressing the news of the day or some other point of interest.

So here goes,

No. 1 — Is Dan McCarney going to be OK?

Being the head football coach at UNT roughly equates to being employed on the bomb squad or repairing power lines. It’s been proven to be a dangerous line of work when it comes to your health. And that doesn’t even take into account the fact that historically UNT has been a place where it is darn near impossible to win. UNT has posted three winning seasons since 1995, all in a row during a run of success under Darrell Dickey from 2001-04.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/post-spring-questions-series-no-1-is-mac-still-the-same-old-mac.html/

Is it just me, are is Vito getting a lot more bold with his comments? Being a head fb division coach is undoubtedly a pressure situation. You got to worry about McCarney and all his health issues, he appears to be the type with no low gears. I do strongly disagree with Vito's slant that NT is some how worst than other HC jobs when it comes to pressure. The NT program may rank very high on the difficulty scale, but it is far from the most pressure packed. Fans' demands and intensity to win here, have to rank near the bottom not top. He is following one of the most foolish hires in NCAA history and expectations are anything but high at NT.

• Upvote 1

GrandGreen, on 06 May 2013 - 11:37, said:

He is following one of the most foolish hires in NCAA history

Now, I'm never one to miss out on getting a dig in on the Oracle of Southlake, but a quick trip to the Hall of Fame forum reveals that nearly everybody thought it was a hell of a hire at the time. Foolish hire in retrospect? Yes. But I'd call it a gamble gone horribly wrong more than I'd call it foolish.
  • Upvote 5